TDK: Harvey Dent/Two Face's Coin

LewisD

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone gathered enough references yet to start making a replica of Two Face's coin? Of all the props seen in TDK, the coin seems to be the one I desire most.

It should be a 1922 silver dollar with two heads.

Corgi may be releasing one eventually; this image popped up earlier this year from the UK Toyfair:
dsc00463fp5.jpg

It's a 1922 Morgan Silver Dollar (also called a "Peace Dollar"). They pop up on e-bay pretty regularly (the normal ones, not the 2-headed kind) and are fairly reasonably priced (at least they were when I got mine about 3 years ago)).

There's a guy in Canada, (Roy Kueppers), who makes 2-headed coins for magicians (including some from Morgan Dollars). I don't know if you can order a specific year from him from his stock, but he will make you one if you supply the coins. I still need to send him mine. After seeing TDK today, I've got lots of incentive to do this.

1922 is a Peace dollar (a Morgan dollar is a different coin). One in decent condition will run you about twenty bucks. You'll need two of them.

When they are altered to make a two-sided gaff, one coin is machined into a shallow cup, with the outer rim and ridges left intact, but the inside of the reverse cut down to about half depth. The second coin is cut down to a thin wafer leaving only the obverse, less the outer rim. This piece is then epoxied into the shell created out of the first coin. The tolerance is very fine and leaving the rim intact helps hide the seam. If done well, they look pretty darned good. The biggest tell is the sound when it lands on a solid surface (kind of a "clunk" instead of a normal coin "ring"), so catch it in your hand if you flip one.

If you're the machinist, start with a clean workspace and save your shavings. You'll wind up with close to .8 ounce of scrap silver for each prop produced.

It's good to know it's a "real" coin! I remember when I read The Long Halloween, I wanted to buy myself a copy of Harvey's coin - when I searched, I discovered that the year on the coin used in that particular comic was a year in which none of that type of silver dollar had been minted. Impossible!

Anyway, this is promising. :)

1922 is a Peace dollar (a Morgan dollar is a different coin).

Correct. The coin was a Peace dollar (an example of Art Deco gone wrong, IMHO).

As a coin collector, I'd hate to see these dollars destroyed unnecessarily, even if they are rather ugly. What about making castings? This would also ease mass production. The coin featured in the movie had a very rough look with unnatural aging/tarnish in crevices of the design, leading me to believe it was not made from true coins and was rather some sort of sculpt or cast.

It should be a 1922 silver dollar with two heads.

Corgi may be releasing one eventually; this image popped up earlier this year from the UK Toyfair:
dsc00463fp5.jpg

It's not coming from Corgi. It's a DC Direct product that will be distributed by Corgi in the UK... If it's ever made, that is.

It didn't look to me as if it were the same on both sides (though one darker than the other) or am I wrong?

im guessing when mattel does a Movie Masters Two Face, it will come with a coin, hopefully metal.

It's not coming from Corgi. It's a DC Direct product that will be distributed by Corgi in the UK... If it's ever made, that is.
Thanks for clearing that up. It is an old image, but the only one that suggested they were planning on releasing one.

im guessing when mattel does a Movie Masters Two Face, it will come with a coin, hopefully metal.
Yeah, that's what I was guessing too. Back for the old Batman Forever movie, the Tommy Lee Jones Two-Face figure came with a metal coin... (which I have, somewhere). So hopefully the Two-face figure, if it's released, will have the coin as evidence...

Last edited:
i got one of the Batman forever Toy Coins myself .

But would like a little more substance and weight. I do like the sound the fake one makes though.

I was already thinking of starting to cast my own coin but being a newbie at that kind of work i figured i'd do some resarch before i start.

and well yeah interest has already begun.

haha

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to mold one up and cast it in white metal of some kind. It could be something to toss around. I know some folks here have done larger projects using the same process.

I feel pretty safe in saying that there is no chance it will be all metal... Or accurate at all for that matter.

they did pretty good on the joker card, and the scarecrow comes with an actual sewn burlap scarecrow mask, i wouldnt be surprised if the coin is decent.

Todd Lassen is making them.
He has them up on ebay right now.

He will darken one side if desired and if you ask him he will put in the four scratches also.
The ones currently on ebay are pretty much pristine as before the fire.

If you need a link PM me.
Mobius

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back