Conceptual McQuarrie General Vader helmet (new images)

kropserkel

***please contact me at scott@kropserkel.com about the offering***
Thanks to Phase Pistol for providing the enlightenment about the proper naming for the conceptual helmet, General Vader.
Since our last posting about this creation, we've had the opportunity to experiment with different finishes on the helmet, and continue to be excited about the possibilities left open by McQuarrie's early sketches. I thought we might share some new images of the piece with you, and ask for some feedback from those who know and love this character like no other community.

I have also attached a couple of comparison pictures beside the Don Post Deluxe ESB helmet for scale. Note the gloss finish helmet with the tactical finish face plate variant.

vadconkrop1.jpg

vadconkrop1a.jpg

vadconkrop1b.jpg

vadconkrop1c.jpg

vadconkrop1d.jpg

vadconkrop1e.jpg

More information on our page at http://www.kropserkel.com/DVconceptual.htm

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Thanks to Phase Pistol for providing the enlightenment about the proper naming for the conceptual helmet, General Vader.
Since our last posting about this creation, we've had the opportunity to experiment with different finishes on the helmet, and continue to be excited about the possibilities left open by McQuarrie's early sketches. I thought we might share some new images of the piece with you, and ask for some feedback from those who know and love this character like no other community.

I have also attached a couple of comparison pictures beside the Don Post Deluxe ESB helmet for scale. Note the gloss finish helmet with the tactical finish face plate variant.

vadconkrop1e.jpg

More information on our page at http://www.kropserkel.com/DVconceptual.htm

Thanks for looking!

WOW!

I LOVE IT! The dull finish is my fave! GREAT WORK!!!!!! (y)thumbsup

Looks very cool. Much closer to the original artwork than the recent Hasbro figure. Do you think maybe the top of the "snout" should be more rounded?

Cool! I too like the dull finish. Looks more "metal" than the glossy.

I'm glad they changed the final design for the film. As cool as the prototype looks, the forced sinister look is a bit too comical for my tastes.

Scott

It looks wrong with a glossy lid, it has to be the matte finish for me.

I wonder if the charactor would have been so popular if the concept look had been made a realilty?

I really love this interpretation! Great work (as always), Scott.

Personally, I think there's something interesting in the mixed finish approach. There's an extra bit of "pop" to it.

I think the gloss/matte combo does seem a little stark, but perhaps a satin/matte would look even better?

Either way, it's a supercool piece!

T

Sweet. I have been waiting for someone to make a McQ Vader based on the 1st image that Phase Pistol posted rather than the one from the "Duel" image. Definitely prefer the matte to the glossy.

Good luck & I look forward to more pics.

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words about the piece.

To comment on the rounded nose top section. It was toiled over and decided that the more angular detail was more appealing, and the sketch was so rough that the reflection (white) area could easily be seen as a smooth reflection. In the end, it does differentiate itself substantially from the painting version of the mask.

As for the run. I think you'll find the deal to be exceptionally reasonable, kit or finished. Please contact me at scott@kropserkel.com for more.

For the kit finishers, I would love to see what others would do to finish such a helmet with paint schemes and details. The beauty of tackling the rough sketches is that NOTHING is wrong in the finishes. There is no screen used for comparison.
Also, in the kit format, the mouth grille section (below the nose indentation) is blank and can accept any number of grille bars as you see fit, thin or wide bars. Visionary finishers can customize the concept to their liking and can aim to better match the sketch if so desired. I was amazed at how much the overall look would change by manipulating this region.

Thanks again for all the kind words, and we hope to be of service.

Thanks again all.

Looking at some of McQuarrie's other design work for the film, it always made me wonder if the 'Death Star Droid' (or the insect droid on the Sandcrawler) was an adapted early Vader prop. The insectoid huge eyes and mouth section are most reminiscent of these sketches.

Back