Abandoned Project Exchange: your gorilla in the room

I think it is a cool idea!

Even just posting images of stalled projects, others may want to take up or get good suggestions that might inspired you to finish them.

How do you propose "swapping" project?:unsure:
Do we sent the piece (model/prop/costume, etc) to the appropriate person (cost)?
Do we pay said person for his/her time, material, etc (cost)?

--1:18 Jurassic Park Explore
--Resin case Jurassic Park walkie-talkie
--ANH Obi-was resin saber
--Ertl Enterprise D
--USS Shinzhou
--Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar
--Mandalorian pistol
--Mandalorian nerf rifle conversion
--Aliens Pulse Rifle Nerf conversion
--Blade Runner Blaster water pistol conversion
--1:200 scale 747 Airport 1975 model
--Weathering a Hasbro Ghostbusters wand

And this is just here where I am; not including stalled projects in CA

Last edited:
--Ertl Enterprise D
--USS Shinzhou
--Mandalorian pistol

I'll take on that Explorer.

For this years truck or treat, I plan to do the the scene where the T-rex has already broken out and Grant is waving the flare at it.
I have that little 1:32 scale Explorer, and then the old JP toy thats not super accurate. But also have the Grant and Malcom figures, which I need to dig out and make sure they are in good shape.
I don't want to destroy the smaller one, but thinking I can have it flipped upside down, maybe even raise op the ground, so the explorer is under a little, to give it an appearance of it having been crushed already. As well as farther back for a bit of a force perspective.
Only a a3 hour event with kids and their parents, so doesn't need to be super accurate anyways, but you know.....still always do the best I can.

--Ertl Enterprise D
--USS Shinzhou
--Mandalorian pistol

Found them.
Basic test layout.
Maybe I can just get another Jada Explorer to wreck. It's like $12.
Knowing I have to get it done by Halloween timeframe helps actually get it done, so it doesn't just become another abandoned project.
1000017939.jpg

And the main toys and car, all from 1993.
These have gone through many many stop-motions in the past. I actually just cleaned Malcom off, as he was still covered in red clay "blood" from dying in a stop-motion from 20 years ago.
1000017940.jpg

Mmmh...seems o.k. for small projects (cost of sending):unsure: As far as cost is concerned, you would have to pay for some of the material/work that's already done (to be discussed with the original builder/owner);)
I was thinking the same thing. However, any project worth saving is likely to get the attention of someone really dedicated to finishing it.

I like this idea, myself. It's like putting your model up for adoption; you know you can't give it the love and time it deserves, so you offer it up to someone who can and then you might actually see something you wanted to bring into the world in the first place actually get finished. Also, in some cases you might have stalled because you lacked a skill that you need which you didn't foresee needing, and another person might have the skills needed to finish your project.

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty fun idea! I can see it working kind of like a "hobby swap meet." You post up your half-finished project with a little description of where you left off, maybe why you lost steam, and what you're looking to trade for. Someone else does the same, and if both parties are interested, you swap projects and see if a fresh perspective can breathe new life into them. It could be a cool way to get inspired again or even learn new techniques by finishing something someone else started. Plus, you’re not just letting your unfinished work gather dust—it gets a second chance. Good luck!

Back