1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

got the lower markings air brushed, paint flaked and the washed. checked all the landing gear for proper fit and clearance. Tomorrow I'll streak the lower, install that gear and the doors I've modded, then start on the landing lights. Then I suppose I'll rip the shield generators off and fit the proper looking ones that I got from Haystack on the upper and start the markings for the upper hull.

Attachments

• fmlg1.jpeg
    fmlg1.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 193
  • fmlg2.jpeg
    fmlg2.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 181
  • fmlg3.jpeg
    fmlg3.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 203
  • fmlg4.JPG
    fmlg4.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 182
Thanks my friends, long way to go yet with this one but it's coming along. I planted the gear, finished and installed the doors, and streaked the hull and put a few random rusty spots. Also got out the soldering iron and gashed the lower hull as these don't come with. I also did the docking collar while I was at it. The doors came out really well...I think

Attachments

• fmdoors1.jpeg
    fmdoors1.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 183
  • fmdoors2.jpeg
    fmdoors2.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 168
  • fmdoors3.jpeg
    fmdoors3.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 156
  • fmdoors4.jpeg
    fmdoors4.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 168
  • fmdoors5.jpeg
    fmdoors5.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 186
using some evergreen tubing for light cans, placed all in the lower hull. this time I decided since there was room for it, I'd do the two on each side of the docking collars in a larger diameter as they should be. On the PG I didn't :unsure: the two nearest the rear I had to use a couple of CHIP led's so I could clear the engine panel...we'll see if they are brighter or dimmer...
I still have the four in the center rear to do

Attachments

• fmlights1.jpeg
    fmlights1.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 162
  • fmlights2.jpeg
    fmlights2.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 157
I couldn't adapt the HH jaw panels to the FM, so I cut out the important stuff, sanded to fit and thinned the contact surface. Much better than the anemic panels in the kit. I sliced off what little was on the stock panels and stuck this stuff down. Better. Also did a marathon session with the soldering lron and hooked up everything that's in place...so far

Attachments

• fmlights3.jpeg
    fmlights3.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 174
  • fmlights4.jpeg
    fmlights4.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 144
  • fmlights5.jpeg
    fmlights5.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 156
  • fmlights6.jpeg
    fmlights6.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 166
  • fmlights7.jpeg
    fmlights7.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 176
  • fmlights8.jpeg
    fmlights8.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 150
I still remember the frustration you were undergoing adding lighting to your Bandai 1/72 X-wing way back when this particular thread started Ross ...., and now I reckon you’re swanning around amongst the best , in the echelons of light - wizardry !
Terrific work mate.(y)
Thanks Ged! I don't know about all that, but I do think my skills are improving...with the lighting anyway:lol:

So I sacked up today and cut the shield projectors I got from Haystack and fitted them to the FM, it worked out pretty good and they look WAY better than that jalopy style crap that FM puts in the kit. Since I didn't FO the gun turrets I mounted an LED in the tunnel piece for ambient light. I also didthe inner mandible panels and added some FO to the center. The instructions have you attach these to the upper hull, but I don't really see an issue with building UP, like you would an MPC. Hopefully I won't have any troubles later by doing it that way.

Attachments

• fmupper1.jpeg
    fmupper1.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 189
  • fmupper2.jpeg
    fmupper2.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 178
  • fmupper3.jpeg
    fmupper3.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 183
  • fmupper4.jpeg
    fmupper4.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 186
Actually, I don't think that's an error on the part of Fine Molds. Their Falcon is mostly patterned after the 32" Falcon, and those parts look mostly correct for that version. The green replacements are modelled after the five foot Falcon's parts.

Actually, I don't think that's an error on the part of Fine Molds. Their Falcon is mostly patterned after the 32" Falcon, and those parts look mostly correct for that version. The green replacements are modelled after the five foot Falcon's parts.

Well I guess now we know who's not paying attention to finer detail and differences, duh on me :confused: I suppose then the pieces are correct...however! LOL I much MUCH prefer the other style. Haystack, I know you've been glancing in on this from time to time, Thanks for that extra stuff you sent that time, I've made use of a good deal of it, and finally the shield projectors. Yeah, I could have scratched some, sure...but I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble and just left the jalopies on it LOL

Wow... FM sure missed the boat on that area... Great job on fixing it!

Well Nkg had the low down on that point, BUT, I'm sure glad Haystack sent me those, I probably wouldn't have scratched any, but I had the greenies and it was just a matter of cutting and shaping. My stress was getting the other ones off without jackin something up...never should have put them on, but I ran across the green ones afterwards when I was looking for something else!:lol:
Thanks for the info Nkg(y)

No worries - I mean, it all depends on what you're going for. Personally I think virtually all the greeblies on the five foot Falcon look cooler than the 32" Falcon, so...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back