Advice Needed: Foam board glue?

basics

Just looking for some advice from more experiened costume makers. What is a good type of glue to look for to glue together some foam mat cutouts for fake armour etc?

Barge contact cement which you can get at Tandy's Leather...hideously expensive. Choice 2: Wildwood contact cement made by DAP which you can get at Home Depot much cheaper...drawback, you need to do a thin coat on each piece and let it almost dry, same as Barge but to get it to adhere really well you should do that twice before sticking your pieces together but it does work and is much cheaper and easier to find. Third choice, hot glue.

I use hot glue (not the hobby type glue guns, the larger DIY ones). I've also taken to getting a hot soldering iron and running it carefully down the seams and "welding" it together for extra strength. Make sure though though that unless you have an organic style, you're best doing this on the underside where nobody will see.

I really like that idea to 'weld' the seams. I am definitely going to give that a go.

I am doing it with someone else and so we have a good chance to try out a couple of different methods and see how well they work.
I may post up some updates

I really like that idea to 'weld' the seams. I am definitely going to give that a go.

I am doing it with someone else and so we have a good chance to try out a couple of different methods and see how well they work.
I may post up some updates

Well I've just started doing that with my Xeno costume and it seems to be working! I use it as WELL as the hot glue gun as it also melts any excess glue and you can spread it around. As I said though, the finish of it is best to do on any undersides. Oh, and use an old soldering iron!! Also, before painting, you might want to try using a heat gun to seal the foam - gently though as it may cause the foam to curl up. Practise on scrap bits as always lol! Good luck and we need pictures of your build!!!!
:D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back