Advice sought, anyone in contact with REL aka Richard Long

In my experience dumping on someone is rarely productive in any way. Richard owes me nothing, so I have no side in this at all past I believe Richard when he says he wants to make right all his debts... I base this on dealings I've had with him before he got buried in jobs and projects. Its a hard thing to say "no" I can't do that now, when somebody presents you with a really cool project. but at some point you really do have to say - nope can't do that right now and accept that you're gonna miss out. a desire to please can be your worst enemy.

That being said you can't just let people walk over you. if he owes stuff he owes stuff - and I think he's already taken the arrows for it... more piling on does nobody any good especially if he's making the attempt to correct things.

I sincerely hope that he settles his dealings satisfactorily, and decides to stick around... he's a talent that would be sorely missed IMHO.

Jedi Dade

When your greed gets bigger than your talent ,your talent is never going to be big enough.......
it's not going to be able to impress the people you owe anymore at some point, this is what
happened here.

I don’t know that it’s greed, exactly, nor am I saying I know it it isn’t — I don’t know and cannot know. As with Jedi Dade, I haven’t had any dealings with REL, though I likely would have eagerly sent him money for the SS K’tinga and the Defiant if I’d had a prayer of being able to afford it. My experience with him over the years has been limited to a couple bouts of gushing over some of the jaw-dropping things he created or (as it turns out) he got created.

The reason I say it might not be greed (or not just that) is that I sometimes get over-extended doing what I do well enough to be paid for it — graphic design and photography — but it typically happens when I’m doing stuff for free. In the majority of cases, I become aware of a need and volunteer my services. I’m doing things I want to do, and 90 percent of the time I’m not getting paid. Unfortunately, even with 20 years of experience and having well-earned knowledge that “under-promise and over-deliver” is the way to go, I am still sometimes guilty of the reverse. I tend to think of a job in terms of how long the actual work will take. In the heat of eagerness, I tend to forget that things rarely go smoothly and that problems will have to be solved with the job itself. Also, life gets in the way and I also need downtime (many design problems are solved away from the computer while I am doing something else), and I have a wife and two little boys who need and deserve my attention. I can usually manage this at my actual job, but only after much effort and experience as a guide. Away from work, it is tougher. And this extends to hobbies as well — I’ve got so many partially-completed models!

I’m definitely not a businessman, and I no longer beat myself up over that. It doesn’t mean I don’t have valuable contributions I can make, or that I’m not talented or intelligent, but no one can do everything no matter how talented and/or intelligent they might be. There’s no question that Richard has talent. Some others may have created all or part of the things he presented as his work, but it certainly appears to be true that some of it was his own work. In any event, the things he presented were uniformly fantastic to my eyes and definitely worthy of purchase for those who could afford them. Perhaps what Richard needs is a partner or partners who can recognize the things he does well and help him manage the rest. I gather his wife was doing some of that, but her possibly being better than he is at that doesn’t mean she could do it all well enough to keep things running smoothly. I’m just saying that he has talent — not just for getting things built, but he also clearly had the ability to find and recognize others with the talent to do things at a high level as well. That’s a talent not everyone has — finding talent and harnessing it is a rare skill in and of itself (it’s one of the things that made Walt Disney such a genius, if I may offer a rarefied example). Going off nothing more than reading these threads, it seems Richard was good at recognizing talent and harnessing it, but the financials and managing time were much more of a challenge and that this was made worse by his apparent desire to make people think he could do it all himself. It just seems that there must be a way to hook the right people together with him and actually get things done, get himself and potential partners paid, get his customers the things that so excited them and made them throw their money at him, and everyone walk away happy. I have no idea who those people are, of course, I just know they must walk the planet. It would be shame if, in the end, Richard’s undeniable talents and abilities are squandered and customers are angered and everyone throws one another under the bus and no one is happy. It is certainly difficult to mend a reputation, but unlike some, Richard at least showed us things. I think most of us believe that, regardless of whether he did all the things he showed himself or he farmed some or all of it out to others, the things he showed us were real and they could be delivered under the right circumstances. I know that until I saw the things he offered, I didn’t even know it was possible for someone to make models at such a high level outside people working at such places as ILM. I hope he is able to right the ship. I believe people can change they way they do things and find a way to make things work for them. I hope he can do that, and find the right people to work with if that is, in fact, what he needs. I’d like to see more of the brilliant work he presented, and go back to just wishing I could afford to buy any of it. It would be a shame for all that ability to go to waste. Just my opinion I’ve formed over the last few months after learning that there were problems in the first place. I hope it is received by all parties in the same spirit it was intended.

Qapla’

SSB

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also a client of REL who has is owed dollars, or a build.

This history of this convoluted transaction has gone through some changes through the last five years, as the commission did not come to fruition based on the original agreement. But, here is the latest status. Again, this goes back five years...

$500.00 deposit for the buildup of a 1/537 K'tinga ship, as the 'Quonos One'.

As with others, the promise of the completed build continues with each inquiry from me. However, I've yet to see either the buildup, or a refund. What a shame..

Captain Finney

I haven't heard from Richard recently. Good luck with getting what you are owed. Try to keep emailing him about the situation. That's what I try to do to stay current with him. I've got to send another today and will hopefully get a reply.

Last edited:
The message above was conveyed to Richard and I got a response to that and an updated payment schedule. It's still a ways off, but things look up. Send him an email. I'm sure he'll get back to you right away.

PM me if you need the email address.

Last edited:
^ same I think it will take a while. but at least I've gotten the kits back and that's a good start.

have not seen the payment plan though. wonder if it's one with all names on it?

james.

While I doubt Mr. Long planned on fleecing folks from the git-go, I've got to say; he's been 'trying' to honor my transaction with him for over five years. Ain't gonna happen. I'm out a substantial amount of dough, and have been made more promises by him to make things right than I can count. I tip my hat to those who continue to pursue Richard Long with their 'hat in hand' in hopes that he honors your respective transactions. As for monies owed to me, Richard can do what he wants with it; keep it, pay off debts owed to others, or choke on it for all I care. Assuming that Richard was a man of integrity, (and I do), those days are long-gone.

I don't know what all this is about. Without treading all the comments on this thread, can someone summarize what happened, please? I know Richard from his creation of the 1:350 Botany Bay prototype? What happened?

EDIT: I've read this whole thread. I am owed nothing from Richard, so I have no stake in this. In my opinion, his actions are deplorable. Talk is cheap, and that's pretty much all people have got from him. What a con man!

Last edited:
I don't know what all this is about. Without treading all the comments on this thread, can someone summarize what happened, please? I know Richard from his creation of the 1:350 Botany Bay prototype? What happened?

EDIT: I've read this whole thread. I am owed nothing from Richard, so I have no stake in this. In my opinion, his actions are deplorable. Talk is cheap, and that's pretty much all people have got from him. What a con man!

He didn't create the BB, I did, in about 4 hours. I made it much larger to go with my 66" TOS E. The model he sold was smaller than the one I designed. He asked me to print a 350 scale BB, his model came out much smaller than the one I printed for him. That happens with casting, things shrink.
It was one of his early offerings and I was promised one of his D kits in exchange. I found out later from several sources he put that model into production. Regardless of what he says I've seen too many pics of kits and build ups. He told me he sold the BB molds to some guy, I don't know if that was the same guy that owns Fantastic Plastic. Or if it went through several hands.

He did plan of fleecing me from very early on, or he would have made good on the BB deal. Since that was the first model I ever sent him at my expense.

Who knows what Long's real intentions were, I talked to him a lot. He was able to keep his stories straight but not all the time. Who knows how often he conned people through his life, I'm sure this wasn't the first time he did this. I'll bet he considered it his big score.

This hobby has a number of con men, since there isn't any way to police it. Even worse people don't talk, or change what they post. If more people would tell their stories we could at least expose some of these jerks.

One good thing, the RPF has banned most of the guys who have questionable reps in the sci-fi hobby. But that's all they can do, threads like this are the only real tool we have to combat these con men.

Its a difficult one to deal with. Richard had his friends and admirers and his builds were great , so alot of people gave him the grace beyond the paypal period. He caught me and a few others out with his RM concept X wing and it was only after we found him out when he put the kits up for sale on Starship Modeller that ALOT of other problems came to light (go read the thread). Thankfully somebody here, as always stepped up to the mark and solved the problem by doing the owed kits for him. Without him we'd have lost out, and there are a couple of guys here that are like that all the time , they genuinely help the community and make good of their promises on behalf of others. I 've only ever had one instance where I stopped a payment and that was refunded very quickly . Ever since then I've never let anyone go beyond the paypal limit and if things don't add up I'd advise anyone to hit dispute to sort it.

That is exactly right, we gave him grace because he was so respected in the community. I'm out money for an 1/650 enterprise d kit. That is now 8 years past due. I'm still missing decals, paint masks, shuttle bay doors, and the internal armature that we're all paid for. I have contacted him over the years and he always said he'd get me the items, I even asked for him to refund part of my money but he never has nor have I ever received the missing parts. I have never held my breath. It is a lesson learned. No matter who it is, contact PayPal and get your money back.

Last edited:
Just want to chime in with some good news.

ive recently had contact with Richard via email and he says he will get to the refunds but it will take time. I know many will say they've heard that to a thousand times but at least he's making the effort to communicate.

just my 2 cents.

Just want to chime in with some good news.

ive recently had contact with Richard via email and he says he will get to the refunds but it will take time. I know many will say they've heard that to a thousand times but at least he's making the effort to communicate.

just my 2 cents.

And after all these years, I can't believe that you believe him. How many years has it been, and how much more time does he need, and how many people has he "squirreled" over! Are you kidding? This is a PATTERN! Sorry to sound so harsh, but c'mon, man!

Last edited:
And after all these years, I can't believe that you believe him. Sorry to sound so harsh, bur c'mon, man!

I'm not planning my expenses based on that but I thought I would share that. intent to make good =\= to making good. I get that. :) but I would like to see him make good for his own sake.

That is exactly right, we gave him grace because he was so respected in the community. I'm out money for an 1/650 enterprise d kit. That is now 8 years past due. I'm still missing decals, paint masks, shuttle bay doors, and the internal armature that we're all paid for. I have contacted him over the years and he always said he'd get me the items, I even asked for him to refund part of my money but he never has nor have I ever received the missing parts. I have never held my breath. It is a lesson learned. No matter who it is, contact PayPal and get your money back.

Hes made a reappearance over here with this commissioned build ; http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=75719. There is no denying his talent but his behaviour has possibly damaged a lot of things for him. I suspect he may be trying to make amends with people ,given the demand for studio scale modellers by certain parties. BUT good businesses don't like to associate with bad ones, it tarnishes their reputations. Any employer will look on somebody who takes payment for work, fails to deliver within the expected timetable and guidelines, and who then breaks all contact with them as potentially unemployable. Contracts are made to be fulfilled and breaking them does NOT endear people to further potential employment. Its the day of the internet and people know people and who can then read the threads, If he has any sense he should complete what he owes or pay it back but if it runs into thousands of dollars worth of work then it may be difficult. Its a shame, but its the truth, there are people here who deserve exactly what they get.

There is no denying his talent but his behaviour has possibly damaged a lot of things for him.

I don't know Richard, and he owes me nothing. But from what I have read about him, I have serious doubts he had very much to do with the ship he's displaying, other than have someone else make the master.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back