XCOM Weapons Props: Pistol

JeepSoup

I got my 3D printer back in the spring. I wanted a nice big prop to work on, possibly mold, and learn the ins & outs of 3D printed props before I tackled anything too complex. I love the game XCOM, so I decided on a couple of the weapons from the game. I wanted to do the basic weaponry since I wouldn't have to worry with adding lighting to my first 3D printed prop.

I started off with an export of the in game model.
Pistol-view1.jpg

I then used a combination of 3ds MAX 2009, NetFabb, and Wings 3D to rebuild the model. Some low poly bits were left alone (like the front sight), some were rebuilt (like the tube under the barrel), and some had their polygons smoothed & details added. (like the grip) The final result had very little original geometry left.
Game-vs-Print.jpg
This being my first print, I didn't know about the warping you could get printing large flat pieces. I now know that I need to stand the models up on the print bed! So, here's some of the gaps I got to fill.
photo 330.JPGphoto 422.JPG

This was followed by lots of bondo, sanding, priming, and repeat. (BTW, you can see the original aborted MDF pistol build in these photos.

IMGP5470.JPGIMGP5473.JPGIMG_3621.JPG

I ended up with the final master pistol model.
pistol-master-finished.jpg

Now on to Molding! I had a HUGE amount of help from my buddy Walter Marlin on this, my first molding project.

IMG_4092.JPGIMG_4108.JPGIMG_4099.JPGIMG_4097.JPG
IMG_4125.JPG

The first castings I did were slush castings. I wasn't happy with the results....all the thin spots I had to deal with. I converted the mold to a poured mold by cutting a pour hole & some vent holes. I like the poured castings a LOT more.

I painted up the first one just using paint from the auto supply store & lowes. The metal bits are auto store Gun Metal car paint, and the tan is camouflage ultra flat paint.

This photo shows the pistol along with the shotgun in base paint. I like the shotgun's finish a LOT more. I used Testors buffable metalizer for the metal bits on the shotgun. I'll be doing a 2nd pistol (for my wife) and will use the Testors paint on that build.
pistol-and-shotgun.jpg

Here's the pistol after applying washes & drybrushing. I'm generally happy with the results, but I still think the metalizer I used on the shotgun is a more convincing finish.

final-pistol-paint.jpg

Hi JeepSoup, I know its pretty much been a decade since your post, but I was wondering if you've uploaded the 3D model for the XCOM pistol anywhere? I've decided to give 3D printing / making a costume a go and I have discovered the in-game model is very low poly. I thought id give it a shot and ask before I sink in the time attempting to learn Blender :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back