tim's mass effect armor progress

This is so cool. I can't wait to see this thing finished. That matting is a great idea and really flex so you can move around.

wow man! been following volpin and evilfx, but yours is really turning out nice as well!! Any tips on using the dremel to sand? I tried using the dremel to sand the other day on eva foam and it just tore it up pretty bad haha. also, what are you using to get your detail lines in? And did you paint those black areas or is that just the texture sanded off?
Thanks man!
Amazing work! (loving the helmet!!)

Did you scale your helmets up or down at all? I pepped one made by Deadalus Thron from the 405th and it seems a little big, but will probably be ok with padding (no face plate though).

I've also been unfolding a ME2 Blood Dragon set. Got a lot of it done, but I don't have a mannequin so it's not as impressive with all the pieces on the floor. I might start a Blood Dragon set with this EVA foam too.

I still can't figure pep out lol. I'd rather have a helmet that is too big and add foam since i seem to have been born with a larger mellon than most. How hard is it to make a duct tape dummy by the way?

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to make a dummy. Especially with EvilFX's method of heating and bending the foam. I don't think you can do it with out a dummy. Not if you want a good fit anyways.

Ive kinda been working on another project now that I have tons of foam halo reach armor I've been working on the chest for the last 2 days and I got my el wire today and already put it in the back pack thingy and added some of my own artisticness to it.
898ef73e.jpg

40de79ab.jpg

8ae773bf.jpg

67184de7.jpg

22d2fad0.jpg

Impressive! Well done sir. I went out looking for these mats the other day, the ones I found were too small but I shall keep up the good fight.

Impressive! Well done sir. I went out looking for these mats the other day, the ones I found were too small but I shall keep up the good fight.

I dont know if this helps but the ones I got look like this at harbor frieght.
31c198cd.jpg

they only carry them in stores and not on there website item number 94635

fixed up the strapping for my mass effects suit last night but that suit is on hold for halloween, right now I'm trying to finish the reach suit for next weeks release party at play and trade since my local Gamestop has the worsed service I've ever experienced.

5adc26c2-1.jpg

wow that material looks so legit! the armour is coming along great! if i could get any video game armour it would be this mass effect armour.

Very nice! Your builds are looking great! Glad to see that the foam methods are working for others.

timecon's mass effects and halo reach armor

ok worked all day today getting a lot done so here is an updated. also found out that a lot of my friends already have most the reach chest pieces finished doing the same method so you may be seeing a lot of this soon glad I could start a trend for halo. but it was inspired by evil fx's ME armor. also would like to thank Evil for giving tips to a friend at Dcon for me since I wasnt able to go looks like I missed the biggest party of the year, any who, now to pics

fb99470e.jpg

486aa093.jpg

85543d82.jpg

I don't know why but those shots of just the thigh and shin pieces reminded me of the short fighting robot from the Ice Pirates.

Dang man! That Halo armor is from the same foam that you're using on the Mass Effect armor? I'm gonna have to play around with that. That chest piece looks phenomenal.

Question regarding the foam in general, though, and same question as Soloknight6. For those of us interested in jumping into this foam, what kind of adhesives are you using? And does it hold up well to flexing (like do you experience any pieces popping off)? Also, have you bonded any other materials (other than more foam) to the foam, like ABS or sintra?

Dang man! That Halo armor is from the same foam that you're using on the Mass Effect armor? I'm gonna have to play around with that. That chest piece looks phenomenal.

Question regarding the foam in general, though, and same question as Soloknight6. For those of us interested in jumping into this foam, what kind of adhesives are you using? And does it hold up well to flexing (like do you experience any pieces popping off)? Also, have you bonded any other materials (other than more foam) to the foam, like ABS or sintra?

just plain hot glue from Walmart I know that somewhere in evil's thread jane mentions that he buys a industrial glue or something but hot glue works just fine, now I don't know how fine it would work during a hot day parade but it seems sturdy enough for a convention.

Back