My National Treasure Occular device/Franklin glasses

Gigatron

Sr Member
Well gang,

After what seemed like forever sourcing parts and figuring out how to build these, they're finally done.

The glasses are JAS townsend Franklin glasses reshaped by hand. The lenses are custom cut and ground from 1/8 plexi (something I never want to do again), the loupes are from harbor freight and modified with some brass tubing (3/32 for those looking to build their own) and the color lenses are from anchoroptics.com. I can't say I'd recommend anchoroptics 100% as they never sent me the red lens in my original order and refused to answer any emails after the first. Unfortunately, finding the lenses elsewhere proved to be fruitless, so I had to place a second order for the red lens.

Anyway, on to the pictures

glassesdone1copy.jpg

glassesdone4copy.jpg

glassespipecopy.jpg

Enjoy.

-Fred

Anyway

Excellent! they look really great! I knew reshaping would be more accurate. You originally said the color lenses were too big, right? did you order the red one smaller, or would that not have worked? Either way, they look like a perfect fit. Well done!
Well gang,

After what seemed like forever sourcing parts and figuring out how to build these, they're finally done.

The glasses are JAS townsend Franklin glasses reshaped by hand. The lenses are custom cut and ground from 1/8 plexi (something I never want to do again), the loupes are from harbor freight and modified with some brass tubing (3/32 for those looking to build their own) and the color lenses are from anchoroptics.com. I can't say I'd recommend anchoroptics 100% as they never sent me the red lens in my original order and refused to answer any emails after the first. Unfortunately, finding the lenses elsewhere proved to be fruitless, so I had to place a second order for the red lens.

Enjoy.

-Fred

Anyway

Those are FANTASTIC! you do know the ACTUALY screen used ones were re-used in the movie "Click" by Christopher Walken. modified of course. Just another place to do reserach.

Awesome! The reshaping turned out really good! I need to get back on mine w/ the swapped earpieces sometime- I found some uber tiny brass washers for model trains at the local hobby shop a few days ago, but I'm going to need to get one of those benchtop things with the alligator clips and magnifying glass to hold everything before I can try putting them in. :eek

-Sarge

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm glad I finally got them done :D

PL, the red is the same 1" diameter as the others. Even though the loupe frames say they're 1" and the color filters say they're 1", they still needed to be sanded to fit. Just a matter of sanding and checking the fit, repeatedly. Go too far and the lenses won't stay in.

SJ, I don't know about seeing invisible maps, but what I do know is that when I tried them on, I got a super headache. The clear lens is still the original 5.5x mag lens from the loupe. that, combined with all the different colors makes for one hell of a psychidelic trip :lol

JB, I think I remember reading that in the other thread as well. I have "Click", I just have to go back and rewatch for the glasses now :cool

Sarge, instead of swapping earpieces and using tiny washers, just try reshaping the round glasses. It will be much more accurate. the square frame glasses are too square and the bridge is completely wrong.

And agian, BBabich, PHA, Rylo, MCM, Kad and Markus, Thanks :thumbsup

If anyone decides to make a set and could use some construction advice, feel free to ask. There were definitely some hurdles that I wish I had known about before hand.

-Fred

I JUST caught this movie tonite on tv. MAN ! i really enjoyed it!!
Its one of those films i've been waanting to see but never got around to seein and i finally got to.
Fred you did a great job on those glasses. Did you make the pipe as well?
I'm gonna head to Harbor freight tomorrow.

I JUST caught this movie tonite on tv. MAN ! i really enjoyed it!!
Its one of those films i've been waanting to see but never got around to seein and i finally got to.
Fred you did a great job on those glasses. Did you make the pipe as well?
I'm gonna head to Harbor freight tomorrow.

Hey GR,

Thanks for the compliments. NT is a really fun movie. People like to bash it, but I think it's mainly becaise people forgot how to just enjoy movies any more.

The pipe was actually made by member RelicMaker in a very limited run, a while back. I don't think he offers them any more, but you could always ask.

-Fred

When you went through anchoroptics.com, what specifically did you order or ask for? Looking to do a set myself.

Last edited:
Received the Magnolia medal this week along with the material to make the glasses and popped everything together. The glasses look great, just need to weather the frames now. :)

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/150208/4485350.jpeg

Once I received everything for the glasses, took about an hours work to put it all together. The cost to do so was:
38 for each frames, one for the eye glasses and one for the ear pieces, the edmund science lenses, 12, the mutiple lense pieces 17. A toltal of 105 for all the material. I will get some brass buff and age the frames and it should be all set. They do work well as a set of 3D glasses as well.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back