Star trek TMP phaser prop from scratch

Benjo

Hi guys,

I've made several attempts to recreate that prop from scratch. I've never had money to buy one of the rare replicas that was available by the past so I had to recreate it using the references found on internet.
Recreating a particular prop with not so much reference material often becomes a question of trials and various attempts over the years.
Here is my latest current attempt, out of pine wood.
I recently had new reference pictures and I needed to try to shape a new version, doing my best to catch all the curves and shapes of the original model.
I've started by drawing a quick pattern on inkscape and then tried to shape something out of it using layered wood pieces.
Here is what I have so far. I'm not sure to get it right, the rear part looks too thin.
DSC_4297.JPG

DSC_4298.JPG

DSC_4299.JPG

I'd like to create one of these hybrid background props. I might share the building steps here.

I made my first one out of acrylic. We use what we've got.
Yours looks like a good one!
Thx :)! I'd be very curious to see how yours turned out !

Actually I made a bunch of attempts by the past, resin and even a 3 parts vacuform one. I'll probably share some pictures of these earlier attempts.

The current one looks a bit thick to me on the P1 section and too thin on the rear.
I've covered the side rails with tape to avoid heavy coating on the side rails.
DSC_4315.JPG

DSC_4346.JPG

The whole stuff is now painted with Tamiya TS-66 IJN grey, definitely a good match. I did my best to keep the side rails as sharp as possible.
I'm using 2mm clear PVC sheet for the emitter and I'm going to put a black butt plate under the handle. I'm waiting for the control pad to be printed.

That prop looks great in a brand new condition but I'm considering to give it a light "production made" weathering.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back