Good pictures of screen used Firefly and Serenity Mal pistols?

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have the official companion books which have some decent pictures of the Firefly version before filming (very dark). Looking for some good pictures of that version during or after filming with more weathering and more brass showing. Want to try and copy some of the patterns.

Also looking for good pictures of the Serenity version which has very little black left.

Thanks all :)

I don't know why anyone isn't helping you! Guys, what up???? LOL

Anyway, you can go over to Screen Used, and I believe they are the ones who sold not only the real prop, but the production photos of the props.

Just go to screenused.com, then search through their SOLD items. Shouldn't take you long to find them.

If that doesn't work, search for Firefly or Mal under the search engine here. LOTS of people love this gun!!!!

Good Luck brother!

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed you have been a member since 2003. Sorry.... I was just trying to help. I guess you already know about the search engine! (DOH!)

I've got great pics of both. I made a 4-5 minute "behind the scenes" video segment of "how the Mal pistol got converted" for QMx (we interviewed the gunsmith who did the work and he takes the gun apart on camera and goes in depth as to it's construction). The new management decided not to use it (or any of the other segments I made for them...Dracula Ring anyone?), because the new president didn't think they'd increase sales and he favors podcasts...and as we all know, listening to people talk about props is WAY more interesting than seeing them. ;-P

I worked too hard on these for them to not see the light of day, so let me know if you're interested in seeing them and I'll post them on my site at www.moviefxmag.com once the new site goes live next week (the old one with a few updates is what's up there now).

Gary

Oh come on, please... I need the pictures ASAP to get these finished. I have to clear coat the guns soon as the brass is starting to (oxidize I think) tarnish/discolor

:cry

I think we're all interested in seeing that clip, Gary! Post it when you can! :love

No problem, email me at gary@moviefxmag.com and I'll get you some pics. The first video is more comprehensive (with the weapon breakdown) but if you just need reference for painting, the pics I have should help.

I also completed a second video where the gunsmith goes over all the other weapons used in Serenity. I'll post that one too...as well as some funny stuff we shot on the Stargate set. I'm hoping the complete overhaul of my site will be done soon.

Gary

Emailed you yesterday, Gary. Did you get it?

No problem, email me at gary@moviefxmag.com and I'll get you some pics. The first video is more comprehensive (with the weapon breakdown) but if you just need reference for painting, the pics I have should help.

I also completed a second video where the gunsmith goes over all the other weapons used in Serenity. I'll post that one too...as well as some funny stuff we shot on the Stargate set. I'm hoping the complete overhaul of my site will be done soon.

Gary

Sent a second email earlier today. Any sign? My email is kurtyboy@blueyonder.co.uk if you want to send the pictures to me. They are much needed. :D

Yup, got it. I just got home (went from work straight to my old school/church to help build booths for the summer festival this weekend) so I'm exhausted.

I made the video almost a year ago, so I have to look for them in my Mac upstairs (where I do my editing). I probably archived them on one of my many harddrives so I'll see what I can dig up in the morning.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary.
the gunsmith didnt do all the work and im not sure the fabricator of the new parts was credited. Problem is, those guys do so much work they can hold an item and say "this is nice work, who did this" when in fact, its their own work. That happened with the converted Mal gun.
Incedently, a complete new Mal gun was in the process of fabrication before the 2 original live fire weapons were obtained for Serenity.

Hi Rob,

That may be true, and he may mention that (I haven't watched the segment in almost a year). I can't remember the gunsmith's name off hand but he was the guy John Bush from Studio Art and Technology told us to interview.

Christian Colquhoun from Applied FX (who originally made the pistols) is a nice guy. We tried to interview him on camera for the segment but he could never fit it into his busy schedule. We did have dinner with him where he talked about the pistols creation.

BTW, the pics I have are huge and I need to convert them before I can email and post them (Kurtyboy, I tried sending a few of them and AOL just wasn't having any of it). I had the aforementioned church festival this last weekend so hopefully I'll have some time in the next day or so.

Gary

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back