Space 1999 Helmet

Good evening Tazman,
That is a thing of beauty!!!
Cheers
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I tried it on and it seems to be the right size. I'm excited to get this thing sanded and painted. I still have to print the buck and need to find some transparent yellow vacuformable plastic. I could use clear PETG sheet, but I don't want to screw up painting the visor with transparent paint, since I have no experience with that. So if anyone has any suggestions...

TazMan2000

Thanks Kevin. I tried it on and it seems to be the right size. I'm excited to get this thing sanded and painted. I still have to print the buck and need to find some transparent yellow vacuformable plastic. I could use clear PETG sheet, but I don't want to screw up painting the visor with transparent paint, since I have no experience with that. So if anyone has any suggestions...

TazMan2000

You may find this video helpful starting around 3:35

You can buy a motorcycle helmet bubble visor that would fit that style of helmet. I think ones with the correct tint are available.

Good morning Tazman,
The motorcycle bubble shield is what I have for my helmet. KevinD is correct. I picked mine up of EBay many moons ago. They were NOS, had a funky smell, but looked correct. If I remember correctly they wern't that expensive and came from England. You just need to trim off a lip around the edge and remove some snaps. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kevin

You can buy a motorcycle helmet bubble visor that would fit that style of helmet. I think ones with the correct tint are available.

Good morning Tazman,
The motorcycle bubble shield is what I have for my helmet. KevinD is correct. I picked mine up of EBay many moons ago. They were NOS, had a funky smell, but looked correct. If I remember correctly they wern't that expensive and came from England. You just need to trim off a lip around the edge and remove some snaps. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kevin

Thanks for the idea, but I can't guarantee that the actual bubble shield will fit my design. I'll try my buck and the dyeing trick to see if that works first.

TazMan2000

Morning Tazman,
I just picked up your files. You are the MAN! Can't wait to print it. A guy can never have too many helmets. Thank you!
Cheers,
Kevin

"A guy can never have too many helmets."? My wife will completely disagree with you. :lol:

Thanks. Enjoy. We're having some above freezing temperatures where I live, so I'm excited myself in getting out there and sanding the parts down and putting a coating of photopolymer resin over it (maybe a couple of coats).

TazMan2000

"A guy can never have too many helmets."? My wife will completely disagree with you. :lol:

Thanks. Enjoy. We're having some above freezing temperatures where I live, so I'm excited myself in getting out there and sanding the parts down and putting a coating of photopolymer resin over it (maybe a couple of coats).

TazMan2000

Oh, and you're an Edmontonian as well. We share Space 1999 affinity and weather.

TazMan2000

Afternoon Tazman,
So very true. I see you're in the Park. Soo close. My wife would agree with your wife about the helmets. I think I'll print the visor body first. I'm curious how the bubble shield will fit. I'll keep you updated on that once I get it printed. Have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Kevin

I grew up in Edmonton...north side.

Are you going to print the clear part of the visor? I'd recommend using the buck, but if you're set on printing it, I'd recommend PTFE filament. I have a home-made vacuforming table somewhere in my garage, but I have no idea if my buck will fit on it. I may have to construct a new one.

TazMan2000

I grew up in Edmonton...north side.

Are you going to print the clear part of the visor? I'd recommend using the buck, but if you're set on printing it, I'd recommend PTFE filament. I have a home-made vacuforming table somewhere in my garage, but I have no idea if my buck will fit on it. I may have to construct a new one.

TazMan2000
Afternoon Tazman,
I grew up in Parkview. Live in the Terwillegar area now. I'm going to just do the visor "body" that holds the visor and see how well one of my NOS bubble shields fit into it. If it's good or very close, I'll just use that. If not, I've always wanted to invest in a vacuforming machine anyway.
Cheers,
Kevin

After a couple of coats of photoresin, things are smoothed out, at least on the outside. I coated the inside as well. The photoresin adds significantly more weight to the helmet, but it is one of the easiest ways of smoothing the layer lines, especially on the top curved parts where the "staircasing" is more evident. I use a rasp file to grind down any uneven areas and bumps, then use a palm sander with a heavy grit to take down any high spots. After that, two coats of photoresin, additional sanding, then more photoresin to fill any remaining layer lines or low spots.

I still have to sand the interior, but that will be by hand.

After photoresin.jpg

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back