Interest Aluminum collapsible batarangs based on Arkham game series

godproject

I am a machinist by trade, and pretty damn good with Solid-works and mechanical design if I do say so myself. I have been working on getting my own CNC machine up and running and have recently done so. I showed these off about a year ago and now have the means to make them. I wanted to gauge interest in the community, and see if anyone would be interested. I am also considering doing a run of bases to display the piece. I'm not ready to show the base design yet, as it isn't finalized, but I can show the batarang itself. It is a rendering as I haven't made it yet. I will be making these out of aluminum. I haven't decided on a grade yet. Probably in the 4010 to 5052 range.

This is the unit completely assembled.

complete batarang.JPG

It is made of 8 individual parts. All main parts will be machined aluminum. There are a couple off the shelf parts in a compression spring to hold the body taut when extended and a bolt to hold the parts together. I am asking $80.00 for each.

I will be selling these as two separate kits. One will be an assembled kit of the finished batarang with a guide to its disassembly. The other would be a kit with the batarang and a themed base of my design. I am just gauging interest in the batarang as of now and will show a completed piece soon. I just wanted to post this here to whet the appetite.

Here is a breakdown of all pieces I will be making...

parts view batarang.JPG

parts view iso batarang.JPG

Also, if there is enough interest, I may offer an anodized black version as well. Thanks for checking this out.

It would be an ESTIMATED added $25.00 USD to ship to the UK. That's the quote I got from the US Postal Service. I need you post code for a quote from UPS or FEDEX.

andyp said:
From the pics in the thread, it looks like it has a dark greyish colouring to the aluminium. Is that right or is it bright and silvery?

They will be bright and silvery as it is just polished aluminum. I am searching for a company that could anodize them for a good price , but as of now I am not offering that. You could have them anodized yourself after you receive them of course. Thank you.

Okay, so I did a test run of the batarang last night in MDF. It's just one side, and I'll be using a ball end mill to get smoother surfaces, but it gives an idea of how these things will look when they come off the machine. I also got aluminum to do four complete test pieces. I'll do those, and finish them up and start selling them.

mdf batarang.jpg

I just want to go ahead and post a disclaimer that these WILL BE SHARP and are dangerous. They are comparable to a throwing knife. I will not be responsible for injury incurred by oneself or to others by misuse of the weapon.

I just want to go ahead and post a disclaimer that these WILL BE SHARP and are dangerous. They are comparable to a throwing knife. I will not be responsible for injury incurred by oneself or to others by misuse of the weapon.

Worth noting. If either of the blades on these are 3" or more in length, then it will be classed as an illegal weapon in the United Kingdom. With the spring loaded action, they may be illegal in the UK anyway, as it could be classed as a switchblade. Which are illegal over here. If these are indeed sharp, like a throwing knife, then I will have to cancel my interest. Sorry.

any updates on these? I'd be interested in silver but more interested in a black of some kind......

Dave

Myself and a friend of mine will be looking for one of these each.. Will have to see price closer to the time but please put me down for two of these.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back