RPF Costume and Prop Maker Community

sctcarts
sctcarts
Hey Grant, sorry for such a long delay. We went with rough "12.5 as the height, and then used pictures against those measurements to try and extrapolate the rest, just lots of trial and error. Hope your project is going well!
kickman88
kickman88
Thanks! I have made some good progress considering this is the first time I have done a clay sculpture...will post up results when done...almost ready to start casting and every part of this is new to me so I am taking my time!
sctcarts
sctcarts
That's the way to go! I'm finishing a resculpt myself - after doing our limited run there were little details I wanted to finesse and change, so I spent 3 solid shop days resculpting. It's very zen, and as you get the hang of your materials, its gets more fun. What medium are you sculpting with?
kickman88
kickman88
Super Sculpey Extra Firm...saw another RPF'er using that so followed suit.
sctcarts
sctcarts
Cool. You might also try Monsterclay Medium, it's my preferred clay to sculpt in, great stuff! Best of luck on your project!
kickman88
kickman88
Ok, thanks for the tip...is it oil-based as well? Looking forward to seeing your re-sculpt as yours was the start of my inspiration!
sctcarts
sctcarts
Yes, but it also has a wax component, so it's not nearly as messy as plastacene clay. I've used many different types (sculpy, chanvant) and Monster Clay is my favorite. And whenit's cool, the medium has a great firmness to carve - very versatile stuff.
kickman88
kickman88
Awesome, thanks! Sounds like that is my next purchase! I think I remember a video where a guy melted some clay and "spritzed" it on the sculpt for texture...is that possible with this?
sctcarts
sctcarts
You can liquify it in a crock pot and scoop it out in various stages of "liquid" as it cools
kickman88
kickman88
Is Monster Clay what the guy used for the recent Vader Melted Helmet?
sctcarts
sctcarts
I'm not familiar with that project?
Back