Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - finally starting it!!!

Just watched the video. That looks GREAT! I can't wait for you to get back so I can see the progress in person.

The photo of you with the goggles is priceless! This should be your new profile picture.

I cleaned up some of the nastiest edges with my dremel and test fit the fiberglassed helmet on the model head. It fits perfectly... I also popped it on my (much smaller) head to see what it looked like.

7308290958_c9a5cb8ddb.jpg

This morning I started the bondo stage. Here's the set up just prior to application:
7308292070_c248487d9b.jpg

And here is what the back and sides look like after this first application...

RIGHT SIDE:
7308295782_549f8d38c1.jpg

BACK:
7308293398_2fac3568fc.jpg

LEFT SIDE:
7308294784_362c06b300.jpg

Now, I'll wait for this to dry and begin sanding!

Dang you sir! You're making me want to start designing my own SP Iron Man! This is going to be far too epic!

Jump in JR - the more the merrier! :):thumbsup

I got to sand the back and sides a bit...
7309295358_5fb8918c2f.jpg

...and applied bondo to the brow.
7309365078_181882d70d.jpg

Not sure what else I'll get to do today... We have plans for the beach this afternoon and Allison and I might catch a movie tonight.

I'll post an update when I have one!

We're not worthy!

Looking fantastic so far sir, I was thinking if I did mine though I might pull some inspiration from the Rocketeer. Keep up the great work!

As someone who's build one of these before, I have a couple suggestions for the final build.
One: the panels on the sides, I'd suggest cutting a large hole out from them and covering it in a dark, thin fabric so that you can maintain some fresh air coming in.
Secondly: Notice on the original art piece there's vents in the back. I didn't add those on mine and it gets quite hot in there. An update to this build will have the vents and some tiny PC fans in it.

As someone who's build one of these before, I have a couple suggestions for the final build.
One: the panels on the sides, I'd suggest cutting a large hole out from them and covering it in a dark, thin fabric so that you can maintain some fresh air coming in.
Secondly: Notice on the original art piece there's vents in the back. I didn't add those on mine and it gets quite hot in there. An update to this build will have the vents and some tiny PC fans in it.

Yeah, Digitizit will just have to deal with the ear pieces being solid, but I know he's already planning the fan trick with the vents you talked about! I figure it will probably help with the air flow - although having a faceplate that opens will certainly be more useful to help with heat and air-flow than even those vents! :lol

Believe me, I've already started thinking about ways to keep cool in this suit. Having once spent 9 hours in an Alien suit made out of expanding foam, I know how hot it can get. Being cool will be key with this costume!

Really awesome idea to incorporate the prefab helmet! Got your curves instantly! Looking great! I cannot wait to see how this build turns out! Ill be watching and suffering with you as I do my first build. You definately will have a one of a kind!
I know you will benefit from the fans in the suit/helmet. I have read about some people trying it with great results! I know you'd rather not be a Steamy Punk! :p LOL!

Last edited:
Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Bondo stage!

Ok, so I did end up getting a bit more done tonight! :rolleyes

Here's is the brow sanded after two coats of bondo as well as the first round of bondo and sanding on the 'jaw' area of the left side. I've also gotten the first coat of bondo onto the right side 'jaw' area, but haven't had time to sand it down yet.

Last picture of the night!
7311872094_ffde62b317.jpg

**disclaimer: I'm not going to be as crazy detailed on these 'jaw' areas as I intend to be on other spaces. From the pictures these spaces seem to be filled up with pipes and other do-dads rather than smooth open spaces, so I figure it's just not worth killing myself trying to make these areas smooth as a baby's bottom when I'll be covering them with steampunk crap and then painting the rest flat black so it doesn't show up. :love

Night all! :):thumbsup

Another thing to think about is that in the Steam Punk universe all of this would be hand forged steel metal and not all nice and ultra machine lathed high tech alloys turned out like our old familiar shell head! Having a few hammer dings and scrapes would be natural as all the pipes, hoses and gears are fitted and welded the old fashioned way! You are really on to something and already looking way to cool! I'd love some Pep's someday!!!
You'll need a steam punk Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man too!

Loving your work Indie. This is really inspiring stuff.

Thanks, Trouble and bamboodia! And, Electraflier, I fully intend to use that 'hand-forged' excuse as often as possible when anyone asks about my many build mistakes! :lol

So, I couldn't wait any longer and HAD to cut out one of the eye ports to try the welding goggle lens. Now, I hadn't test-fit this AT ALL, so I was a little nervous that things might not work together. But even with this VERY weak pen-light behind it you can see it's pretty close to being a perfect fit! :cool

7316697436_25b396cc85.jpg

As you can see from the side view, the lens is a bit further back and turned slightly from flush forward; however, I think there's some room for tinkering with it.

7316693938_d192165685.jpg

My biggest fear is still the lack of room 'depth-wise' for the lenses and LEDs. Digitizit and I will need to take a look at that when I get back to Tennessee this weekend, but for now... I'm just pleased that it looks pretty good! :):thumbsup

7316695120_c4f34e1d57.jpg

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Lens Test Fit Pics!

I'm gonna need a new pair of shorts. That's the coolest Ironman eye EVER.

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Lens Test Fit Pics!

First go at a foam template for chest piece.
Black is the cut lines, the one with the red line around it is if you want a little extra to place it in the middle of the top of the chest.
iron_man_by_design_chest_foam_template_wip_by_johnnymuffintop-d521s74.jpg
Gotta scale it yourself though. :/

Back