Doctor Who's Clothes (Tailor Made)

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've finally been able to add the Dr. Who Suit to my clothiers site. Here are some fairly poor shots of me wearing the suit, shirt and tie:

mag-whosuit.jpg

Better pictures can be seen at my clothiers site: Tennant Suit

I used a higher priced fabric for this suit (which added about $175 to the cost) which I may still be able to source if anyone is interested. Otherwise, the standard pinstripe fabrics are shown on my site.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Last edited:
That looks fantastic.

If I can scronge enough money I definately want to jump in on getting one of these from you Indy :)

Couple things though...

How are the pockets inside the jacket?

How is the jacket lined? The Christmas special shows it lined actually with the striped shell material...

I am still looking for material myself...yours looks great. just the lines don't seem plenty enough, in comparison they look thick enough but too far spaced apart to be dead on, so thusly the hunt continues...I will email you the second I find any leads :)

Also I think the back horizontal peice and the split are slightly off...the peice should be possibly slightly wider and the split should go right to that peice :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Pri...ence/tvpic5.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Pri...nce/doctor3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Pri...ce/rooftop5.jpg

I think really, it may be that the horizonal lines may be a tad too high too, according to this pic: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Pri...doctor_cash.jpg it seems that the bottom that peice is teh same line as teh top of the front pockets... may be why the split looks so tall as well.

Some things to think on....

Other than that, awesome.

Hopefully we can work something out soon.

The jacket is lined in brown satin. We can line it in a different color for a small fee, but trying to track down a pattern satin for the lining will likey push the price right up.

As for the back detailing; I think a big part of the look is the jacket length. If it were a tad shorter, with the half-belt a tad lower, bringing the split right to the belt; I think we'd be dead on. A lot of these details will vary depending on the wearer though (on their height and weight).

As for the material, I was lucky to find such a close material at a fair price. This is a pure wool fabric that is still a little more expensive than what is normally used on my suits, but it was not unreasonable. And the colors are dead on. My fabric options are constantly rotating, so I'll keep my eyes open. A while back I even saw some blue material with red stripes. But that's all gone now... :cry

Kind regards,
Indy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(greatwazoo42 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]1386602[/snapback]</div>
Nicely done.

Sadly I'm getting more towards being a better fit for Colin Baker's outfit than David's. Gotta start moving around more and eating less I guess. ;)

The suit looks great though. Will you be doing the coat as well? It's made of couch fabric according to an article in Doctor Who Magazine.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the coat already listed on your site: https://host385.ipowerweb.com/~indyprop/osC...9ada9ce5600da2c
[/b]

Thanks. Ah, yes the coat... the one on my site is offered in a typical overcoat cashmere, but I've also sourced some upholstery fabric to better simulate that coat, if anyone is interested. The price will likely be the same, or perhaps a bit more. Contact me for more details.

Kind regards,
Indy

I've had a few enquiries about this suit with a more accurate fabric. Finding this fabric "off the shelf" seems impossible, so I've made some enquiries into having a run custom made.

I'm curious how many folks would be interested in this suit if it was made with a screen accurate thin 100% cotton printed fabric (blue stripes on brown). If I can get enough confirmed interest (meaning you're ready to purchase a suit within a month or two using this new fabric), I should be able to do it for only a little more than my suit with the standard "off the shelf, close-enough" fabric. The final price would be $450 (shipping included).

Feel free to post here to show your interest, PM me or shoot me an e-mail.

Kind regards,
Indy

The price difference is definatly not a big deal :)

Have you thought of even just gettng people to sign up for fabric by itself? I know that in some ways that may defeat the purpose...but may help you get the fabric irrgardless of the suit orders, I just personally do not have the money right now, though I am REALLY interested in getting one down the road :)

I have a few Doctor Who friends who have been watching the suit waiting for closer material and I definately thing the interest is there :)

The blue suit is the same, just with claret stripes...And he still wears brown in and out, yay for variations.

So I am sure if Indy can get the material he can make it :)

I'm still looking into this cloth; haven't received too much response from fans yet on it. As Primrodo said, the next season's suit is identical, just in a different color. I have a "close enough" fabric in dark blue with rust stripes that would work for the general look. I doubt I'll be able to generate enough interest for a custom run of the blue fabric as well, but who knows...

Kind regards,
Indy

Re: Dr. Who's Suit

Although a lot of people are interested in the blue striped fabric, most were not happy to pay a lot more only to get what is essentially a cheap fabric and, therefore, a cheap suit.

I have, however, recently found some nice "close enough" fabric:

new-who-swatch.jpg

It is an 8.5 oz 100% pure wool, high-end material. Using this fabric, this suit would be $575 (shipped), as opposed to $399 (shipped) using the standard wool blend with tan stripes.

I'm not sure how long I'll be able to offer this fabric, so if you're interested, drop me a line soon...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Gah I wish I could find work, seeing that makes me drool. Would pick one up if I had the cash. Excellent job though, hopefully this will be around long enough for me to pick one up.

Here is one of my customers sporting the Tennant suit in Dark blue with rust stripes and the Goldenrod Cashmere Wool blend Timelord coat:

mc-custbig22.jpg

I've also recently made this coat in a screen accurate suede-like upholstery fabric (which put this coat at $999). Here are some close-ups:

mc-whocoat-lg2.jpg

mc-whocoat-lg1.jpg

mc-whocoat-lg3.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

Here's one I did for a guy in silver. Although not screen-accurate color-wise, I think it really captures the spirit of the Doctor:

bartsuit2.jpg
bartsuit1.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

Hey thats pretty neat! Looks like a very typical suit at this point as well!

Is it me or did you get thse pockets on the jacket with the flap on the outside? I wasn;t sure if you did that on the other suits, the brown and blue wee darker to see, but here it looks like it :)

Just curious, but a suit with supplied material, would there be a big price difference?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back