1/72 Storm IV Cloud Car Resin Printed

Polygonix

I wasn't happy with the ones that were currently on the market; this one should be significantly more accurate than what is currently out there and the canopies don't take an hour to clean up, each.

This was 3D printed on my one off 3D printer that I built. This is my second scale model that I made with the first being an R2-D2 (see my other thread). Due to the continuous process there are no visible layer lines and the parts are smooth to the touch. Aside from having to sand off the nibs from the support material used in the printing process there isn't really any surface prep to speak of. My printer has roughly 10 times the resolution of a Form Labs Form 2 and as compared to Shapeways FUD is significantly more 'crisp'. They are hard to photograph and they tend to show some sort of 'moire' pattern which cannot be felt but appear in photos.

I included renderings of the 3D model that I built to print with. The panel lines look a lot wider and deeper than they should be in the renderings but I took into account the thickness of the primer so they look perfectly in scale when actually printed and primed. Its really hard to show off the detail of the prints with my not-so-great camera and the dark resin that I use. Every little detail in the renderings including all the rivets show up perfectly on the print.

I'm trying to fill in the gaps with the 1/72 Bandai models that I have since they may never make this kit. I am wrapping up a Scimitar (Sith Infiltrator) now and am pretty close to being done with the Sand Crawler and Tydirium and Jabba's Sail Barge.

Attachments

• wholething_f.jpg
    wholething_f.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 647
  • cockpitclose_f.jpg
    cockpitclose_f.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 434
  • engineclose_f.jpg
    engineclose_f.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 472
  • 34front.jpg
    34front.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 34rear.jpg
    34rear.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 382
  • cockpitRender.jpg
    cockpitRender.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 508
  • engineRender.jpg
    engineRender.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
So this is 'interesting'...apparently scaling this to what the Wiki, Star Wars Vehicles Encyclopedia, Battlefront 3D Model and the 3D official model used in the Empire Strike's Back Special Edition are not in scale with the Bandai models. I have to rescale the model and revise the pricing, it will be significantly less expensive as there is a lot less time to print and material used.

Lucas strikes again!

you write you buildt the 3d printer by yourself do you have some more infos about this buildt you can share

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back