Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

so freaking cool!!!!! never even realized the body could short it out. *facepalm

the rod and motor set-up look very professional.

Thanks Tom. Really appreciate it, can’t say it’s professional. I’ve just been fooling around with this for a long time

Gone threw many different versions. Even a aluminum drive shaft, carbon drive shaft...

Last night I was showing trent me new bushing setup, changed a few things around

Saturday can’t come soon enough...

Jedi WeedWacker!

It’s loud as hell, need to tweak the speed controller

With the blade on it spins slower and more accurate and with that it is much quieter

IMG_7637.jpg

I used A14 for the first time yesterday. Wow that stuff is powerful! You really have to work to get that stuff off, it really works itself into the metal and fast. I used the 3:1 ration and boy does it bubble away after 3 seconds. I had been using Aluminum Black you can leave it in there for up to 10 seconds and it’s very forgiving.

My process for Alu Black after dipping it in water was to heat the hilt so the solution was a dry powder and it easily flakes off when you go over with the wire wool. A14 seems to bake it on if you heat it after, it was really hard to get off.

I take it you wouldn’t recommend heating the hilt after the chemical bath?

I only add heat the first dip. And the parts are only warm to the touch.

The reason for adding the heat is to chase the moisture out of the part

I have done this all my life when painting

I always wiped it down with a rag after the acid dip.

During the summer the sun dries it up for me, winter is another problem.. I’m constantly cleaning with a rag. You don’t want water falling into the carbonate chamber because it will delute the 3:1 ratio

I have finished mine. I got off to a rocky start (thanks Starkiller for the bail-out) but am pleased with the results. This kit was amazing, and the Halliwax videos, and Trooper Trent's stencils made it a blast to do!! This project was a great time seeing the community pull together with so much info and help.

The flash and lighting make the ring weathering appear to brown, I may address it at a later date after I have lived with it for a while.

20190202_122230.jpg
20190202_122127.jpg
20190202_122209.jpg
20190202_122244.jpg

Last edited:
big thumbs up there buddy! she looks great!! if you want you can lightly file the top of the cone knob. seems that she isn't that sharp anymore. but its totally up to you.

Thank you, sir! My poor little V2 has been waiting patiently! Sure, I could have done my own thing, but I really wanted to wait and see what arcane and amazing tips that the Master of V2s would provide!

Your very welcome! But the only master I am of is debating ;)

Sorry it took so long to get out, it’s been a rough week. I was sick during some filming and you can hear the difference in my voice

Just take your time and you’ll be a-ok

I’m done with my job site tomorrow morning. One night this week I’m gonna do a quick little video of aging the trooper trent gaffers tape, and adding fishing line.. and sadly it’s the end of V2 coverage...

I think I covered all the bases with it.. moving onto a holiday special tutorial next

AAAAHHHHHH!

My V2 is finally done! Finally scratched that clamp itch!

I’ll get some photos when there’s daylight! Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

And I’ll be right on top of that HOLIDAY SPECIAL saber with ya, Halliwax! We’re going from a Holy Grail saber with the V2 to...not so much.

Great! Holiday special is much easier to make!

I just want to run over a few more things with trent so I can explain his instructions perfectly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back