Firefly obscuria: help with MONTY?

xardoz

Hi gang,

He was only in "Trash," but it was clearly a setup for other possibilities - I'm talking about that sasquatch name o' Monty.

I emailed with Shawna Trpcic about this costume, but she wasn't able to recall much. Franc Ross as a last minute casting decision, so they had to scramble to get something -anything! - together that would fit him.
From Shawna (a classy lady to help a total stranger like this):
so he is wearing pieces from all over the rental house :) - the vest is a "quilted" asian "vest" it was a ruff cotton - if I am remembering right - the white shirt is classic western taupe - looks white but it was teched - the "necklace" was a shoulder epilette from another costume - the pants look like western period as well - he was cast at the last minute and was larger than we thought he'd be so his costume was a scramble sorry I do not remember more details
good luck and good choice
Any help ID-ing these pieces would be greatly appreciated. I've got some screen caps here, pardon the res and repeats, please.

multi-riveted belt and boots
Monty_1_boots_belt.jpg

His gun rig never makes an appearance, but he gestures towards it on entrance and the holster tie-down dangles in one shot, so we know he's armed. Boots shown better here, too:
Monty_6_boots_holster_thong.jpg

The zig-zag quilted lining of the "asian vest":
MOnty_13_quilted_lining.sized.jpg

Here you can see he's wearing a leather vest under the quilted job, and the epaulet worn as a gorget:
Monty_7_leather_vest.sized.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:
One of the weird things about the quilted vest is that there is a patch down where the zipper would be with the numbers 1483 in an odd, sci-fi typeface. I can't quite grab it, so here's the best I could do:
monty_16_yellow_1483.sized.jpg

The quilted over-vest has buckle epaulets on it, and seems to buckle to the shoulders of his leather under-vest:
MOnty_17_buckle_is_brass.sized.jpg

The sleeves seem to be attached to what Shawna called an "asian vest", which to me means a coat, and the sleeves and the asian vest seem to be splotched with black paint or something, which lends a "very distressed leather" look, IMHO.

Here you can see the edge of the 1483 patch peeking out, and it's clearly attached to the asian vest:
monty_8_1483_patch_on_cloak.sized.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on the epaulet / gorget, his vests, belt or boots? Everything else (except his shirt and pants) is sufficiently obscured that I think I can reasonably take artistic license.

thanks - I'll post there, too. But since the costume was a pick-n-pull from the prop rental company, I thought folks here would be more likely to be able ID the individual pieces.

That padded coat/vest thing is maddening. The lining looks exactly like the zig-zag quilting on a moving blanket. I've heard that movie studios like to use blankets like that for improvised sound-deadening, so I'm wondering if the coat/vest wasn't something cobbled together for some other production. :confused

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back