SS Jawa Sand Crawler on Ebay....AGAIN!`

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since we can't post Ebay links, the guy selling the "Preproduction Sand Crawler" on Ebay is at it again! I thought this sold, but maybe it was a non paying bidder...

4e7a_3.JPG

4ba8_3.JPG

4fdb_3.JPG

Yeah, I had thought the SS Crawler was around 3 feet long or so....I remember a pic of Joe Johnston (I think) riding on it like a go-kart.

It has a buy it now for $12,000

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Brad

Shonky. That's no more than what, 18" long? The real deal is more like four feet. Randy Cooper's upcoming kit will be a fair bit bigger than this.

Cheers,
Martyn

PS $12K???!??! !!! ?? ? ?! !

Well...good luck to him....

He doesnt say it's the screen used sandcrawler but a preproduction sandcrawler. That's quite different.
Anyway I saw a preproduction sandcrawler and it doesnt look like this, Ive never seen this one before, but it looks like a big fake ! :p

$12,000 is a bit rich for a maquet/prototype.Not that it doesn't have it "value,but I wouldn't pay $12,000...maybe somewhere between $3,000-$5,000?

$12,000 is a bit rich for a maquet/prototype.Not that it doesn't have it "value,but I wouldn't pay $12,000...maybe somewhere between $3,000-$5,000?

Why would you pay $3000 for someone's scratchbuild? He isn't claiming it is from the Star Wars production: he built it. Er, right? Or is Robert Diepenbrock one of the 1975 ILM guys and I've just never heard of him? Please pardon me if so!!!

Randy Coopers version has been scaled up to the same size as the original film miniature. :)

Oh no. Is that true? That isn't good news. I would LOVE it, but I haven't the space or the money. :(

Cheers,
Martyn

PS OK I googled Mr. Diepenbrock: seems he is a pro, but here's a filmography:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1808950171

- no mention of Star Wars...

Last edited:
I was just throwing a realistic number in there.I suppose much of it depends on his actual time and building materials?I was under the assumption that he acquired the model from ILM somehow?If that's not so and its just a semi acurate scrtach build,$12,000 is waaaaaaaaaaay too much I.M.O.

I was just throwing a realistic number in there.I suppose much of it depends on his actual time and building materials?I was under the assumption that he acquired the model from ILM somehow?If that's not so and its just a semi acurate scrtach build,$12,000 is waaaaaaaaaaay too much I.M.O.

Yeah. It's not totally based on the Joe Johnston sketches from the Star Wars Sketchbook, there's a lot of the actual final design in it too. It's waaaaaaay too much. ;p

I thought it was between 2 and 3 feet. I'll have to do some research. I've seen the thing in person and 2.5 feet comes to mind.

Dave :)

I hate to say it, but these first pics of the RC crawler have some pretty strong inaccuracies in both panel lines/proportions and details. I sent some new pix to Randy in the hopes that he'll work out some of the details to match the SS model better. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I thought it was between 2 and 3 feet. I'll have to do some research. I've seen the thing in person and 2.5 feet comes to mind.

Dug up Chronicles - says 125cm. 'Course, we all know how reliable Chronicles is, but I do believe your figure is a bit on the low side.

I hate to say it, but these first pics of the RC crawler have some pretty strong inaccuracies in both panel lines/proportions and details. I sent some new pix to Randy in the hopes that he'll work out some of the details to match the SS model better. Only time will tell.

Errrrm...not seeing it. I'm not going to be a real rivetcounter for panel lines where there's a big scale difference, but they look pretty good to me and the proportions do too keeping in mind that the 'whole hull' pic is only mocked up, I think, so the base section is shifted aft (it needs to intersect the slope of the front plate).

If you're thinking of the cockpit windows, keep in mind they still lack top and bottom *horizontal* frames as well as the vertical ones - makes the gap look too big.

The only thing I can spot particularly is that just maybe the slope of the roof is slightly exaggerated. But even that's guesswork; will need a side pic to be sure.

What stands out to you?

Cheers,
Martyn

Well, I wrote a bunch of stuff down that bothered me with Randy's crawler kit and I'm retracting it in light of his new photos posted. The proportions look fine in the new pics.......it had to be a photographic anomaly I was seeing. Now I'm really really excited about this project. :)

Dave

ps I could have sworn Randy said this was full SS sized. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking. :)

pps here is the link to the SS model I'm referring to: http://www.forbiddenplastic.com/ref_star_wars/ref_sw_mos_sand_crawler.html

Last edited:
In the Sculting a Galaxy book it says that it was 20 inches tall but doesn't give the length. It says the right side was fully completed. The left half had a gap to access the heavy-duty motorcycle batteries.

I see alot of diiferances. The front nose sweep has many angles on the film version. The one on e-bay is straight. Plus there alot of other things, to many to list. This is someone trying to pass his scratch built off as a SS. If so, he did a decent job on it. It might be worth $200 up to maybe $500 IMO

Screw Studio Scale. I want FULL SCALE!

Darn and here I thought the SS meant it was a leaked pre-prod SideShow Jawa Sandcrawler. AW NUTS!

Okay the sandcrawler is exactly 1.6 yds long. This makes the big guy 4.8 feet in length. (source 365 days of SW) It was 20" tall (modelling a galaxy), and when you scale this on the centerfold photograph, it makes the model only 3.33' long. That's a pretty large discrepancy. If I absolutely had to choose one of those I'd say 3.33' as I saw the thing in person at C3.

The picture of Lorne and others photographed near the model makes it look just a hair longer than a yard stick to me. I think the reported 1.6 yards is more likely to be the Star Destroyer Devastator if that number is even correct for any model from ANH. I'd say they got their memories mixed up a bit on the 1.6 yds thing.

Anyhoo............I don't have room for a 3 foot model so I'll be more than happy with the RCooper one. It fits my space better. :)

Dave

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back