Much Requested Joker Shoe How To: Updated 10/14/08

AZspidey

This is a thread where I am going to show you guys/gals how I made my TDK Joker shoes. First off please if you're new DO NOT post questions about other items of joker clothing or "hey look what I found on ebay". Lets keep this about these shoes. Ok? Now on with the show. Here is what my final shoe looked like in the end. (Yes I know there is no heal on the shoe, Im 6'4" I dont need heals :lol) This shoe is by far not easy to make, so keep that in mind when thinking if you should make these or buy a similar shoe.

shoeweathered.jpg

100_0039.jpg

100_0215.jpg

Step 1 First thing you need to do is get a pair of renaissance shoes. I got the brown and converted them to black, as you will see later. Also find as many reference pics as you can of the real shoe.
2305.jpg

Step 2 Cut the straps off of them
100_0025.jpg

Step 3 Measure out the shoe and draw up some templates
100_0023.jpg

You should have:
x1 side
x1 back
x1 tongue
x1 toe with hole pattern
x1 back with hole pattern

Step 4 Take the tongue pattern and trace around it on semi thick interfacing. (same thickness as the shoe) Then stitch it to the top of the shoe
100_0028.jpg

Step 5 Time to cut out all your other pieces. This time you will need the interfacing that when you iron it to the material is will adhere on both sides.

Sides and the back use the same thickness as the interfacing you used for the tongue
The front toe pieces used the same iron on stuff, but the really thin kind.
Cut 2 more sides out of the really thin interface. (Not pictured)
100_0026.jpg

Step 6 For the back cut small notches at the bottom so it can flow wth the curve of the shoe.
100_0030.jpg

Step 7 Now its time to iron the two back pieces and the two side pieces (only one pictured) down to the material. I used a fake suede that had a slight stretch to it for the material. You will need something with a stretch to it for later on when recovering the shoe itself. When cutting out the material make sure you leave about a quarter of an inch around the whole thing to fold and cover the sides.
100_0031.jpg

Step 8 After you have the thinker pieces ironed down clip the edges and fold them over and iron them down to the back. Because the material has stretch to it you should be able to pull it tight enough so you dont get any wrinkles.
100_0032.jpg

Step 9 Now take your thinner side interfacing and iron it down to some of your fabric. On this piece just cut it out to the edge, you dont need any overlap
100_0034.jpg

Step 10 Now take the thinner piece you just made and lay it on the back of the thicker one made earlier and iron them together. This will keep the edges from comming up from wear. The whole piece should be black now (Front and Back)
100_0035.jpg

Step 11 Repeat steps 7 & 8 for the 2 back pieces. You do not need the thinner backing piece because the 2 back pieces get glued directly to the shoe.

Step 12 Lay your original pattern on the lower back piece and mark where the holes go with a chalk pencil. Now take a leather hole punch and punch out the holes on the back piece.
100_0036.jpg

Step 13 Iron a piece of the thin iron on interfacing to a piece of fabric larger than the front toe piece pattern. Then trace around the pattern and cut out the shape.
100_0055.jpg

Step14 Next punch out the holes the same way you did on the back piece
100_0054.jpg

Step 15 HERE'S THE TRICKY/HARD PART, Covering the shoe. The reason for this is so the tongue that you stitched onto the shoe looks like its all one piece. I layed a piece of muslim cloth on top of the shoe and traced around it to get the size material to cover the shoe. Make sure to leave a lot extra around the sides to make sure you have enough material to cover the entire shoe. Once that is done you can now lay the muslim cloth on your fabric, trace around it and cut it out.
100_0040.jpg

Step 16 Now using a strong contact cement start gluing the material down to the shoe a little at a time. Make sure to stretch it and keep it tight so you have no wrinkles.
100_0041.jpg

100_0042.jpg

100_0044.jpg

I will update as I get more time. Stay tuned

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Much Requested Joker Shoe How To:

Nice! I love tutorials like this.

If I get time I'll be doing something similar to this to make my kid's Speed Racer boots, so this will be very helpful. :)

Re: Much Requested Joker Shoe How To: Updated 10/10/08

Great tutorial. Bet this technique would work on a dress shoe as well.

that is friggin amazing man!! very well done, now that is an art

Griff

btw...wanna see a joker jacket i saw on ebay?? lol jk Keep up the fantastic work man

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back