Let's Build An "Empire" AT-ST!

Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
May 17, 2024

IMG_5687.jpg

Well I guess I'm officially a studio scale builder now because I've started buying kits and working on a prototype for my next project while in the middle of my current one. This would've been a self imposed cardinal sin back in my days of building scale armor models. "Thou shalt not start a new kit before finishing another."

So as the title of this thread so obviously says I'll be building the Empire Strikes Back version of the AT-ST, aka the "Chicken Walker". I've always loved this version ever since I saw it in the movie as a kid and the audience let out a collective "WTF was that?!!!". Plus, I'm a legs guy so there ya go.

I'll be using the amazing schematics Moffeaton & Co. made awhile ago. I'm still sourcing the armature but in no hurry since with the exception to the Porsche 935 it's the most expensive part of the build.

I made a prototype of the head last week just to scratch the itch and to get a feel for the scale. I plan on building the subassemblies that I feel can be made without having the armature for reference.

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

More kits will be arriving in the coming weeks and I'll be shortening the list as they arrive.

KITS NEEDED: (Cast part donations and trades welcome)

Airfix 1:24 Messerschmitt BF109E
AMT 1:25 Chevy Titan 90
AMT 1:25 Fruehauf Flatbed
Entex 1:8 Porsche 935RSR
Italeri 1:35 Nebelwerfer
Italeri 1:35 Priest Self-propelled 105mm Howitzer M7
Italeri 1:35 Steyr RSO/01
Monogram 1:35 Sd.Kfz 8-Rad
Tamiya 1:35 M5A1 Stuart
Tamiya 1:35 Marder 1A2
Tamiya 1:12 Brabham BT44B Martini w/Ford Engine
Tamiya 1:12 Ferrari 312B
Tamiya 1:12 Ferrari 312T
Tamiya 1:12 Honda CB750
Tamiya 1:25 SU-100

Last edited:
May 17, 2024

View attachment 1821611

Well I guess I'm officially a studio scale builder now because I've started buying kits and working on a prototype for my next project while in the middle of my current one. This would've been a self imposed cardinal sin back in my days of building scale armor models. "Thou shalt not start a new kit before finishing another."

So as the title of this thread so obviously says I'll be building the Empire Strikes Back version of the AT-ST, aka the "Chicken Walker". I've always loved this version ever since I saw it in the movie as a kid and the audience let out a collective "WTF was that?!!!". Plus, I'm a legs guy so there ya go.

I'll be using the amazing schematics Moffeaton & Co. made awhile ago. I'm still sourcing the armature but in no hurry since with the exception to the Porsche 935 it's the most expensive part of the build.

I made a prototype of the head last week just to scratch the itch and to get a feel for the scale. I plan on building the subassemblies that I feel can be made without having the armature for reference.

View attachment 1821666

View attachment 1821667

More kits will be arriving in the coming weeks and I'll be shortening the list as they arrive.

KITS NEEDED: (Cast part donations and trades welcome)

Airfix 1:24 Messerschmitt BF109E
AMT 1:25 Chevy Titan 90
AMT 1:25 Fruehauf Flatbed
Bandai 1:48 Jagdpanther
Entex 1:8 Porsche 935RSR
Italeri 1:35 Nebelwerfer
Italeri 1:35 Priest Self-propelled 105mm Howitzer M7
Italeri 1:35 Steyr RSO/01
Monogram 1:35 Sd.Kfz 8-Rad
Tamiya 1:35 M16 Gun Carriage
Tamiya 1:35 M5A1 Stuart
Tamiya 1:35 Marder 1A2
Tamiya 1:12 Brabham BT44B Martini w/Ford Engine
Tamiya 1:12 Ferrari 312B
Tamiya 1:12 Ferrari 312T
Tamiya 1:12 Honda CB750
Tamiya 1:25 SU-100
I can send you resin castings from some of those.

It was initially Allan Hansen and then Quincy Cutshaw who did the heavy lifting on the early days armature and head shells, I just provided the pics before they were made public and then officially in print in Chronicles II years later :)

It's SUPER fun, you'll have a blast!

It was initially Allan Hansen and then Quincy Cutshaw who did the heavy lifting on the early days armature and head shells, I just provided the pics before they were made public and then officially in print in Chronicles II years later :)

It's SUPER fun, you'll have a blast!
Well regardless, I really appreciate the work all you OGs did paving the way for the new guys like me. It seems like theres a bit of a renaissance going on in studio scale building and it's cool to be a part of it.

May 23, 2024

IMG_5820.jpeg

Today’s delivery. The separate sprues are from the Monogram 1/48 B-29 Super Fortress. Those have parts that will be used on the feet.

Buying individual sprues on eBay is an affordable option rather than buying the whole kit when you just need one or two parts.

A couple of memories with today's deliveries.

The Flak 88 was my first Tamiya kit. I bought at Kay-B-Toys for $9.99 when I was 13. It was my first "serious" Japanese kit I said. I was blown away and impressed by the fact it came with REAL little screws and nuts to attach some parts. Don't even get me started on the vinyl tubing for the cables. VERY serious. Plus all the figures? A value, indeed.

IMG_5914.jpg

I used to build lots of Testors kits as a kid. I was always drawn in by the photography of the models and packaging. I loved how the models were shown completed on a workbench as if the builder just finished it and you got a glimpse behind the scenes. The advertising at the time matched and I would try to make my desk look like the ones in the photos.

IMG_5915.jpg

Finally another eBay score that goes in the "Why buy the whole cow when you just want a glass of milk?" column.

IMG_5912.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back