1:1 ESB Yoda Puppet/ WIP

Chewie15

Sr Member
This is my new ESB Yoda puppet project I've been working on in my personal time, mainly on a few Sunday afternoons here and there ;) Since it is personal project I cannot work on it much, but I got a little further today so I thought I'd show it off so far...

I'm very inspired right now by RPF member Trap Joe's Yoda puppet, so I'm going to attempt an actual puppet with this new sculpture! I have the hands and feet started too... and once I get everything done I will cast it all in silicone and make an actual working puppet ;) And since my goal is to have cable controlled features I sculpted him with his mouth in a neutral, slightly open position.

Constructive criticism is welcome since this still has a ways to go...

ESB2010_1.jpg

ESB2010_2.jpg

ESB2010_3.jpg

ESB2010_4.jpg

H

www.howardsstudios.com

Looking good Howard! I have some experience building and operating puppets. All I can say is, try to keep imagining where the operator's arm, hand and wrist will be. Judging by the profile, I'd say it's on target. The chin is "jutted" forward enough from the rear base of the neck to allow for a relaxed arm/wrist posture. (I hope this is making sense)
I once thought about reworking an animatronic yoda, I worked on, into a hand puppet. I realized, unfortunatly, that it would involve a resculpt. The pathway up the neck to the mouth was too much of a right angle to accommodate a human hand. Maybe one day...
I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take this. Thanks for sharing.

When you finished with your mold do you have plans of offering others for sale and how much would it run? I would love to put a Yoda together!

Looking good Howard! I have some experience building and operating puppets. All I can say is, try to keep imagining where the operator's arm, hand and wrist will be. Judging by the profile, I'd say it's on target. The chin is "jutted" forward enough from the rear base of the neck to allow for a relaxed arm/wrist posture. (I hope this is making sense)
I once thought about reworking an animatronic yoda, I worked on, into a hand puppet. I realized, unfortunatly, that it would involve a resculpt. The pathway up the neck to the mouth was too much of a right angle to accommodate a human hand. Maybe one day...
I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take this. Thanks for sharing.

I took the neck angle into consideration... I hope it's where it should be. This Yoda is also bigger than the one I made before (based on some good size reference I received), so it should work well as a puppet ;) Besides, the eye mechanism needs some room too. Being my first puppet I'm pretty excited to finish this project! Someday...

When you finished with your mold do you have plans of offering others for sale and how much would it run? I would love to put a Yoda together!

Quite a few members here sell Yoda kits...

Looks great Howard. Definately going in the right direction:thumbsup

Thanks Phil!

H

www.howardsstudios.com

I like the slightly "younger" look to the piece. Pretty much what I had expected to see in ep1. Definitely Yoda.

Episode 1?? No, that is not what I am going for here :lol

Remember, there will be wrinkles and textures added once the overall forms are there... maybe that's why he seems younger to you?

I better get back to work if this looks like that Yoda... oh boy :D

H

www.howardsstudios.com

I think it's looking good, it may be angle Howard, but are the lower jaw muscles slightly too bulky? Maybe if you take another photo of your sculpt at the same angle as the ESB photo posted above. I don't see any connection to Episode I my friend.......LOL.

Dave :)

Episode 1?? No, that is not what I am going for here :lol

Remember, there will be wrinkles and textures added once the overall forms are there... maybe that's why he seems younger to you?

I better get back to work if this looks like that Yoda... oh boy :D

H

www.howardsstudios.com

I think he doesnt meant your Yoda looks like the EP 1 but that he would like to have that Yoda have had such a look in EP 1...i second that.

I think he doesnt meant your Yoda looks like the EP 1 but that he would like to have that Yoda have had such a look in EP 1...i second that.
Exactly. This is how the ep1 puppet SHOULD have looked. Yours looks like Yoda... only slightly younger, with less wrinkles and a bit more smooth skin. The ep1 Yoda looked like a whole other character, but of the same species, both sculpt and colorwise.

Honestly, I think some of the wrinkle-work looks too clean, but again, this is an early stage and the smaller detailing hasn't been done yet, so there's still time to create a more natural, wonky, rough look.

One thing. It was mentioned, but the lower jaw looks a bit too protruding and large, giving him a bit of an underbite look, whereas iirc the puppet had a bit of an overbite look!? Another thing I see people sculpting Yoda is giving him an upward turning nose instead of the straight out tip.

Looking forward to seeing further progress.

Wow! Most impressive, I can't wait to see the finished sculpt. Looking forward to the hands and feet too.:)

Back