Star Wars Rogue One new ships!

korben44

Master Member
Found these on the pulse... Pretty exciting and can't wait to see some models come out!

HWLZfuAjRJKBYFxhhrsk_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_06.jpgeY8S4cc1QxW88ROsOgKH_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_07.jpg

These are not final designs so a lot may change-
One good thing is that we are going to see some new ships instead of recreations of the old classics in the film.

That Rebel starfighter looks a lot like some of the fighters in one of the SW games. I think it was the Episode I Starfighter game, not sure. I have no idea how the sfoils would work, unless those long sections along the sides swing back between the set of engines and then open like an X or something.

The TIE has pretty poor specs with its advanced wing design giving it a max speed of 1,500 km/hour. That wouldn't even be fast enough to attain or maintain an orbit around a planet! Someone messed up somewhere.

The new TIE seems to follow the ETA-2 lineage. It may be smaller than our normal TIEs too...

I'd like to see that.

The U-Wing seems like a mess. The X-wing engines. The Speeder/ Y-wing canopy. The Falcon mandibles. It's really a disappointing design to me. And ya, I got the buck rogers vibe initially too.

Some things just LOOK like they belong in Star Wars, and I want to see that. I don't care if they copy stuff, as long as it works.

I like TIE- Don't like U.

Hmmm, U fighter.. . If the wings swept back and the smaller flat winglets on the nose make some kind of canards' then I think it will look very cool.

That is interesting. Was the artist involved with Buck Rogers?
I don't remember much from the show, but I always loved the fighter. I got the old matchbox(?) toy somewere.
Not positive, but the original SFX crew brought together for the first Star Wars film spread out into several different companies- I am fairly sure some people ended up over at Universal Heartland, the SFX production house that did Buck Rogers.

It was just a surprise to see that sketch dating so far back. IIRC they also considered it for a Viper design, both BR & BSG were being created about the same time.

The original concept drawing was made by Ralph McQuarrie during the early production stage of Empire Strikes Back. Somehow the image of the starfighter got into a Star Wars sketch book. Possibly this could have been a variation of the Snowspeeder but I don't know that for sure. What is clear though is that the starfighter was the first draft for the Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica. The design was later replaced by the jet fighter design we all know and love, however when the new Buck Rogers show was planned the sketches were revived and refined by David Jones. He made a more detailed production sketch on which the final filming miniature was based. This is my paper model of the DJ concept TF:

dj.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back