Free Pacific Rim Jaeger Pilot Suit?

Maybe dan3088 or phoenixv8 can help? From the 3D prints I can do the molds and fabrication for you.

Perhaps, I know that the Ultimaker 2 could at least do the shoulder pad without having to slice it. Not sure what dan3088 has though for a 3d printer

Perhaps, I know that the Ultimaker 2 could at least do the shoulder pad without having to slice it. Not sure what dan3088 has though for a 3d printer

Iv got a replicator 2 it could probably handle the shoulder aswell in 1 print iv been printing iron man helmet parts recently and they are quite a size.

We need to consider this. So, to create a larger piece, it has to be printed in small chunks, assembled, cleaned/detailed, and molded. It doesn't sound too bad, but the downside is that the parts can't be tested for fit? Is that right?

We need to consider this. So, to create a larger piece, it has to be printed in small chunks, assembled, cleaned/detailed, and molded. It doesn't sound too bad, but the downside is that the parts can't be tested for fit? Is that right?

A larger part will need to be broken down to print. Depending on the geometry it may need supports to be printed with it and they will need to be cleaned off after but if the part prints with out supports there is minimal clean up and the printer prints as much detail as the original file was made with. The better the file the less post print work will need to be done.

Right, but is there a way to test the fit and function before committing to silicone molds?

The sure-fire test is to print the pieces of your part in the expected scale, assemble (don't finish at all, just glue the pieces together), and then check for fit and function.
A digital mannequin is an option as well.I build a 3d model of the wearer, and then scale the individual armor pieces to this model digitally before making any physical parts. This allows me to get much more precise on fit and function without a lot of multiple prints. Of course the results are only as accurate as the digital mannequin's measurements, and other variables have to be taken into account (parts shrinkage from printing, etc.)

Thanks for that info. So the printed pieces can be glued together well enough to handle?

A digital mannequin is ideal, but I think this will have to be a "one size fits most" affair to be practical. There seems to be enough overlap and gaps between parts to be a little forgiving?

Thanks for that info. So the printed pieces can be glued together well enough to handle?

A digital mannequin is ideal, but I think this will have to be a "one size fits most" affair to be practical. There seems to be enough overlap and gaps between parts to be a little forgiving?

Yep, you should be able to work with the parts if you've got a reasonable wall thickness. I would think you'd have at least an inch of height either way from the median, between gap adjustments and the whether the boots have inserts.

I modeled up the shoulder armor for a set of costumes I'm doing for the kids.

PR Shoulder.jpg

I would love to attempt a female suit build! Although all my experience lies in foam and worbla built suits, I would be happy to build someone a suit in exchange for a pep template or something similar...

Just want to check in and bump this thread, since it's been a few months. How's everyone's work going? I see we had @wuwu working on a model of the full suit, how is that coming along? If you need any help unfolding, I've gotten in a lot of practice in the last while and would love to contribute that way, since I don't know how to 3D model. Maybe we can offer not only 3D printing, but simply a go-to resource thread for these drive suits that includes pep? I'm surprised there isn't much enthusiasm for this, considering there's going to be a second movie.

I'm beginning work on the bodysuit patterns. Grading for size will take me a bit of time, but I'm determined to do it. When I can get it done, there will be both male and female patterns since we're doing a Gipsy Danger team.

Thanks to @ToddsCostumes for the hi-res photo gallery. It's been a huge help.

I tried asking another member on the forums about the 3D models he had, but got shot down. I was then going to contact the modeler, but the website seems to have gone down.

Excellent! Anymore research material? I'm working on the screen printing for the undersuit fabric. I think the main thing we need is someone to do the 3D model. Somewhere I saw photos of the actors with some of the armor removed...

I wonder if the armor could be vacuum formed? Could use a reverse mold...

Yes, it can be done. My team at Sector 6 Labs is using the vacform method right now. So far, we've used Eduardo's chest and back pep files and the end product is vacformed 0.06 styrene. I'll make a progress post one day...

Last edited:
A full Jaeger suit would be awesome! I am based in Greece, though, so I'm kind of far away :/ I don't really have any experience in 3D modelling. But I've gained a lot of experience working with leather now, and I've also dabbled in metalwork. But I'm a quick learner, so I can probably figure most things out.

Could I be of use in this project? And if so, how will it work?

Quick clarification - this is for the pilot suits. Since the jaeger models can be found in the video game, they've already been ripped and distributed in another thread. The pilot suits have to be modeled from scratch by willing contributors as there's no source files.

Anything you can contribute is welcome! Location is not an issue.

Quick clarification - this is for the pilot suits. Since the jaeger models can be found in the video game, they've already been ripped and distributed in another thread. The pilot suits have to be modeled from scratch by willing contributors as there's no source files.

Anything you can contribute is welcome! Location is not an issue.

Yeah, I'm talking about this (the black one):

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130707235332/pacificrim/images/d/d6/Drivesuit.jpg

Back