2001: food tray

O.k...here's the two trays (one for me and one for SquidMan). Did the packets with pink foam insulation; they'll be covered with a satin white vinyl next week. Doesn't look that much now, but when everything will be done, it'll be the bomb;)

Looks amazing, joberg! Thank you so much for making me one!

I am also just writing to confirm that I'm still working on the illustrations. Hoping to have something to show you soon. We should also look into straw options.

It looks like they used I.V. line tubing (the walls of the tube are thick, unlike a regular plastic straw). One size for the main tube and then, they just cut-off a bigger size tubing to make a stopper (or ring), to keep the main straw disappearing into the packets. Some pics show all of the tubes in a same transparent "color", others show the tips+rings in a off white color.
I'll experiment with both looks.(y)

I know a lot comes down to lighting, but aren't they more turquoise than you have them?

That's a fair question, Lt Washburn, I was wondering the same thing actually. Is the more teal-ish tint in the screenshots due to a yellowish lighting in the film interacting with a bright blue tray like joberg's, or is the color really closer to a turquoisy-teal than the bright blue in joberg's replicas?

That's why I asked joberg how he sourced the paint color, whether it was from some kind of source on Pan Am products, or if he eyeballed it based on stills from the film.

I usually do my research on www.schemecolor.com. They'll have a search button (or you can go to "Brand/Companies") and you'll see the PanAm Airway logo (# 2767 AD). As mentioned before by many people on this board; you'll have to have a grey scale comparo with the real prop to have a definite idea of the color used in the movie...since we don't have that, then there's the guessing game of trying to match what you see in various pics (Blu-Ray, 4K, website, etc...) No need to say that it's frustrating: different colors show up.:confused::confused::confused:
The blue I've chose was the closest to the original PanAm blue. SquidMan, if you want me to match it to a specific pic, I'll do it, no prob. You'll have to make sure that the PanAm logo,on the right hand side of the tray, matches the color of the said tray.
The solution, of course, is to do a clear PanAm logo to make sure that the background will now matches exactly.;)

I usually do my research on www.schemecolor.com. They'll have a search button (or you can go to "Brand/Companies") and you'll see the PanAm Airway logo (# 2767 AD). As mentioned before by many people on this board; you'll have to have a grey scale comparo with the real prop to have a definite idea of the color used in the movie...since we don't have that, then there's the guessing game of trying to match what you see in various pics (Blu-Ray, 4K, website, etc...) No need to say that it's frustrating: different colors show up.:confused::confused::confused:
The blue I've chose was the closest to the original PanAm blue. SquidMan, if you want me to match it to a specific pic, I'll do it, no prob. You'll have to make sure that the PanAm logo,on the right hand side of the tray, matches the color of the said tray.
The solution, of course, is to do a clear PanAm logo to make sure that the background will now matches exactly.;)

The Pan Am logo blue seems too light/cyan to me. Comparing the hexcode #2767AD to the best view of the prop we have in the film, with the colors of the film still shifted so that the white parts of the LiquiPak packets are pure white to maintain proper white balance and therefore more easily determine the true colors of everything else, you can see that the color determined from the schemecolor website doesn't quite match:

yjSvJAo.png

(The left side is the film still, the right side is my recreation of the logo and instructions on the color you provided)

Maybe a color close to the color of the left side of this image would be a better choice? What do you think, joberg?

Also, I'm not exactly sure how it will help, but we do have a black and white image of the prop, I posted it earlier in this thread. Here it is again, let me know if it helps:

bfi-00m-kz6.jpg

And yes, regardless, I think the best way to do the Pan Am logo, as well as the rest of the lettering, is with a clear background. The only thing that I'm a little worried about is that it seems like all waterslide decals that are on a clear background do leave a very faint impression of that background on the surface, with a seam/edge visible--it's not absolutely perfect like a stencil or direct printing would be. With that in mind, would it be best to have the decal be the size and shape of the entire right side of the tray, as opposed to just the overall shape of the instructions only? Let me know if that makes sense.

Rubbing a dry transfer is tricky; might damage the paint. As you can see with my 3rd of March update, the two pics were taken the same day, with the same light: the one showing the little round pads: PanAm blue...the one flat on top of the counter...not so PanAm blue anymore and more like the pics from the movie:eek:Yep, it's all about lighting and the position of the object vis-à-vis the light source!! My other pics are done with a white cool light showing the floor as the background and making it more like #2767 AD:)
Also, as you have posted the previous pic showing the comparo between the blue of the prop and the #2767 AD side by side, you'll notice that, compared to the white background of the page, your packets are no longer white...but off-white (again, lighting is key).
As for the decal showing on the tray, I'll airbrush a matt varnish (Valejo) that is a miracle product for hiding decals(y)

I’d like to congratulate you both on a great collaborative project!
As Lt Washburn stated dry transfers are still the best for this type of project but they're expensive.
For reference an A5 sheet in a single colour costs me £70.00, so we don't use them as often as we used to.
FYI, it's unlikely you'd damage the paint surface using a burnisher, but I'd recommend never using a biro to apply the transfer!

Well, the packets are all done, covered in vinyl. Next the I.V. lines for the straw. Btw, SquidMan, I'll give you the tray (and the packets) for free;)

That's very kind of you, joberg! I really, really appreciate it, and the tray looks beautiful so far!

Here's a peek at the latest progress on the illustration recreations:

5qLn8kB.jpg

I'm going to continue working on them for a while and will send you the printable files once they're done so you'll be able to affix them to the packets!

Thought I'd give you all a small peek at how replicating the prop is going on my end:

SSbu87s.jpg

I'm currently making an extra large version so that it will fit whatever the dimensions of the tray should and will be. Pro Mod, any thoughts on sizing?
GREAT WORK! Would you happen to have a sharp higher res image of the SEABROOK logo? Thanks so much in advance, keep up the great work!!!

joberg, these look amazing! I think however that the outer "rings" of the straws might be too long, and that the straws themselves look a bit too long or too curved. What do you think? Also, I'm still working on the illustrations, I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on them but rest assured they will be done!

Also, when you will be gluing the illustrations onto the packets, is there a way you'll be making the tops of the packets flatter so that the illustrations are laying totally flat? Right now the corners of your packets are noticeably raised because of the way they were folded/glued together.

Hey Joberg, did you create your own SEABROOK logo? Wondering if anyone has some sharp reference that shows what it actually says - thanks

jim357, I worked on recreating all the illustrations, text, and logos for this project. The Seabrook logo says "SEABROOK® Farms Since 1893".

joberg, these look amazing! I think however that the outer "rings" of the straws might be too long, and that the straws themselves look a bit too long or too curved. What do you think? Also, I'm still working on the illustrations, I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on them but rest assured they will be done!

Also, when you will be gluing the illustrations onto the packets, is there a way you'll be making the tops of the packets flatter so that the illustrations are laying totally flat? Right now the corners of your packets are noticeably raised because of the way they were folded/glued together.

jim357, I worked on recreating all the illustrations, text, and logos for this project. The Seabrook logo says "SEABROOK® Farms Since 1893".
awesome thanks! Looking forward to your final product!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back