2001: food tray

When I look at the reference photos, they do like that kind of waxy-smooth cardboard that food products come in, but maybe white posterboard would give you a comparable look.

When I look at the reference photos, they do like that kind of waxy-smooth cardboard that food products come in, but maybe white posterboard would give you a comparable look.

I don't recall what they look like from the movie, but as far as poster board, you can get poster board with a dry erase surface on it from stores like Office Depot / Office Max. It's definitely glossy, but maybe too glossy.

As I mentioned in my first reply to this WIP, the packets were made to hold real semi-liqui-food in them. They were probably produced by a professional company (U.K. IMO) with a crimper machine (look at the HD pic on the first post). You'll see that each box is exactly folded the same way. It's obvious, seeing the pic again, that the label were just glued on them (see the thickness of the paper atop the packets).
I'll short the "grab" part of the straw. Problem is: the plastic tubing was rolled up tight, hence the slight bent of the straws. If anybody knows a trick to unbend those (tried the hot water with straight metal rod inserted in the tube...didn't work:confused:) please share, 'cos I don't know how I could prevent that from happening. Stay tuned, more to come.

Alrighty...better straws: straighter, shorter as well as the ring; closer to the screen-used prop (how about an acronym for those words folks: SUP...I'll leave it to you;))

cimg2622.jpg

cimg2621.jpg

cimg2620.jpg

Watched 2001 again lastnight. It was on the BBC here in the UK. Rocking back and forth in anticipation again now.

Hey joberg, I'm doing some more work on the illustrations, and had to ask, are you absolutely sure that the tops of the packets are perfect squares? I'm looking at this image below, which is the best top-view we have of the prop, and they look like they're closer to 4" (horizontal) x 3.75" (vertical) to me, rather than 4"x4". What do you think?

bfi-00m-kz6.jpg

Here's my reasoning:

Untitled-2.jpg

In this mockup, the image is 4" x 3.75". In order for the orange slice to be a perfect circle, the height of the overall image needs to be 3.75" at these proportions. If it was 4", it would be too stretched out vertically.

I'm sorry for not catching this earlier, is there any possibility that the tops of the packets versus the slanted sides were measured incorrectly?

Last edited:
Hey joberg, I'm doing some more work on the illustrations, and had to ask, are you absolutely sure that the tops of the packets are perfect squares? I'm looking at this image below, which is the best top-view we have of the prop, and they look like they're closer to 4" (horizontal) x 3.75" (vertical) to me, rather than 4"x4". What do you think?

View attachment 1016032

Here's my reasoning:

View attachment 1016034

In this mockup, the image is 4" x 3.75". In order for the orange slice to be a perfect circle, the height of the overall image needs to be 3.75" at these proportions. If it was 4", it would be too stretched out vertically.

I'm sorry for not catching this earlier, is there any possibility that the tops of the packets versus the slanted sides were measured incorrectly?

It's possible that this photo is not flat on to the boxes, which would cause foreshortening of the image. It's hard to tell how much the boxes are tilted off the plane of the tray from the shadows on the left side of the image. Also the back side of the tray is visible, which implies that the photo was taken slightly off angle from that side.
I'm not sure how much those factors might be effecting the apparent dimensions, but they could be a factor.

SquidMan, I can understand your concern (thought of that before, btw)...but as Duncanator said and I agree with him, is that the photo is not "dead-on" in the middle (and even then, it could cause some funky measurements). I did my research with fruit packets/juice packets/milk packets of the '60s, U.K. and the industry measurements were pretty standard (the 4"X4") to fit in distribution machines.

The 2 food trays are ready to receive their labels...waiting for our friend SquidMan;)

Amazing! Sorry for the delays, but I only have two label illustrations left to finish, the fruit and the corn ones. Here's how the rest look:

tray.jpg

The fish took a long time to get exactly right. :)

Late again - sorry!
I was watching 'Moon Zero Two' (1969), which as far as I know is not available on Blu Ray, and the food boxes are reused. They disguise it by using them upright, and trying not to show the paper label, but it shows more of how the boxes are constructed.

Jim

Attachments

• screenshot347.jpg
    screenshot347.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 258
  • screenshot349.jpg
    screenshot349.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 287
  • screenshot235.jpg
    screenshot235.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 290
  • screenshot413.jpg
    screenshot413.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 283
  • screenshot406.jpg
    screenshot406.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
SquidMan: labels are looking very good! Great work on those(y)(y)
portland 182: thanks for those pics...or not:D Now that those are built for that project, I will not change them, since you don't see the details of the construction while they're resting inside the tray. Maybe next time;)

Hey joberg, and everyone else,

Sorry that I have been away for so long, I had to renovate my apartment over this past month, but I am now returning to working on these labels and you can expect to see the finished set sometime this week or weekend. Thanks so much for your patience!

SquidMan...how dare you renovate your apt. without my permi...kidding of course:p:D Real life takes precedence over our hobby. Cannot wait, of course, to apply your wonderful labels on the boxes.

SquidMan...how dare you renovate your apt. without my permi...kidding of course:p:D Real life takes precedence over our hobby. Cannot wait, of course, to apply your wonderful labels on the boxes.

I realize that I'm now over a week late delivering these, so thanks again for your patience, but in the meantime I was able to get my hands on some more 4K screenshots of the tray illustrations and have been making little tweaks and fixes to make sure the recreations are as close to accurate as possible (I was previously using mostly Blu-ray screenshots, which are comparatively blurrier).

I also now realize that the instructions I recreated earlier are a little squashed, as I was going off a screenshot that was angled, and so the Pan Am globe logo should be a perfect circle rather than the oval I made before. I'll be fixing that and sending it to you, joberg, along with the illustrations in high resolution by sometime next week (for real this time! haha)

Hi everyone!

Thanks again for your patience, I've finally completed all of the Liquipak label illustrations!

joberg, PM me your email address and I'll send you the high resolution files of these illustrations and the "Pan Am Instructions" text for the tray. By the way, could you tell me the exact size of the "wing" of the tray on which the instructions will be appearing? Let me know so that I can make sure to size the instructions correctly for you.

As far as I can tell, these illustrations should be printed on glossy white photo paper. Just make sure to use one that maintains the color integrity of my files when printed, I've used some glossy papers in the past on which prints looked darker than they should have.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back