Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

GotWookiee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

Reminds me of that Tom Hodges artwork from a few years back of a hypothetical Star Wars theme park:
star-wars-universe-dream-park.jpg

This doesn't surprise me. After all, I'm sure Disney didn't buy Lucasfilm and ownership of the Star Wars franchise just to make movies.

They're going to have a difficult time squeezing anything new, Star Wars or otherwise, into the California Disneyland location. Unless they buy one (or more) of the surrounding businesses, hotels, motels, and/or restaurants for the land they currently occupy, they've run out of expansion room. Then again, they do have some influence in the city of Anaheim--they even have their own freeway off-ramp that takes you right into their parking structure! Of course, they could always do away with California Adventure which, by most accounts, is a failed experiment. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it and what they come up with.

They're planning on expanding the existing SW content at Orlando's Hollywood Studios. I was just there doing a little Stormtrooper work for the 5/4 event and all the employees were talking about it. No one has details, they just know its coming. One rumor is they're lose the Indiana Jones show.

Scott

Somehow I doubt they'd just be done with California Adventure altogether, especially after just sinking all the money into the re-design.

California Adventure doesn't feature the most efficient use of space, I think there are areas there they can carve out there for a handful of new rides, but certainly there is no room for a completely separate SW theme park in Anaheim; WDW on the other hand has plenty of room. Between expanding Star Wars attractions and the supposed Marvel Stark Expo rumor to replace Innoventions over at DLR, there might just be too many ideas and too little real estate on the west coast.

And I'd hardly describe DCA as a failure right now, World of Color and Cars Land are driving a ton of traffic. It's still no DLR but it's doing much better than before all the renovations.

I doubt it would ever be its own park, but there is a lot of expansion room at DHS since the studio piece closed down.

Disneyland has less room than California Adventures, maybe that's why your say that they are a "failure". California Adventures gets just as crowd and it gets really packed during World of Color.

Went to both parks and Universal studios over winter break, I almost felt ripped off when I went to Universal studios. It was my first time going there so I was actually excited, especially the new Transformers ride. That park was such a big disappointment, the only decent ride was the Transformers and the studio tour. NOT worth $80 :thumbsdown

I think there are some under-used areas in Disneyland Anaheim that could be re-purposed for a Star Wars area. Not a full-on SW park, for sure, but those Imagineers are brilliant at shoe-horning themes into their parks. WDW would be easy. Expensive, but easy.

I can see Disney easing into the Star Wars tie-in by having SW characters as walk-arounds and such.

They could fit a little more Star Wars into Tomorrowland at Disneyland if they got rid of the old America Sings building and whatever attraction that that it's currently housing, I really doubt that many people would miss it. There's also a little bit of extra room to be had if they filled in the old motor boat lagoon, there's already part of a que area there and the lagoon isn't being used for anything right now and I think that it could be considered part of Tomorrowland although I think that it's technically part of Fantasyland right now.

Screw that.

Put it in florida and do a whole fricking SW park! Cast members dressed as rebel soldiers and officers and imperial officers! :)

Disneyland has less room than California Adventures, maybe that's why your say that they are a "failure". California Adventures gets just as crowd and it gets really packed during World of Color.
I've never actually been to California Adventures; I based my "failure" statement on feedback I've gotten from people who have been to it (almost all negative--the comment I heard most often was "It was boring") and the fact that they started a major redesign and expansion less than seven years after it opened.

Went to both parks and Universal studios over winter break, I almost felt ripped off when I went to Universal studios. It was my first time going there so I was actually excited, especially the new Transformers ride. That park was such a big disappointment, the only decent ride was the Transformers and the studio tour. NOT worth $80 :thumbsdown
In my opinion Universal Studios was far more interesting before it became an amusement park--the studio tour was longer so you got to see more of the backlot, and there was far more focus on Universal's movie history. Now they give you the bum's rush through the tour so they can get you back to the shops, restaurants, and lame attractions that they used as an excuse to drastically increase their admittance prices.

I'm not surprised by this at all, it should make them a fortune and they don't really even have to try to do it right. Fans have already shown their eagerness to throw their money at anything with the Star Wars name on it. They could have someone fart the Star Wars theme and it would make at least 50 million dollars.

Don't dick around. Do an entire theme park. The hell with squeezing in an attraction here and there. Star Wars can easily support its own park. Just imagine the giant EPCOT ball as a Death Star. The possibilities are countless. My only problem is that I'm not a big fan of Disney's work in their parks these days. The quality of the illusion and the detail just doesn't seem what it was when I was kid. I was in DL last year, which was my first trip to a Disney park in quite some time, and all the newer stuff was a real disappointment for the most part. Much of it felt and looked like glorified boardwalk attractions. Not up to snuff for the Disney I grew up with. Seeing that kind of stuff in Disney makes me worry that they'll be able to pull off something like this properly. But, if they do it right...man. This could be huge for them. Let's not forget the possibility of a permanent Lucasfilm Archives Museum. That's something I'm much more excited at the prospect of than a possible theme park. To be able to essentially tour a museum of my childhood. I get giddy thinking about it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back