An Unexpected Journey. Another Tie Bomber Build Thread.

mjhenks

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Studio Scale is addictive... I had every intention that my next would be a Tie fighter. I was patiently waiting in line for Stormy Sea Paint to become available and have a few version of Koolshade in hand ready to go. (Casting of original and the new stuff.)

I just finished my Snow Speeder and my plan was to start the Tie right aft...

squirel.png

(What followed was a quick and i am sure not unique conversation in my head that went like this...)

What is that over there... Interesting...

Stop it. Wait. You already have a plan.....

But it is fun looking... Shinny.... Cool...

No. Your building a Tie Fighter. You are all ready to go...

We don't need no stinking Tie Fighter. So pedestrian. So common. What we need is a Tie Bomber!

But...but....bu.......

heheeeeee.

Bret's great build got my attention. I am totally fine using a mix of original, cast & 3D printed parts as my budget allows.

So without trying to upstage Bret here i go... but at a much slower pace.

Since the journey was not expected how did i get there?

I like building things and therefor have things to build things. While finishing my Snow Speeder i began to read another builders Tie Bomber adventure. The body of the TB has lots of scribe lines which as i am finding out can be a pain to map and scribe and that got my attention.

The main body has a set of 12 full diameter lines. The discussion was how to do those lines to keep them even and consistent. A lathe is the perfect tool. I though i would give that part of the build a try to see what the results would be.

Like anything some trial and error was needed. How to hold the body tube, what depth and pitch of each line and how to keep things concentric.

Plastruct tubing is not round or the same thickness all around. :) At first i just chucked the tube into the lathe but soon found how bad the plastic is. Super wonky relative to the small, shallow groove i was after. My second approach was to turn a tight fitting mandrel for my lathe, slide the tube on the mandrel to hold the round shape and tape in in place. That worked.

Thru trial and error i made the first sample tube lines and sent them off for review.

IMG_2768.jpeg

We did both sides of the tube because we were not sure the depth, width and pitch. (and you can see a mistake on the first groove but it also illustrates the width testing)

You can also see at the very bottom the partial cut indicating the wonkyness of the tube. You have to accommodate that to use this method.

IMG_2774.jpeg

An that is how a journey begins.

Last edited:
Based on the test pieces, looking at images and collaboration i sent the samples in the past post off for review to another builder. Once reviewed and some adjustments were made i went ahead and made a final set for that builder. They turned out very nice.

IMG_2798.jpeg

At this point i was not thinking i would build my own for real but while your set-up to make one set you might as well make another set for yourself

IMG_3018.jpeg

And while you there, why not grab a piece of 3/4" aluminum, set up a V-block in the mill and put some holes in there.

IMG_3082.jpeg

Pretty i guess. Looks like it could be the makings of a TB or just another piece of parts that will clutter up my garage.

IMG_3083.jpeg

Past this point i would need to be committed. What does committed cost? I don't know but i better find out.

Off to the map room...

tie_bomber.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you. I am doing a little catch-up right now so very fast here i will slow down...

Next up was the center block. Using the map and other info i scaled out the size using the 2" tube as my known measurement. Hard to find straight on shots that had enough to scale from but i managed.

For those reading this post 6 months from now read the entire entry... (foreshadowing...)

IMG_3131.jpeg

Square things up. Drill some holes, fit the main rod...

IMG_3123.jpeg

Machine the other side.

IMG_3124.jpeg

Test fit to see what mods are needed from the tubes and...

IMG_3122.jpeg

About this time i realized i needed to phone a friend as something was off.

I sort of knew going in that i had made some assumptions in my measurements and not till this point do they jump out and scream.... STOP!

Bottom line my block was too long, my 3/4" hole too far forward & the step at the bottom all wrong... Back to the drawing board.

BTW. What size thread did ILM use for their armatures? 1/2"-13? 5/16"-18? 1/4"-20?

Last edited:
Need some part ID help please.

Purple piece. I think it is Tamiya 1:700 Scharnhorst A11

Tan piece. I think it’s Tamiya 1:700 Shinano. Not sure part number.

IMG_3459.jpeg

Tan parts. I think both are the same andAlso the unknown Shinano part. Think I need 2 total.

IMG_3461.jpeg

Pink. I think it’s Tamiya 20mm flak 38 part F17

Brown. I think it’s Tamiya 1:700 Yamato part A36

IMG_3462.jpeg

Grey. I think it’s Tamiya 1:700 Junyo? Not sure the part number.

IMG_3463.jpeg

These and the following are my needed parts
2x Hasehawa Leopold #A7
3x Tamiya Junyo #40

IMG_3464.jpeg

My eyes are getting old…

Need some part ID help please.

Purple piece. I think it is Tamiya 1:700 Scharnhorst A11

Tan piece. I think it’s Tamiya 1:700 Shinano. Not sure part number.

View attachment 1834886

Tan parts. I think both are the same andAlso the unknown Shinano part. Think I need 2 total.

View attachment 1834887

Pink. I think it’s Tamiya 20mm flak 38 part F17

Brown. I think it’s Tamiya 1:700 Yamato part A36

View attachment 1834888

Grey. I think it’s Tamiya 1:700 Junyo? Not sure the part number.

View attachment 1834889

These and the following are my needed parts
2x Hasehawa Leopold #A7
3x Tamiya Junyo #40

View attachment 1834890

My eyes are getting old…
The purple part is A11 from the Scharnhorst.

The dark tan parts are #29 from the Shinano -- but it has to be the OLD tooling of the kit, not the new one. You need 3 total for the build, and I think 6 come in the kit, so I've got 3 extras if you need them.

The pink part is J8 from the German 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51.
You are correct on the Yamato part -- also old tooling.

Also correct on the Junyo parts, #40, on the wings -- you need them on both wings, but the port side wing also needs part 68 x4

You'll also need 2 of the same part off a Airfix/MPC Stuka, so if you end up needing those, I can help there, too (4 in a kit, need two for the build).

Have you seen this with the kit parts on from www.scifikitbash.com/
They parts map is based on photos and has part numbers on it.
Well worth a cross ref.
Thank you. I was looking for that web site and not finding it.

The purple part is A11 from the Scharnhorst.

The dark tan parts are #29 from the Shinano -- but it has to be the OLD tooling of the kit, not the new one. You need 3 total for the build, and I think 6 come in the kit, so I've got 3 extras if you need them.

The pink part is J8 from the German 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51.
You are correct on the Yamato part -- also old tooling.

Also correct on the Junyo parts, #40, on the wings -- you need them on both wings, but the port side wing also needs part 68 x4

You'll also need 2 of the same part off a Airfix/MPC Stuka, so if you end up needing those, I can help there, too (4 in a kit, need two for the build).
Thank you. Old vs. New tooling. hmm... That makes it interesting...

I am watching all of these builds and loving it.
Following quite a few on FB
I have most of the kits ready to collect. What I cant work out from the parts maps is which ones I need multiple sets of. I have about 7 Morser Karls and loads of 20mm Flakvierlings from other builds but what other kits do I need more than one of? The outside wing Junyo pieces for example? is that 4 kits for 4 parts?
Can anyone help please?
Thanks

What I cant work out from the parts maps is which ones I need multiple sets of. I have about 7 Morser Karls and loads of 20mm Flakvierlings from other builds but what other kits do I need more than one of? The outside wing Junyo pieces for example? is that 4 kits for 4 parts?
Can anyone help please?
Thanks
You do need 4 Junyos, as that one part is used 4x over. From what I have seen and figured out, these are all the kits you need. Hope this helps.

ManufacturerScaleKit NameQty
Airfix/MPC1/24JU87 German Stuka Dive Bomber1
Airfix1/144Apollo Saturn V2
Airfix1/24Hawker Harrier AV 8AGr2
ESCI1/35SD. KFZ. 10/41
Hasegawa1/72Leopold German Railway Gun K5(E)5
Hasegawa1/72Morser Karl German 60cm on Railway Carrier5
MPC1/32Darth Vader Tie Figher2
Tamiya1/35German 20mm Flakvierling 38 MIT Sd.Ah.52 (quad gun)4
Tamiya1/35German 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.511
Tamiya1/35German 88mm gun flak 36/371
Tamiya1/35British 25PDR Field Gun1
Tamiya1/35Hanomag Sd.Kfz. 251/14
Tamiya1/35M3 Lee Middle Tank1
Tamiya1/700Scharnhorst1
Tamiya1/700British Battleship HMS Prince of Wales4
Tamiya1/700British Battleship HMS Rodney2
Tamiya1/700Japanese Aircraft Carrier Shinano (original)1
Tamiya1/700Japanese Battleship Yamato (Original)1
Tamiya1/700Japanese Carrier Junyo4

If you want a breakdown of specific part numbers and how many you need from within each kit, let me know and I can send that your way, too.

You do need 4 Junyos, as that one part is used 4x over. From what I have seen and figured out, these are all the kits you need. Hope this helps.

ManufacturerScaleKit NameQty
Airfix/MPC1/24JU87 German Stuka Dive Bomber1
Airfix1/144Apollo Saturn V2
Airfix1/24Hawker Harrier AV 8AGr2
ESCI1/35SD. KFZ. 10/41
Hasegawa1/72Leopold German Railway Gun K5(E)5
Hasegawa1/72Morser Karl German 60cm on Railway Carrier5
MPC1/32Darth Vader Tie Figher2
Tamiya1/35German 20mm Flakvierling 38 MIT Sd.Ah.52 (quad gun)4
Tamiya1/35German 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.511
Tamiya1/35German 88mm gun flak 36/371
Tamiya1/35British 25PDR Field Gun1
Tamiya1/35Hanomag Sd.Kfz. 251/14
Tamiya1/35M3 Lee Middle Tank1
Tamiya1/700Scharnhorst1
Tamiya1/700British Battleship HMS Prince of Wales4
Tamiya1/700British Battleship HMS Rodney2
Tamiya1/700Japanese Aircraft Carrier Shinano (original)1
Tamiya1/700Japanese Battleship Yamato (Original)1
Tamiya1/700Japanese Carrier Junyo4

If you want a breakdown of specific part numbers and how many you need from within each kit, let me know and I can send that your way, too.
Where is the esci part used please. I had no idea this was a donor.

Back