Visible B-17, Finally Finished - many large pics

Gigatron

Sr Member
Well, it's been 10 long months, using every last technique I know, but she's finally finished.

Just a few basics; it's the re-release kit that came out last year, it has every PE kit that Eduards makes for it and a ton of scratchbuilt items.

So, without further ado, I am pleased to finally introduce, the completed Visible B-17

B-17finished1.jpg

B-17finished2.jpg

B-17finished3.jpg

B-17finished4.jpg

B-17finished5.jpg

B-17finished6.jpg

and for those who haven't followed, here's a few pics of the inside before she was buttoned up

mockupfuselage.jpg

mockupcockpit.jpg

cockpit.jpg

mockupradio1.jpg

mockupradio2.jpg

mockupwaist1.jpg

mockupwaist2.jpg

mockupbombs.jpg

mockuprear.jpg

As always, cronstructive criticisms and questions are welcome.

Enjoy,
-Fred

Thanks, guys :$ :cool

Neil, On the one hand, I'd love to do another bird like this, but it would have to be at least 1/32, but ideally, 1/24. Which leads me to the real problem; in order to do this, I'd have to make my own clear half. Which means building a vacformer and finding either clear lexan or clear styrene sheets.

Womo, photoetch has come a long way and has really changed the game in modeling. Eduards, a company HQ'd in the Czech republic, puts out the best PE sets for most of the popular kits out there.

Next up is going to be a real change of pace for me - I'm going to try my hand at an M4 Sherman tank, late variation. Let's hope all my aircraft "skills" translate to the treads :lol.

-Fred

Criticisms ???? Who would critic that model ???

Really awesome....I really need to show those pics to a friend, he will be amazed to say the least.

Awesome detail(y)thumbsup IMHO, well worth the time you put into it. It clearly shows that you enjoyed what you were doing:)

Thanks again, everyone.

Hey Rob, I'm working on taking some new pics for submission to FSM magazine. Once I get a few true beauty shots, I'll post them up. These didn't come out nearly as well as I would have liked :unsure

-Fred

Very nice. I remember the original pictures and the finished piece is just stunning.

Nice work.

Matthew

Good Lord, Fred!
My friend, no matter what you do for the rest of your life nobody can ever take away the fact that you accomplished this amazing feat. I am giddy looking at it. I have been building one for over a year now and have stalled out several months ago. I have a sealed fuselage s what's in it is in it for good. I should post the many photos I took of it before I sealed it. Man I love the navigator's table with the flight route and the notepad. Wow did you ever put some great work into this. My hat is off to you Sir!!

Very nice job! I've always had a love for this plane even as a kid, and if you ever get the chance to ride on one, do it without hesitation. I took my dad on the Nine O Nine when it was here in St. Pete, Florida last March, and it was incredible. I look at the details inside, and it brings many memories back.

Cheers, and great job.

Guy

Very, very cool. When I was in high school I'd go to the airfield in Mesa, AZ and they had 3 or 4 B-17s that had been converted to slurry bombers for forest fires. Your excellent model brings back a lot of memories.

Good Lord, Fred!
My friend, no matter what you do for the rest of your life nobody can ever take away the fact that you accomplished this amazing feat. I am giddy looking at it. I have been building one for over a year now and have stalled out several months ago. I have a sealed fuselage s what's in it is in it for good. I should post the many photos I took of it before I sealed it. Man I love the navigator's table with the flight route and the notepad. Wow did you ever put some great work into this. My hat is off to you Sir!!

Thanks, bigbehw :cool. Most of the detail is a result of boredom from working on other parts :lol. Detailing is the most fun part of a build, for me. So after working on structural detail, I'd just go and do something fun. One day, I just decided the Nav position needed something, other than a boring wooden table. So, I found a jpeg of an old aerial map, scaled it down and drew some lines. I built a navigator's parallel ruler and a clipboard with pencil. Then I got bored and added a Radio Operator's log book and headphones. In modeling, boredom is the mother of invention :lol.

You should definitely post up what you have. It's nice to see stuff other than sci-fi.

That is awesome! I like the maps you added in there too. Are the .50cal belt feeds photoetched?

They are indeed photoetch - and a reall headache because they consist of 2 seperate parts, the bullets and the belt carrier. The carrier is so finicky that it's almost impossible to bend, correctly. If it were a simple, single fold, it would be one thing. But it's a 2 fold, open box design. And that middle fold is so small, it's easy to destroy the entire belt if you're not careful.

Very nice job! I've always had a love for this plane even as a kid, and if you ever get the chance to ride on one, do it without hesitation. I took my dad on the Nine O Nine when it was here in St. Pete, Florida last March, and it was incredible. I look at the details inside, and it brings many memories back.

Cheers, and great job.

Guy

I'd love the chance to get to ride in one, but there hasn't been a 17, that was offering rides, to a tri-state area show, in a long time :(.

Very, very cool. When I was in high school I'd go to the airfield in Mesa, AZ and they had 3 or 4 B-17s that had been converted to slurry bombers for forest fires. Your excellent model brings back a lot of memories.

Thank you :cool. I'm glad that I got enough of it right, to ellicit such wonderful memories, in so many people :)

-Fred

Back