DancinFool - Iron Man Mark 3 Pepakura Foam Templates

Finally have an opportunity to continue work on my armor this weekend, and I'm finishing up the arm. Looking at your images (great timing!) I'm assuming that the bicep and forearm would, ideally, be joined by the elbow guard for wearing? A chicago screw through all three pieces?

Yep that's exactly how I would do it.

Thanks for the render! It willl definately help me with my build as well! You are the best and I/we so appreciate you, your hard work and support!
M

Good stuff, I hope you have a chance to do some more work soon. Are you juts going full bore on your war machine and then going back to Iron Man?

I don't know if it's the right moment for that, but I wish to thank our Jarvis, Dancin_Fool, who gave me permission to barely edit his files in order to wipe details out (he must hates me now) and release a (n other) full set of speed-building foam paterns for mkIII.
At least I guess by now no one can say there's no choice enough of files... ;)

Last edited:
Hey Dancin! No I am still slowly going forward with the MK3. I originally got addicted to this hobby for want of a Halloween/Cosplay/Comicon Costume.:facepalm I still need that.
I want to do the MK3 as good and clean as possible like Fingaz, Surreals, Bamboodia or Davys builds. I have some charity work in mind for that as well, my hospital has just put up a childrens center and those kids need the perk ups! Dont kow that War Machine would be a perk-up LOL huge guns, hsopital, Oh lordy, I just had an image..walkin down the hospital halls dressed as WM.....nope, nope.nah
Well, I quickly realized a MK3 like I want and speed dont mix for me!:cry
The IM3 being so high gloss, high end looking and refined is more like a Porshe or Ferrari/Lambo, it needs tons of detail and finish work to look 99% movie accurate..The WM is more like a Ford pickup truck LOL! Very cubistic and blocky (I know its a Mk3 under there somewhere ) and being flat colors it will show the flaws much less. In fact being WM a few wrinkles and dings will look like battle damage!:cool
I could literally put the WM under primer and can spray paint after block sanding wear it at Halloween and go back to finishing it later. The MK3 once it is under paint it is done...I intend to blast through the rough build of the WM, tinker with the MK3 then go back to that build full time...Id love to make Comicon with the MK3
I have ot yet begun to fight!:lol
In fact part of this weekend is sposed to be back to the MK3 for awhile!
LOL! Never a Reader Digest version for me!
Have you seen Indiefilms Steam Punk Helmet!! If I can get a pep for the armor, that will be build number three!
Iron Man appears to be made outta potato chips, cant have just one!:lol

Last edited:
If you want to do something fast and with great detail you can try docholiday78 method using foam files and coating them with rondo, in the end it look really nice and doesn't look like foam anymore
Check his thread here

I think it could be a nice alternative combining fast building and ending with a detailed armor you need.

I hope I'm no re-bumping an old thread or anything (because I am new here), but I am looking to make this Iron Man costume out of foam. I downloaded the PDF version. One big issue I noticed is that there are no indicators of what pieces are supposed to be glued to other pieces. Is there anyway to update the PDF version to indicate what piece glue where and what lines indicate "fold" or "cut to fold"?

The only other ambiguity I found with the PDF set is that the paper size is not listed. I am 6'0" - 6'1", so scaling should not be an issue. However, it was unclear where this was Letter size paper (8.5"x11"), Legal, 11"x17", 22"x34" etc. Can someone please clear this up? Thanks.

I hope I'm no re-bumping an old thread or anything (because I am new here), but I am looking to make this Iron Man costume out of foam. I downloaded the PDF version. One big issue I noticed is that there are no indicators of what pieces are supposed to be glued to other pieces. Is there anyway to update the PDF version to indicate what piece glue where and what lines indicate "fold" or "cut to fold"?

The only other ambiguity I found with the PDF set is that the paper size is not listed. I am 6'0" - 6'1", so scaling should not be an issue. However, it was unclear where this was Letter size paper (8.5"x11"), Legal, 11"x17", 22"x34" etc. Can someone please clear this up? Thanks.

may i suggest downloading the .pdo files instead together with the pepakura designer. That way you could actually see the 3D model. Regarding the paper size i can't give an idea bout that :p hope this helps :D

Okay guys, now it's time for some major update !
Warning, pic HEAVY !
I've been working on my mkIII for a month i believe or maybe a bit more and I've been dying to post some progress pics but never found the time to.
This is my second build ever, after I did my mkIV with STEALTH files. I learned a lot (from my mistakes mainly :lol) and did a way cleaner and better job this time. Here's my old armor, just look from page to page to see my progression :thumbsup

But today is the day and I'm almost done with the foam work :)
For those who are wondering, I used DacinFool foam conversion of his mkIII pep files that you can find on the first post of this thread and Royal Dump foam conversion of these same files.
I used a mix of these mainly for 3D/view reference and did some minor mod when I feel I needed too.

Enough with the talk, now bring on the pics !

I started with the arm. I had some huge trouble scaling them and had to do maybe 4 or 5 attempts before I get them right and tight fitting.
I'm 5"10' (1.78m) and have a lean body type. Scaling the armor was a pain but in the end I'm very happy with the result. I would recommend you to first stick the paper templates and see how the final piece will look before you trace them on foam, it will save you a lot of foam, time and will prevent your motivation from droping down as mine did.

1343732687-img-1835.jpg

Some test fit.

1343732682-img-1836.jpg

Then I moved on the cod and abs section.
It fits me perfectly once I manage to get my butt in but I do have to use the foam flexibility to get into the cod. I think I'll cut it in 2 separate pieces so it will be easier to put it once the armor will be coated and harden.
The back and side abs are glued to the cod.

1343732692-img-1839.jpg

1343732682-img-1840.jpg

While the abs are removable.

1343732705-img-1850.jpg

Chest and back!
The back did gave me some troubles because of the way the flaps are done.
I had to use a lot of mkIII hot toys pics reference to make sure I wasn't going to glue them in the wrong place :lol

Then the hardest part..

1343732684-img-1844.jpg

1343732677-img-1842.jpg

I think we'll all agree saying that making the legs is the hardest part of the build, mainly because it takes a lot of time, you have to make 2 of them, and try to make them look symetrical and good next to each other.
Anyway, I was very happy once both of them were done and even more when I saw they fit me perfectly.

1343732692-img-1845.jpg

1343732695-img-1846.jpg

1343732697-img-1847.jpg

1343732695-img-1848.jpg

1343732699-img-1849.jpg

Then I went to the boots.
And I think I was a bit crazy here :lol

1343732706-img-1851.jpg

1343732707-img-1852.jpg

Instead of making them without sole, I actually made the entire boot with the under details that no one besides me will see :lol
I think I'm the first one to do a foam Iron man and spending most the longest time doing the boots details that will not even be seen but meh, I wanted to do an armor maily for dispose and I want it to be the best possible. I don't remember seeing anyone else do that but I may be wrong :)
The other reason I did it entirely is because of the heel piece that does add few inches and raise me when I'm wearing them, helping me to gain some few inches and giving me a more lean and taller look which in the end, will look a lot better thant walking with flat soles.

and yes, it does pivot !

1343732707-img-1853.jpg

And the best for the end, the helmet.
It might be my 5th or 6th helmet since I started building Iron man suits and I'm finally happy with the result I got. A nice suit with a crappy helm would be ruined as it's the fist piece that caught the attention.

1343732709-img-1855.jpg

1343732708-img-1854.jpg

I still have a lot to do : one boot, the neck piece, under neck details, hip pods and gloves.
Then the funny part : coating the whole suit with pva, then rondo, primer and finally paint !

Stay tuned for more upcomming progress ;)

may i suggest downloading the .pdo files instead together with the pepakura designer. That way you could actually see the 3D model. Regarding the paper size i can't give an idea bout that :p hope this helps :D

Is Pep a free program? I am running Windows XP and want to make sure that it would run fairly well before downloading. It was my understanding that the template in the Pep files have essentially match lines, or match icons to show what gets glued to what. I did NOT see these on the pdf files.

As for the paper size, I opened the PDFs with Adobe. I set the Zoom In scale to 100%. In the bottom right hand corner, it said 8.5"x11". From that, I have concluded that they are 8.5"x11" sheets. Can anyone confirm?

MrBibou, what you have built so far looks very nice and clean, im not sure if its just the way im looking at it but i think its because on the legs the sections of foam dont seem to be fully touching ( if you know what i mean) but they look really nice :) Also, what sort of foam did you use? i can see the inside lines but dont recognise it. thanks :)

Bibou! your foam work is AMAZING! you make me want to go home and burn my mark 4!
:'-(
seriously, start a thread and keep us updated!!

A couple unresolved questions.

1.) Is Pepakura a free program? Can it be run on Windows XP with any sort of reasonable speed?

2.) Does anyone have "matchline" identifiers from the PDFs, in the OP? I am not entirely sure what gets glued where.

3.) What is the paper size of said PDF files? I read that they were scaled for a 6'0" male, which I am. I assume these are 8.5"x11" paper.

MrBibou, what you have built so far looks very nice and clean, im not sure if its just the way im looking at it but i think its because on the legs the sections of foam dont seem to be fully touching ( if you know what i mean) but they look really nice :) Also, what sort of foam did you use? i can see the inside lines but dont recognise it. thanks :)

Thanks mate :)
And no, I don't see what you mean about the leg pieces :confused
I use some floor mats that are used for home exercises. I find those in a local sport store here in France called Decathlon, not sure if you'll be able to find them but i would not recommend them for foam building. They are pretty cheap but the quality isn't superb. It does a decent job for the price though so I'm fine with it :thumbsup

Mr, Bibou! Why is there no thread with your awesome foam work on it!???
That is beautiful!

Thanks ! Well I don't see the point on making another IM thread as there are already a ton of them drawning on the forum. I think I'll just keep uploading my progress here where everybody would post there own progress so all the informations could be found in one thread, just as STEALTH mkIV/VI thread :)

Mr. Bibou, your suit is looking great!! I can't wait to see some pictures of you fully suited up!

Thanks DF, means a lot from you. Your mkIII files looked so awesome I had no choice but to start my own armor. After a lot of hesitation I decided to make yours instead of Darkseid mkVII. Maybe because there are not much of mkIII out there and maily because I think it still looks the best out of all the 8 armors :thumbsup

you make this look so easy!

Thanks, but I did practice a lot to get there :lol
Give it a try too, foam is cheap and with some practice, the results can be very surprising ;)

Bibou! your foam work is AMAZING! you make me want to go home and burn my mark 4!
:'-(
seriously, start a thread and keep us updated!!

Thanks mate ! Yours looks awesome too, nothing that deserves to be burn :lol

Nice work man! Would you mind sharing the scale you used for the pieces?

Thanks mizuno, means a lot from you as you are one of my inspiration out there. Your suits look amazing !
I'm on my macbook right now so I don't have access to pepakura designer. I'll share the scale I used later ;)

A couple unresolved questions.

1.) Is Pepakura a free program? Can it be run on Windows XP with any sort of reasonable speed?

2.) Does anyone have "matchline" identifiers from the PDFs, in the OP? I am not entirely sure what gets glued where.

3.) What is the paper size of said PDF files? I read that they were scaled for a 6'0" male, which I am. I assume these are 8.5"x11" paper.

1.) Pepakura viewer is free. Pepakura designer cost something like 30$ but you can dl the free trial version (like I do) but you can't save the modifications you do on the files. I only use it to scale the files I use.
And yes it runs fine on windows, it doesn't require lots of ressources.

2.) Not with the PDF files. You must use the .pdo files with pepakura to see where the pieces go.

3.) I guess they are made for LETTER format, which is the standard paper format in the US (8.5 by 11 inches).

i think his pieces are beveled on the edges to give a good crease line when final paint is applied. either that or he used scissors to cut the foam lol!

i think his pieces are beveled on the edges to give a good crease line when final paint is applied. either that or he used scissors to cut the foam lol!

Oh he was talking about the "lines" :lol ?
I actually glued all the pieces together and afterwards, use a soldering iron to trace them, very slowly and carefully. I think it gives more depth to the suit and looks a lot cooler this way :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back