Animatronic Horus helmet- here we go again!

Well I'm only responsible for the mechanical part of this project. I can't wait to see this thing after it gets finished up with an amazing paint job. I'm a little disappointed I won't be able to see it in person when it's finally completed!

Well I'm only responsible for the mechanical part of this project.

And that's exactly what makes this project so incredible. It's quite a task to put so much mechanical stuff inside such a small room but you absolutely nailed it.

After I saw you replied to this thread I assumed I'm going to see a video with the moving head... I'm quite disappointed now :lol :D

......soon.

And that's exactly what makes this project so incredible. It's quite a task to put so much mechanical stuff inside such a small room but you absolutely nailed it.

After I saw you replied to this thread I assumed I'm going to see a video with the moving head... I'm quite disappointed now :lol :D

And it's finished! Got both of the fan mechanisms installed yesterday- really tricky to get them aligned properly. I also changed the way the head shell mounts to the head mechanism. I'll shoot a build video this weekend that shows all of the movements and how it all works.

HorusFinished_zpsszscenti.png

Thanks guys! It's been a real journey building this and it's great to work with someone so talented. When I first began I thought to myself "whatever you do, don't screw up these beautiful fiberglass castings."

As it turns out I wasn't quite done. After getting everything together I realized the head needed to move up and back, which meant I had to machine a new neck pivot and then adjust the control rod length. Here's the new neck pivot assembly.

IMG_3336_zpsikr3ru9a.jpg

The really fun part was the caps for the fan mechanisms- once I hollowed them out they didn't fit- doh! I thought I took really careful measurements but close wasn't close enough so I had to make new linkage parts so I could get the caps to fit properly. I also had to add the the little brass sliding tabs that cover the open gap as the fans rotate- just like on the original movie helmets.

IMG_3351_zpsv11msqdn.jpg

Now the caps fit properly. They're held in place with magnets and a round socket that fits over the fan mech pivot retaining collar so they can be easily removed if any repairs should ever need to be done.

IMG_3350_zpsb4dqpwab.jpg

IMG_3349_zpsjgj7dosb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is freaking epic. Absolutely beautiful job mate.

The stargate helmets are one of my dream to own items. My hat is off to you.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back