JP Baby Raptor Pic Request

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Does anyone have any good reference pictures of the newly hatched raptor from Jurassic Park? The DVD seems to show it as a different colour from the adult raptors. The DVD doesn't show it too well - are there any good behind the scenes pics (Winston Effect only has unpainted sculpt pics)? I'm interested in the colour scheme to paint one up.

No pics but memory serves right it was a light tannish color with tiger stripes, sort of like the ones in JP3.

I believe the "Making of" book has a couple of pics of the sculpt, unpainted tho.. Plus there are a few "Crash" drawings showing them all shaded in

Just looked through the Making of book.
Only pic is small and only shows the head covered in red fluid.

D6

No pics but memory serves right it was a light tannish color with tiger stripes, sort of like the ones in JP3.

Sure you're not thinking of Allosaur's baby raptor that was made for a TV documentary that painted it based on the JP2 raptor colour scheme? This one:

raptor2.jpg

I bought the JP Raptor Hatchling toy:

RaptorHatchlingMIB1a.jpg

While it LOOKS like a toy now, the sculpt is pretty good so it should paint up well. I've removed the horrible yellow plastic eyes (seen in the above pic) and replaced them with nice green glass eyes - it looks 100x better already!

No I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the screen used one, someones right though, most of what I remeber was it covered in red goop, but the scheme on the toy was close I think, but I may be remebering the novel too, M.C. was really good at describing the animals.

God how -funny. I did this project literally about 10 or 15 years ago!

I'd found the egg toy, and thought it was pretty good.

Only difference is that I'd found another raptor toy (I think it was a "koosh ball" type toy) for the raptor itself.

Not sure how I missed this thread last year. Did you finish your project?

I bought the JP Raptor Hatchling toy:

RaptorHatchlingMIB1a.jpg

While it LOOKS like a toy now, the sculpt is pretty good so it should paint up well. I've removed the horrible yellow plastic eyes (seen in the above pic) and replaced them with nice green glass eyes - it looks 100x better already!

God how -funny. I did this project literally about 10 or 15 years ago!

I'd found the egg toy, and thought it was pretty good.

Only difference is that I'd found another raptor toy (I think it was a "koosh ball" type toy) for the raptor itself.

Not sure how I missed this thread last year. Did you finish your project?

I started it, but again, never quite finished it.... :lol Due to the lack of good references I went with the JP1 adult raptor colour scheme (dark green brown tones). The basics have been completed, but it could still do with more detail work.

Not sure if I am stating the obvious, but the raptor is clearly coming out of an Ostrich egg. They are commonly found and last forever if well cleaned. I have a broken egg from an Ostrich farm in Aruba and it looks great in the JP collection.

You sure? Can't see any stripes on the JP1 raptors....
Nah, you won't see it that clearly in the promo pictures or in the movie itself, but in the behind the scenes documentaries you get a glimpse of how they painted them and then I found these - there is a slight striping effect in the paint job, but true, it isn't much:

(I found them online, but will take them down if requested)

edit: ****, beaten!

The "tiger stripes" color pattern didn't appear on the raptors until the second movie. In JP1 they were mere a mottled brown/red. The baby raptor is a very light tan with a much lighter underbelly, and yes it is just covered in red egg goop.

aze63k.png

2w3xdfm.png

2a8rv2t.png

v6tftk.png

Back