Back to the Future logo (FINISHED)

JediMichael

Master Member
Who says you can't work on more than one project at once???? (or even 37)
I had been wanting to find a BttF logo to hang on the wall to go between the Jurassic Park logo I bought a few years ago, which is made from a metal tin, and the Agents of Shield logo I made almost 4 years ago. Was hoping to find something similar for BttF, but no luck.
I did find this one that lights up, but its around $85 and up. Being on a bit of a tight budget, and knowing I'd never turn the light on, and wouldn't want a cord hanging down, or need to change out batteries or anything like that,....so, I decided, maybe I can make my own.

7904798ea2dac684bf6c89e2fa3ff8a3f2d74b20.jpg

I found the best and highest res picture I could, and then still blew it up a little and clean that up in photoshop.
Knowing I would be printing it myself, and wanting it so big, and that the paper is only 8.5 x 11 inches, I'd have to get a bit creative.
I decided on 14 inches longways, so I was able to angle each one like this to fit.
Bttfprintinglogos.jpg

And the rest of the pics on my phone of the actual work.

Last edited:
Heres where it will go, right in the middle.
I'll probably move the Man cave design up a little, and any other things that need moving around.
1000015496.jpg

Got it all printed out on glossy photopaper. Then, using an Xactor knife, cut it out...stop it, no you cut it out.
Just sitting here, paper a little warped.
1000015488.jpg

I then want to make a "box" out of styrene, a little like the lighted up one.
1000015489.jpg

Got it all drawn out. Of course having to expand it on another sheet.
1000015490.jpg

All cut out and sanded. Colors are different, but its quite smooth.
1000015492.jpg

All lines up nicely.
1000015494.jpg

Now to make another one for the back side, and around inch tall walls.
Nothing too overly fancy, but enough to be what I wanted.
I did a test with the printed scraps, and it looks like, once finished, I can hit it with a light coat of gloss flat.
I know my finger left a few marks in some areas, and I realized I probably can't fix them, but I think you can only see if really close up.
Thats where I'm at for now, everything done just this afternoon.

Getting the sides made up, with these little flaps on the insides to help support it.
I used the metal ruler I have as the width for the sides.
1000015502.jpg

Heres the back peice. Made holes for two screws I have, and already marked the wall where they will go.
So it should be super easy to hang once finished.
1000015503.jpg

I actually bought more colored ink last week, as the one I had wasn't empty, but a bit low.
Just thought about checking that new one after printing this logo in high res, and not printing anything else today.
Holy cow, I did not expect it to suck THAT much ink up.
Good thing I did buy a new one. Thats like 40%.
Now I REALLY need to make sure I don't mess this up.

ink.jpg

Got the sides on and made a weird
little guitar case.
Just have to strengthen up the sides better, got the back side attached. Add sime filler in a few areas, and sand it to death.
1000015510.jpg

One mistake I made that shouldn'tbe a problem, I hope, was this styrene I bought a few years ago, one side is the normal flat/matte texture, the other side is shiny. I was going to have all the shiny parts towards the inside...
But this strip here, which I'm adding to the top anyways, I glued the little holders on the wrong side.
BUT.....I am hoping the primer will cover that anyways and not be an issue or look any different from the other sides.

1000015513.jpg

Got everything put together. I'll fill in some edges and sand now.
1000015534.jpg

This one spot along the bottom just would not go along the edge, even though its only life half a millimeter in.
1000015535.jpg

Only a little noticeable now. I can probably sand it down a little, and then once all painted black, hopefully will blend it better.
1000015536.jpg

Final black sprayed on this morning, but still a but tacky/sticky feeling. So I'll check it tomorrow to see if its ready for the print.
1000015597.jpg

This has got to be like a world record for me...two infact. Finish a project in about a week...AND, being able to finish TWO different projects around the same time.

And finished. Some imperfections you can see if the light hits it just right, but thankfully nothing to bad. I had probably oversprayed the clear glass a tad bit, and was worried it was going make the ink bleed, but I probably got lucky, as that was a second coat.

I movednthe Mancave sign up, but forgot it was actually covering up some holes in the wall, and spots where I thought I had the right paint, but wasn't.
These last home owners painted rooms with multiple colors, but only like a shade or two apart, so you can't even tell, unless you paint a spot with the wrong color. Its dumb.
1000015662.jpg

Its definitely glossy.
1000015660.jpg

But from where I sit, it looks really good actually.
1000015661.jpg

So I spent about $13 for the colored ink, of which I still have at least 60% left. And like $2 for the black paint. Everything else I already had and bought a while ago....
So I technically saved myself $65....it just won't light up, which is fine anyways.

I actually bought more colored ink last week, as the one I had wasn't empty, but a bit low.
Just thought about checking that new one after printing this logo in high res, and not printing anything else today.
Holy cow, I did not expect it to suck THAT much ink up.
Good thing I did buy a new one. Thats like 40%.
Now I REALLY need to make sure I don't mess this up.

View attachment 1812831
Yep seems like the printer ink just don't last like it use to same thing with my printing

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back