Are wested jackets waterproof?

Rusty85

Sr Member
I've found a bunch of different answers to this question, does anyone know if these won't get ruined in soaking, SOAKING rain? Thanks!

I think you're not supposed to wear leather jackets in the rain, in general.

Which is to say that I have, and got browbeaten for it. :lol

- k

Yeah, I know that but where I live it rains often so I want to make sure before I buy one that it'll be able to handle it.

the leather for the most part will repel the water if treated properly (Pecards is the preferred treated method on COW). Just don't wear it in a complete down pour. Leather is dyed, so there's a possibility of the dye coming off

Good, quality leather jackets will actually fit better and get broken in quicker if you're caught in a good rain. That being said, the most you can hope for with leather is that it is water resistant, which means it will bead off a light rain but if in a decent rain, you will get wet.

Yeah, I just had a leather jacket that got stolen. When it'd get soaked and I mean completely drenched I'll I'd have to do is hang it in the shower and it dried in like 20 min, completely back to normal.

A thorough soaking is one thing many owners of Westeds do to break in and as part of the weathering process.

So a soaking will not ruin the jacket (unless not looking fresh out of the box anymore is "ruining" in your eyes). But as for being water PROOF, no, get it wet enough and it will go through to your clothing.

Sorry, I guess I should have specified. I had a leather jacket I had bought from LeatherTown of whatever that place is in the mall and I happened to get soaked out in the rain. Well, after that the jacket got all wrinkled looking and never returned to normal. I was just meaning that this wont happen to the wested's will it? I doubt so if you said you soaked yours...

Actually I haven't done it to mine.

But from pics I've see of others', it does actually add some wrinkling. I guess it depends on what you think of as "normal". It isn't going to go back to exactly the way it looked before, no.

What you want is the horsehide from Wested! That stuff is so repellent to everything, that it doesn't even take Pecards:thumbsup Also horsehide becomes softer from rain and wear and thereby more s.a..

If you want a perfectly s.a. Raiders jacket, you can tell Peter to make it according to my specs., as we've been working on recreating THE jacket for a several months and the outcome truly ended my quest for the perfect Raiders jacket.

Regards,

Marc

Depends on the Leather. Most leathers are not water-proof but water-resisitant.

I have a G-2 flight Jacket that I have worn in torrential down-pours for hours at a time and no water came through.

It took 4 days to dry out but it looked as new as the day I got it.

the leather for the most part will repel the water if treated properly (Pecards is the preferred treated method on COW). Just don't wear it in a complete down pour. Leather is dyed, so there's a possibility of the dye coming off

Pecards is the secret. :thumbsup It also helped darken a bit the pre-distressed jacket I bought.
But it wont last forever and you need to retreat it again eventually.

i have a wested X1 wolverine jacket and i have gotten it soaked due to rain, and nothing bad came from it. I have also read that when that happens you should wear the jacket until it dries some, to help it "mold" to your body. so if anything it should help out some, but DO NOT attempt to dry the jacket, just let it air dry.
i wrote wested and asked them if there was anything i needed to do as far as treatment to the jacket in case i got it wet, and the response was "its ok to wear the jacket in the rain"

oh and my jacket is made from pre-distressed Cow.

My experiences are basically the same as others have posted. I've been through HEAVY downpours in my Wested and it just needed an air drying afterwards. Still looks beautiful though :)

I think you're not supposed to wear leather jackets in the rain, in general.

Which is to say that I have, and got browbeaten for it. :lol

- k

I hear that all the time too, but I don't think it hurt the cow when she wore it in the rain. Although she did die young. A coincidence? I wonder.

The short answer is, no.

Wested jacket's are not waterproof. They are made from leather with cotton or satin linings and are not intended to be rain jackets.

Mine is the lambskin. I've had it for ten years. Walked out in the rain today and it dried just fine. When I first got it I was paranoid about it getting water spots, but it never has.

John

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back