Large Scale Spinner Kit progress??

Does anyone know what happened to this project??

http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1772

Thanks.

Heh, well that project fell apart. The guy who made that decided it was too much trouble to produce it.

BUT!

Another company has picked up the slack and working on another large scale spinner kit.. Doesn't look quite as big.. but still a nice size.

http://www.comet-minitures.com/browse.php?s_categ=15&zone=11&

24 inches long
STU0007n4.jpg

I hear ya man.. I was really excited for that kit to come out. When the maker was testing the waters for interest in producing it at different boards I remember being shocked it didnt generate more interest. I took up the cause posting it on bladezone, not many people commented on it there either.. ?????? wierddd

Pic of the first kit who haven't seen it. It was bigggg

Picture252.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I was wondering what happend on this- was that kit like to 4 feet long?

I was really really interested in it as well!!

Ok, sadly that means there is a studio scale kit that will never see the light of day.

BTW, who is the builder??

The Comet Spinner looks nice, but what is the scale 1/9?

Ok, sadly that means there is a studio scale kit that will never see the light of day.

BTW, who is the builder??

The Comet Spinner looks nice, but what is the scale 1/9?

1/8 for the comet spinner. The maker of the big spinner was not a member here, I remember he lived in England though.

I hear ya man.. I was really excited for that kit to come out. When the maker was testing the waters for interest in producing it at different boards I remember being shocked it didnt generate more interest. I took up the cause posting it on bladezone, not many people commented on it there either.. ?????? wierddd

Pic of the first kit who haven't seen it. It was bigggg

Picture252.jpg

Aye yi, yi...:eek

Indeed- that had "miniature" showed some real potential! :cry

I could only imagine what one would have cost- but if my meager savings and earning potential could have gotten one, I'd have ponied up as well...

Well, according to my notes:

1/4th scale = 46.25"
1/6th scale = 30.83"
1/8th scale = 23.125"
1/12th scale = 15.41"
1/16th scale = 11.56"
1/48th scale = 3.85"

All of this is based on the blueprint's stated length of 15' 5" (185"). Whether or not Gene Winfield or the EEG guys built it exactly to spec, we won't know unless we go to Paris and examine the original with a ruler. Do we have a RPF bureau in Paris?

It's been mentioned in print that they built four different scales (1/4, 1/12, 1/48, and a 1" long one) and they have mentioned rough dimensions that fall in line with the calculations above.

The latest Comet one seems to be in line with 1/8th scale, while the old TVC-15 version (which is still on my darn workbench after 11 years) is closer to 1/16th scale. (If I remember it's length correctly.)

So, we do have some studio scale-ish replicas out there. The TVC-15 had some issues, compounded in my example by the fact it was a mediocre recast. I replaced the entire floor pan with a piece of plex and redid the engines and interior. Not studioscale, but certainly an improvement. One of these days, I may actually finish the darn thing.............

Gene

I built this model from Anubis about 6 years ago-it is about 18" long--I swore one day I would put lights in it--still meaning to do that...someday...

anubisspinner-smallerimage.JPG

BladeRunnersmallspinnerCU.JPG

I think the best one I ever saw was Randy Cooper's version he did in the early 90's. While not studio scale or even dead to rights accurate, it was a beautiful model and had a gorgeous finish.

He had it on display at Kit Kraft here in LA.

And it got stolen.

Damn shame.

Gene

When I was a kid just out of high-school, I got a tour of the model shop the BR models were being built in. Now this was many years ago but I do remember they did not have access to the full size car. I think they were being built in parallel. All they had were the blue prints, a couple of photos, and the Syd Mead drawings.

Any way as I recall they were building the police spinner 1:1 to the print. So you may have your answer right in front of you. What ever scale the print is in the model was the same scale.

Using my "yay big" measurement holding my hands apart from seeing the model I'd guess around 32".

The saddest part of the story was I held the RTV molds for the model in my hands and got a lesson on how they made them. I asked what would be done with the molds next and they told me they were chopping them up for filler for the next cast. RTV is expensive you know. :cry

BrianM

Well, according to my notes:

1/4th scale = 46.25"
1/6th scale = 30.83"
1/8th scale = 23.125"
1/12th scale = 15.41"
1/16th scale = 11.56"
1/48th scale = 3.85"

All of this is based on the blueprint's stated length of 15' 5" (185"). Whether or not Gene Winfield or the EEG guys built it exactly to spec, we won't know unless we go to Paris and examine the original with a ruler. Do we have a RPF bureau in Paris?

It's been mentioned in print that they built four different scales (1/4, 1/12, 1/48, and a 1" long one) and they have mentioned rough dimensions that fall in line with the calculations above.

The latest Comet one seems to be in line with 1/8th scale, while the old TVC-15 version (which is still on my darn workbench after 11 years) is closer to 1/16th scale. (If I remember it's length correctly.)

So, we do have some studio scale-ish replicas out there. The TVC-15 had some issues, compounded in my example by the fact it was a mediocre recast. I replaced the entire floor pan with a piece of plex and redid the engines and interior. Not studioscale, but certainly an improvement. One of these days, I may actually finish the darn thing.............

Gene

the old TVC-15 version (which is still on my darn workbench after 11 years) is closer to 1/16th scale. (If I remember it's length correctly.)
Yes, that's right. The TVC-15 is 1/16.

I built this model from Anubis about 6 years ago-it is about 18" long-
If I recall correctly, the Anubis (later MiM) rotocast model is nominally 1/12.

WI asked what would be done with the molds next and they told me they were chopping them up for filler for the next cast. RTV is expensive you know. :cry
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Well, the 15" Spinner was built first and it featured the laser cannon things on the roof and wheel and a limited number of running lights. Between the completion of the 15" and the start of the 1/4 scale model, the laser cannon concept was dropped and the parts removed.

The larger model didn't start out with the police lights either. I believe the genesis of those began with the full-size version and were then retrofitted to the larger spinner model, but not the 15" version.

I remember seeing the Anubis Spinner when it first came out. It as a good effort, but it just required too much work to the front end in order to get it looking right.

Castings of the 4" Spinner are floating around, but of dubious quality. No one I've spoken to knows what happened to the 15" model after filming. BOSS still had some of the molds in the early 90's, but I doubt they were complete.

Gene

I think its the 4" kit i have, and i have to agree its an awful cast Gene, very soft on detail sadly, itll require a lot of work if i ever take it on, cant say its on my list of things to do right now.
Id love the Comet kit to see the light of day, really would like a nice spinner!

lee

I remember that.

The large model was almost done and the guys were complaning they had to add the ugly police lights. They all liked it With the "clean look".

Well, the 15" Spinner was built first and it featured the laser cannon things on the roof and wheel and a limited number of running lights. Between the completion of the 15" and the start of the 1/4 scale model, the laser cannon concept was dropped and the parts removed.

The larger model didn't start out with the police lights either. I believe the genesis of those began with the full-size version and were then retrofitted to the larger spinner model, but not the 15" version.

I remember seeing the Anubis Spinner when it first came out. It as a good effort, but it just required too much work to the front end in order to get it looking right.

Castings of the 4" Spinner are floating around, but of dubious quality. No one I've spoken to knows what happened to the 15" model after filming. BOSS still had some of the molds in the early 90's, but I doubt they were complete.

Gene

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back