1/2600 scale 2001 Space Station by Moebius (pre-order for end of May)

I think that this news was in another thread already...saying that, I think that, for a desk-display-model, it's a great way to satisfy the 2001 crowd.
Seems that the face is quite accurate (since we had the pics of the original and its details). Some scaling is difficult to achieve due to the scale, but if someone would be ready to add some accuracy, it would be fun to do.

I think that this news was in another thread already...saying that, I think that, for a desk-display-model, it's a great way to satisfy the 2001 crowd.
Seems that the face is quite accurate (since we had the pics of the original and its details). Some scaling is difficult to achieve due to the scale, but if someone would be ready to add some accuracy, it would be fun to do.
I thought I'd seen it here as well but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I figured it can't hurt to post this front and center so it has some visibility.

Glad you posted this. I'm excited for the kit. Interesting that they chose not to open up the windows. The plastic should light up nicely, but masking will be a little tedious. I'm exploring ways to light up the model and mount it on a mechanism to make it rotate. It'll be a fun problem to solve.

Glad you posted this. I'm excited for the kit. Interesting that they chose not to open up the windows. The plastic should light up nicely, but masking will be a little tedious. I'm exploring ways to light up the model and mount it on a mechanism to make it rotate. It'll be a fun problem to solve.
You're braver than me:eek:(y)(y):love::love: I was just thinking of replacing the tensing cable with thinner ones (maybe my wife's hair:p(y))

Interesting that they chose not to open up the windows.
That’s a polite way to put it. I’d call it disappointing.

It’s such a shame that Round2 or someone didn’t go for the 2001 licence. Compare the new Round2 “studio series” TIE fighter, and the decisions they made in designing it (sharp crisp moulding, key decisions to simplify both painting and lighting, close fidelity to the original models), to the stuff that Moebius have been putting out under that licence… :/

Last edited:
Replacing the wires is a must for sure. I found this electric motor with a slip ring to power the lights during rotation. I need to investigate further, but something like this should work. Amazon.com
Probably placing a rod through the whole thing...Thanks for the link, btw(y)(y) I don't know if I'm going to cut the windows :eek::eek::eek:
I still have shivers down my spine thinking of the 240 windows I cut (by hand) on my "studio scale" Space Station:p:p:p

I have some doubts about the scale... Moebius states that the model is in 1:2600 scale and that the diameter is 35cm. But if that were the case, the size of the station would be 910 meters, while Wikipedia and other sources state a diameter of 300 meters (984 feet). Furthermore, a human of average height at 1:2600 scale would be just over half a millimeter tall (!!!) and the station windows would be as big as a cinema screens... Has Moebius confused feet with metres? With a diameter of 35cm, the model should be 1:857 scale.

This isn't meant as a criticism, but does the accuracy of the scale really matter? The station model is supposed to be in scale to the tiny Orion that comes with it, so that's the only comparison that needs to be made. To be honest, even on the original, the comparison in scale between the windows on the station and the size of the Orion seems cheated.

This isn't meant as a criticism, but does the accuracy of the scale really matter? The station model is supposed to be in scale to the tiny Orion that comes with it, so that's the only comparison that needs to be made. To be honest, even on the original, the comparison in scale between the windows on the station and the size of the Orion seems cheated.
Yes, absolutely! Orion's windows are "too big" compared to the ones on the Space Station 8 footer model. If you look at the interior set, the windows' scale relative to human's should not taken for model scaling.:eek::p

This is what I'm thinking for a stand to house the slow rotation motor and the slip ring for the lights. I want something to hold it securely as it moves and thought to myself, "Why not make the support the Monolith?" The curved based will mimic the curve of the Earth without being too intrusive. Another option would be to use the Mobius HAL-9000 kit instead of the Monolith as the support. That could look cool.
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 2.11.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 2.11.30 PM.png

There was a Howard Johnson (Ho-Jo) comic dated from the film's release that gives a different size of 600 feet (182.88m) which seems a tad off... :cool:

Attachments

• 2021-12-10 13_50_54-1968 ... '2001' Ho-Jo menu-comic book! _ James Vaughan _ 0103.jpg
    2021-12-10 13_50_54-1968 ... '2001' Ho-Jo menu-comic book! _ James Vaughan _ 0103.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 22
This is what I'm thinking for a stand to house the slow rotation motor and the slip ring for the lights. I want something to hold it securely as it moves and thought to myself, "Why not make the support the Monolith?" The curved based will mimic the curve of the Earth without being too intrusive. Another option would be to use the Mobius HAL-9000 kit instead of the Monolith as the support. That could look cool.
View attachment 1823256View attachment 1823257
I like it. As for me, I think that a self hovering one would be cool, as to not masking any parts of the station.:unsure::p

I like it. As for me, I think that a self hovering one would be cool, as to not masking any parts of the station.:unsure::p

If you can figure out a way to make it self hover, you'll officially be RPF's resident god/genius! :lol:

I think mounting it through the rear hub makes sense since that's how it was on the original and there's no official documentation (I could be wrong -- I'm sure I'll be corrected) that there is a second landing bay there anyway. I always assumed the hub opposite the landing bay housed the station's fuel cells and power reactor since it clearly wasn't solar powered.

If you can figure out a way to make it self hover, you'll officially be RPF's resident god/genius! :lol:

I think mounting it through the rear hub makes sense since that's how it was on the original and there's no official documentation (I could be wrong -- I'm sure I'll be corrected) that there is a second landing bay there anyway. I always assumed the hub opposite the landing bay housed the station's fuel cells and power reactor since it clearly wasn't solar powered.
Members here made several overing training remotes:
1716650337766.png

The actual model was either mounted at the front (finished ring) for shot showing the red landing bay at the "under construction ring...or at the rear (unfinished ring) with the "plug": i.e. same face/landing bay, switched to the front of the model with landing lights on.;)

Indeed - and there are companies which make high-end magnetic levitation devices used for expensive product marketing in high-end shops and trade shows. They're capable of lifting considerably more weight than the affordable toys used for the training remotes, and to a greater height. I looked into those for a project, but they're really expensive and so I dropped it.

One device I looked at can lift up to 10kg in weight, which is pretty amazing. But it cost about €5000 in 2016. Yikes!

You'd have to put a bunch of rare earth magnets into one of the hubs, and the station would only be able to float horizontally, but it'd be doable if you wanted to throw enough money at the problem. :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back