Blade Costume

RFZero

i was going for a hybrid of a suit from the 1st and 2nd movies. something like the vest from the 2nd movie with buckles from the 1st movie, then the red lining in the coat from the 2nd movie.

sipa_blade_080501_ssh.jpg

8632761_2.jpg

blade 2

blade-leather-coat__94725_std.jpg

well i WAS planning on just doing a simple but recognizable blade costume but i made the mistake of finding this site and then the plans got more and more complicated. especially since im not black, i had to make sure the costume was instantly recognizable.

so 1st the sword

here are the parts

IMAG0084.jpg

which became

IMAG0650.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

it got some nail filler

IMAG0914.jpg

then some the rings that i made out of foam. i couldnt find a PVC pipe that was the right size, i would have had to cut them to fit and that's why i went with foam

IMAG0926.jpg

made a sheath out of PVC pipe

IMAG0942.jpg

i decided to make 2 swords, one that just the handle so i was planning on going to some clubs with the costume and im pretty sure they wont be happy with me bringing a metal sword in, dull as it was. for the full sword, i originally painted the handle then added the gray foam rings but i ended up changing that when the foam came off after a bout of overly enthusiastic sword swinging. thats the handle only sword in the back.

IMAG0955.jpg

i decided to plastidip the entire handle to make the handle more durable overall. i did it to both swords, this is the full sword. i panted the rings with acrylic silver paint afterwards.

IMAG0990.jpg

the handle only sword, which also got the plastidip treatment, ended up looking much better than the full sword.

IMAG0981.jpg

i then spray painted the blade of the sword with multiple coats of rustoleum gloss enamel,

IMAG0939.jpg

then multiple coats of duplicolor chrome spray paint.

it has a slight chrome effect but its not really a mirror finish. also the chrome is really fragile, its already dented or coming off just from touching with my bare hands (of doom)

IMAG1066.jpg

this was my 1st vest design when i was just going for 'simple'. i was going to just use simple silver side release buckles but i ended up finding these buckles for cheap on ebay (they were around 4 for $12 including shipping).

IMAG0949.jpg

then i decided to do my first foam armor design thing by making the chest armor out of it. here is the 1st mock up.

IMAG0952.jpg

i spray painted the chest armor with vinyl spray paint then added a coat of flat black. then a just a light sprinkle again of the vinyl spray for texture. (at this point i didnt have the plastidip yet so the vinly paint had to do)

IMAG0958.jpg

this was the closest thing i could find to resembling the silver stakes

IMAG0082.jpg

i gave them the same treatment as the sword blade. first gloss enamel

IMAG0934.jpg

then chrome paint

IMAG0991.jpg

i made the thing rig using leftover webbing and a chopped up plastic container.

i dont know how to sew so the only thing i didnt make was the coat. i ended up ordering it from cosplaysky.com. other than the material being thinner that i thought it was going to be, its perfect. its got a nice flowing cut that is very cape-like

IMAG0918.jpg

its starting to come together

IMAG0979.jpg

this was my rig for connecting the sword sheath to the vest, i ended up lowering the sheath a lot after test fitting everything last night

IMAG0964.jpg

this was from test fitting everything last night. its not exactly screen accurate but i think it gets the point across (hopefully)

IMAG1041C.jpg

IMAG1043C.jpg

IMAG1057B.jpg

im wishing i just got all black webbing for the vest straps and just added the red using puff paint.

today, im gonna work on the leg rig to bring the stakes closer to my leg and see if there is anything i can do to with my hair (ya right)

wow congrats on your amazing success im currently trying to find as many references as poossible because i too am trying to make a cross.hybrid of the 1 and 3 blade but i cant find any good places to get replicas

well i WAS planning on just doing a simple but recognizable blade costume but i made the mistake of finding this site and then the plans got more and more complicated. especially since im not black, i had to make sure the costume was instantly recognizable.

The same thing happened to me :lol RPF needs to come with a warning!

Great job, I love how the sword came together.

Wow dude, will hopefully draw a huge amount of inspiration from what you've done here. Am looking at a Blade costume myself and this is far and above the best step by step I've come across yet. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of buckles are the ones you used called that you found on eBay. I know the real ones are called Stubai, is that what yours are as well?

Back