Anycubic or Elegoo ?

I foresee a resin printer in my near future. Does anyone have recommendations for a good source of ship models for resin? I checked out Gambody, and everything I looked at was created for FDM/PLA. I know I can modify it myself to print out in resin, but that's going to involve a lot of trial and error, which I'm not quite ready to tackle as a beginner.

I foresee a resin printer in my near future. Does anyone have recommendations for a good source of ship models for resin? I checked out Gambody, and everything I looked at was created for FDM/PLA. I know I can modify it myself to print out in resin, but that's going to involve a lot of trial and error, which I'm not quite ready to tackle as a beginner.
If you have the stl or obj file, it can be printed in resin, pla, petg ...WHATEVER

Your slicer will take the file and translate it over for the printer to create it.

You can pick supports and wall desnities for any lind of printer.

I have a resin and filament printer. Once you have the stl or obj file, the slicer will turn it i to gcode or chit-somethibgoranother, whatever file the printer needs to create the 3d print

EDIT Yeggi and thingverse are good sources for ship models

I've checked out Yeggi and thingverse, and all the models I've looked at are, well, not very good. Lots of poor, inaccurate or exaggerated details. There's a lot to wade through, though -- so there might be some gems in there. I was hoping for some recommendations for specific creators or models. I will say the stuff on Gambody looks to be higher quality

My understanding is that for resin you need to tilt, hollow out, and add supports to prevent build failures. I'm sure I could figure out how to convert the filament versions, but I'm guessing that's going to take a fair amount of trail and error - and wasted resin. I'd like to at least start out with something ready-to-print. I see tons of pre-supported table-top miniatures. If the answer is "they don't exist", that's cool, but I figure it's worth checking with the community first.

My understanding is that for resin you need to tilt, hollow out, and add supports to prevent build failures. I'm sure I could figure out how to convert the filament versions, but I'm guessing that's going to take a fair amount of trail and error - and wasted resin. I'd like to at least start out with something ready-to-print. I see tons of pre-supported table-top miniatures. If the answer is "they don't exist", that's cool, but I figure it's worth checking with the community first.

What you're describing is not exactly model conversion. Rather, its preparation for printing. That's done in your slicing software right before you print. It's a skill you will acquire as you do test prints.

You can use any STL. Models that are already set up are rare to find, because everyone's needs are different.

I've checked out Yeggi and thingverse, and all the models I've looked at are, well, not very good. Lots of poor, inaccurate or exaggerated details. There's a lot to wade through, though -- so there might be some gems in there. I was hoping for some recommendations for specific creators or models. I will say the stuff on Gambody looks to be higher quality

Look up Robert James Models on FB, he makes some excellent models with a lot of thought given to printing, assembly, and building. He doesn't just chop models up in a slicer without regard to topography and surface features. Most of his older models are designed to be printed at larger scales in a combination of FDM and resin with the larger structural parts being FDM and the details being in resin. However, because he has thought about buildability, they can usually be printed subscale in resin without too much trouble. His newer designs are usually sliced and parted out for both FDM/Resin at larger scales and resin only at smaller scales. For instance his Gunstar was originally meant for combination printing at 1/35 scale, but he did a newer version designed to be fully resin printed at 1/72 scale. His stuff is also available on Cults3D but they take a pretty hefty cut and I think the prices are higher there as a result.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back