removing the labels from the evian bottles

sector 7G

Did anyone ever figure out a way to remove the labels from hell on these bottles? I ruined one bottle trying to burn them off with a tourch anyone have any success? These were used in the sickbay on Enterprise.

bottleshf9.jpg

Never tried, are the bottles plastic or glass?
Often lacquer thinner is effective for this type of thing, there are also a few "marker/stain/gum/adhesive removers" on the market that I have had good luck with in removing lables and things I couldn't try lacquer thinner on. (like plastic.)

It's also possible that they were molded and recast in clear resin for Enterprise.

Good luck.

Try Aceton beforehand on another non-Evian PE bottle with a similar print. If the PE doesn't get opaque to the reaction of Aceton, go with it - most bottles are silk-screened that way.

These are glass, and i've tried burning, scraping, grinding and Thinner and nothing seems to get these off, almost seems to be etched into the glass itself...

Methal-Ethyl-Keytone (MEK) is some nasty stuff that will rid paint quickly. Last time I saw it was at Home Depot.

Tried Aceton as well and didn't even put a dent in it, I'll try the MEK, I used to use it where I worked, I've even thought about sandblasting the glass on a low setting.

<div class='quotetop'>(dz4180 @ Nov 12 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]1355846[/snapback]</div>
Methal-Ethyl-Keytone (MEK) is some nasty stuff that will rid paint quickly. Last time I saw it was at Home Depot.
[/b]

MEK .. wow.. we use that to clean parts on airplanes. :confused
SkyDrol... it will take the paint off of ANYTHING.... and I mean ANYTHING.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Detroit @ Nov 12 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]1355947[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(dz4180 @ Nov 12 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]1355846[/snapback]
[/b]

MEK .. wow.. we use that to clean parts on airplanes. :confused
SkyDrol... it will take the paint off of ANYTHING.... and I mean ANYTHING.
[/b][/quote]

Lol thats what I used to do for a living :) skydrol i haven't seen that stuff in years, smelly stuff

Yeah I have been working on airplanes for the past 16 years and I know good 'ol MEK, all though a health hazard like everything else nowadays, will take paint off anything. And Skydrol 'burns the skin' if you get careless with it. At least the bottles won't scream if either one is applied.

Ehm, translated as washbenzine maybe. That's what I use. Also works wonders with stickers on plastic, where you don't want to use aceton.

I have a few and haven't found anything to get them off. The lettering is not what you would call a label or even paint, it's more an enamel, possibly baked on so I'm not sure what MEK will do on it. Sand blasting might work...

I'm glad I don't have any of the "snowflake" versions as it looks like more work than the others. :p

I haven't had any MEK but Lacquer thinner has worked where paint thinner woldn't., htough usually acetone does too. The commercial products like goof-off are very good, I'd try one and let it soak for a while. None of this is going to hurt the glass so you could let it sit in a bath of <whatever> for a day or two (outside, please.) and then try wiping the labels off.

I'm surprised they are so hardy, they should be a simple screened on ink.

As an advice from a chemical engineering student: be careful when handeling with Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone, it easily degreases your skin, so wear protection gloves, but not normal latex (it melts in contact with MEK), it has to be MEK proof gloves and do it outside - MEK stinks and isn't really for working inside the hobby room unless you'd like to fly skyhigh...

Thanks for the advice, I used MEK years and years ago, unfortuneately being a dumb kid I used it without reading the hazards and didn't use gloves when using it to clean aircraft parts, I also used a chemical that was heated up in this big vat, we called it trike, its name was as long as MEK. bad stuff but it would melt paint and grease like no tomorrow off parts.

Anyway back on target, I've had no luck in removing any part of the evian logo or the 2001 logo so i'll have to find a sandblaster and see what happens.

<div class='quotetop'>(YenChih Lin @ Nov 12 2006, 09:47 PM) [snapback]1356334[/snapback]</div>
As an advice from a chemical engineering student: be careful when handeling with Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone, it easily degreases your skin, so wear protection gloves, but not normal latex (it melts in contact with MEK), it has to be MEK proof gloves and do it outside - MEK stinks and isn't really for working inside the hobby room unless you'd like to fly skyhigh...
[/b]

I usually use Goof Off, but it also takes the oil off your hands. MEK is fine as long as youre in a well ventilated area. TRICH was the stufff to use WAAaaay back inthe day inthe Air Force. It would peel the chome off a bumper.
If its enamled onto the bottle, try wet sanding it with a fine auotmotive grade paper.

SkyDrol. Its some nasty stuff. i work with it EVERYDAY... The best way to describe the stuff is, its color is brownish purple,. smells like a bad bottle of Pine Sol, it doenst initailly bunr the skin, unitl your pores opne, then youcant get it out. Hot showers make it wors, and dont EVER touch your junk after working with it. Get it in your eyes, it will burn the membranes off the eyeball., it can cause chemical 2nd degree burns, and the fluid can be at less than room tempreture. And the best part is.. its an Esther Phosphate.... Greeeaaatt...

Basically, remmeber the partin Alien... when they tried to peel that facehugger off that dude, and they found out it had acid for blood?... SkyDrol is like that....

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back