Vibro axe again. (See post #129 - #132)

jason1976

Sr Member
Ok, Ok, I know there a alread some threads about this, both old and new. I know, it's been a project that has started and stopped many times, for many people. (trust me I understand, all my projects take years, because I start working on them, go to something else, and come back to tinker with them from time to time.) However, most of the oldest threads, with all the reel discoveries, and best pics seem to have dropped off. And, all I can find know, is the threads with the same old VD pics, or pics of replicas (nice though they may be, there not the original), and with a list of the same few parts.

So, why am I not posting this in one of those thread? Well feel free to move this to one, if you can find the one it fights in best. I just couldn't find one that would best suit this.

Lets tread this like some new bees are looking at it, because they very well may be.

Let's see some real exhibit photos, high res screen caps, promo photos, what have you.

Lets talk about size. There are diagrams of the blade, but know measurements. that I can find. How long is this thing from end to end. How long is the Vader ish rod? Is the main tube, a tube, or a rod, is it really 1", or like some PVC that says "1 inch" but is acutaly more wider". Is it PVC, or metal. If metal, is it aluminum, or could it be copper, or something?

I know, I know, with any prop you have to do some of the work yourself, and you really need to do a lot of the research yourself. No-one is going to do it for you, and hand it to you on a platter. However, these forums are not just for showing off what you've done. If the work has been done, and the info is there to be had, then it should be freely shard. (sorry if that sounded preachy, I'm not mad or anything, I'm just trying to pre thwart those that are going to tell me to do it myself, when I know for darn sure those same people already have the info, and they just don't care to share. I get that a lot. :( )

Anyway's, post 'em if you got "em . Ideas, findings pics. anything at all. (and again, move this if you like, just point me to were it goes. :) )

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Vibro axe again.

well for starters i believe there was a hero and a stunt axe made for production

the stunt has all the holes filled in and is the one on display in most cases if not all.

you can see the paint weathering differences from screen caps and exhibit pics.

the tube is 1inch in my opinion as it fits nicely in the end of a real soaker a different size would be remote chance since its a common size.

when i built mine i used the real soaker and hairdryer as size reference.

z

Hast really does make waste.

I've had 2 of those orange, toy, han blasters since the mid 90's. (one in the box, and one loose.) I'm a toy collector too, so I never really wanted to cut either one up, but I've re caught Vibro axe fever, and thought "what the heck". So, today I cut up my loose toy han blaster, only to notice that it was one of the one's with the screws on the wrong side. (the scope side of the gun) And to make it worse, the one in the box, turns out to be one of the ones with the screws on the other side. (like the one's back in the day, and on the real axe. ) :(

So, now I have to decide. A) I could just go with what I have, and live with it being just the tiniest bit off from the real deel. B) cut up my other blaster. or C) buy another blaster off ebay. (though as a toy collector it would feel sacrilegious to cut up a vintage toy blaster, as I never had one as a kid.)

don't know. What do you all think.

Oh, and keep the info coming. Like should I leave the screen in the vents on the supper max? It looks really cool, but it, is it there on the real prop?

Hast really does make waste.

I've had 2 of those orange, toy, han blasters since the mid 90's. (one in the box, and one loose.) I'm a toy collector too, so I never really wanted to cut either one up, but I've re caught Vibro axe fever, and thought "what the heck". So, today I cut up my loose toy han blaster, only to notice that it was one of the one's with the screws on the wrong side. (the scope side of the gun) And to make it worse, the one in the box, turns out to be one of the ones with the screws on the other side. (like the one's back in the day, and on the real axe. ) :(

So, now I have to decide. A) I could just go with what I have, and live with it being just the tiniest bit off from the real deel. B) cut up my other blaster. or C) buy another blaster off ebay. (though as a toy collector it would feel sacrilegious to cut up a vintage toy blaster, as I never had one as a kid.)

don't know. What do you all think.

Oh, and keep the info coming. Like should I leave the screen in the vents on the supper max? It looks really cool, but it, is it there on the real prop?

IIRC, The orange blasters have an issue with the fins on the part you need. so you need a vintage blaster for an accurate Vibro-Axe anyway..
perfect is better, but, I've used both and in the end i was happy with it either way.
Back then, i took the screens out of my hair-dryers. as far as i could tell it was not used in the Reel Axe. some hi-def pix would be sweet.

Ok, so witch toy blaster is right? The real prop looks to have a step going from what would be the bottom of the blaster, to were the vents are. The Orange one has the step, but it also has a little bit of extra pastic on eich side between the first 2 fines. The other orange one (the one I cut up) has an angled bit, instead of the step, and also has that extra bit of plastic between the first two fins. The real prop does not appear to have that extra piece of plastic.

So, I see why I need to go vintage, but there is an ANH version, and an ESB versions to choose from. I can't find a good pic of them. POSW says there the same, but I would hate to get the wrong one, and find it is also off, like the orange ones. I can't tell if either (or both) of these vintage blasters have the needed step, and other fetures that make it a match of the real deal.

Ok, so witch toy blaster is right? The real prop looks to have a step going from what would be the bottom of the blaster, to were the vents are. The Orange one has the step, but it also has a little bit of extra pastic on eich side between the first 2 fines. The other orange one (the one I cut up) has an angled bit, instead of the step, and also has that extra bit of plastic between the first two fins. The real prop does not appear to have that extra piece of plastic.

So, I see why I need to go vintage, but there is an ANH version, and an ESB versions to choose from. I can't find a good pic of them. POSW says there the same, but I would hate to get the wrong one, and find it is also off, like the orange ones. I can't tell if either (or both) of these vintage blasters have the needed step, and other fetures that make it a match of the real deal.

I agree with TPOSW..They are the same, except for the sticker.
Though, you might wanna check Sansweets collection or guidebook for pics and details on the vintage blasters.

i thought they were all the same:unsure

i used a vintage esb i got cheap of ebay. thats probably what was used.

z

1.) OK, so here are the pics of mine in progress.

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/propboard/vibroaxe/

2.) I ended up using one of these for the blade (not exact manufacturer, but close). Its a good alternative to a live blade and seemed to be a pretty good fit.

http://www.a2zcostume.com/more/89111432-Knife-Butcher-Knife-15-Inch/

3.) Here is the tutorial I made for one of the pieces:

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/swprops/pics/misc/vibroaxe/viberoaxe-pipe-thing.html

4.) And finally, I am working on casting up the soaker in solid resin, but with the center hole already made during the casting process. I finally figure this one out and made them work.

soaker3.jpg

So, when I get it all together, I hope to make a tutorial for my site.

All I have left to do is basically add the soaker, some greeblies and paint.

Thats where I am.

1.) OK, so here are the pics of mine in progress.

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/propboard/vibroaxe/

2.) I ended up using one of these for the blade (not exact manufacturer, but close). Its a good alternative to a live blade and seemed to be a pretty good fit.

http://www.a2zcostume.com/more/89111432-Knife-Butcher-Knife-15-Inch/

3.) Here is the tutorial I made for one of the pieces:

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/swprops/pics/misc/vibroaxe/viberoaxe-pipe-thing.html

4.) And finally, I am working on casting up the soaker in solid resin, but with the center hole already made during the casting process. I finally figure this one out and made them work.

soaker3.jpg

So, when I get it all together, I hope to make a tutorial for my site.

All I have left to do is basically add the soaker, some greeblies and paint.

Thats where I am.

Well, I'm on the list for one of your resin soakers. :)

I've had one of the correct suppermax's for so many years now, I don't recall when I got it. (at list 5 years or, so.) A few days ago I finaly took the guts out. (it was fun, I love taking things apart, and seeing how they work. :) )

I already talked about how I goofed up on the blaster part, but after sleeping on it, I figure, I have this part, I could through it out, and start over, OR before I spend money to start over, I could try to fix some of the issues with the part. What can it hert. I mean, I may be able to file down that extra piece of plastic between the fins, and if I'm careful I may even be able to file in step bellow then fins. (in the worse case I'll be no worse off, I'll have some practice working with the part, and I can still by a vintage one if I need to. :) )

I can get an 1" aluminum pipe at Lowes, or HD, or one of the other hardware stores I go.

I'm thinking about the toy knifes for the blade. Every time I see them at costume shops, and around Halloween time, I think "man that looks like a vibro axe blade". And, it would be easier then making on from scratch. Probably cheeper too. And wall the tip may be rounded off ,a bit, that might be nice for conventions, and stuff. I think I'm going to price them at local shops before I buy online though.

That's about were I'm at right now.

What Picture is everyone using to size the parts off of? I mean, I did scans of both the VD full prop shot, and the darker pic, that's actually pointing in the correct direction, from the MOM book. But, both are a little fuzzy/pixely/grainy when blown up to 5' feat, or what ever it should be. And, that makes it hard to get a true measurement of some of the parts. So, is there other pics a should be using?

Also, that about the coily parts? Are they all the same stuff? I know there has been talk that it could be the same stuff as the Tie pilot hoses. (old hair dryer hose, or something like that.) But, what is everyone around here going to use? Also, how do you keep it from moving? I mean, if it is that hose stuff, that stuff is very flexible (springy.) So, how do you keep it from moving around, and paint, chipping off, etc?

Thought i would take a few pics of my one with a tape measure. i used the hairdryer/soaker as my constants. and worked out all the spacing from those.......

AXE1-1.jpg

AXE2-2.jpg

AXE3-1.jpg

AXE4.jpg

AXE5-1.jpg

AXE6.jpg

AXE7.jpg

i hope these are of use to my fellow builders. if you want the larger pics i can email them to you. these were taken with my phone, sorry for the poor quality.

z

Thought i would take a few pics of my one with a tape measure. i used the hairdryer/soaker as my constants. and worked out all the spacing from those.......

AXE1-1.jpg

AXE2-2.jpg

AXE3-1.jpg

AXE4.jpg

AXE5-1.jpg

AXE6.jpg

AXE7.jpg

i hope these are of use to my fellow builders. if you want the larger pics i can email them to you. these were taken with my phone, sorry for the poor quality.

z

Outstanding! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :)

That IS a great Vibro Axe! I remember following Boba Debt's active project all those years ago, and though I never participated by building one of my own, it was a fun thread to follow.

I miss those active projects!

:)

whoops i forgot to take a pic of the blade lenth.

ill do that tomorrow and maybe some other details.

z

Zorg, thank you for the pictures and measurements. Im almost off and running on this project. Need one more item.

Dex.

What about the rippley bits. (you know the ribbed bits, above the supper Max, bellow the blaster part, and above to soaker.) I've heard different things for each of these sections, and I just want to get it right. So what was used, and if I can't get what was used, what is a good modern substitute.

Thanks again for all the help so far folks. (epecaily Zorg, your pics have been most helpful. :) )

On mine, I used regular extention cord for the bottom and center grips.

For the top, I used a flexable plastic sink tube.

Let the debate begin...again :p

i cant remember what i used. it was some sort of round extention cable, i tried some shrink tubing over the top once it was wrapped around but it doesnt give a good finish, the ridges are not defined enough, so i took it off again

i tried to wrap it in groups of 2 if you know what i mean. 2 tight together then a little space. (for the lower grips)

z

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back