ORCA scratch build

IMG_0929.jpeg
IMG_0928.jpeg
Shape are all locked in now it’s just down to all the fiddly little bits and tha mast.

She's doing fine the way she's building the boat. Filmzy knows what she's doing. I doubt she'll have any leaks. The mast is an interesting part of both Orca 1 and 2. Orca 1 the mast was round and a real wooden mast off of an old Ywal. Orca 2's mast was an oval shape mast off of (are you ready?) a Hobbie Cat.

I'm not criticizing, just spitballing ideas. This build is amazing.

A Hobie Cat mast? Wouldn't that be an aluminum or fiberglass tube?

If that was workable enough for the Orca #2 then I wonder why they didn't use the same thing on the Orca#1. Seems like it would have reduced the stability problem.

I'm not criticizing, just spitballing ideas. This build is amazing.

A Hobie Cat mast? Wouldn't that be an aluminum or fiberglass tube?

If that was workable enough for the Orca #2 then I wonder why they didn't use the same thing on the Orca#1. Seems like it would have reduced the stability problem.
Here's some Jaws and Orca 1 and 2 fun. On YouTube The Daily Jaws just did an hour long interview with Marty Milner who helped build Orca 1 and 2 plus other Jaws props and buildings.

So here is where I come with cap in hand begging forgiveness form RayLuis, way back on version 1 he pointed out the my bridge was too narrow
I knew my cabin roof was a bit wide to accommodate having to make it removable and I defended my self buy saying it matched the reference I had. Well after all this time and redrawing I was so wrong, My Bridge was the right width but now knowing that it isn't centered brings a hole new spin to things We where both right.
IMG_3515.JPG

Epoxy has gone off sanding it back now, Here's where I find out if I've over done things. I need it to keep that rough planky look and not end up like a smooth surf board, which meant not being too neat with the planking, then not being too neat with the sanding an filling. Its so hard not to sand it all smooth its something in our brains, that tactile thing. but totally wrong for this old lady.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back