Ark of the Covenant 3D Solidworks model update

jvasilatos

Sr Member
After three months of waiting patiently, even after he has been paid in advance for his work, I am ready to pull the plug on the Solidworks modeler I hired here in town to help me model my ark legs, lid edges and railings. The guy is not dependable, has made promises for the past two month he'll finish the job, but keeps putting it on the back burner because now other "better paying work" has been keeping him busy. He has not finished the detail work on these parts so that I can have them prototyped for molding, and if he does not deliver by the end of this week as he promised (his third chance) I am going to go over to get my research from him and what's done of the 3D models. I think the total work time invested in these by his estimation, has been 4-5 hours.

Are there any Solidworks designers out there that would like to help me get these models done that I can work out some kind of arrangement with? I feel like I've wasted three months trusting this guy who tells me now he didn't realize the details would be so challenging after promising me upfront how quick and simple this job would be.

Here are images of what's done thus far from him (this project was commissioned last November, just to do the lid edges and feet and railings, all the other dimensional stuff for the box and lid were provided by me.

NEW_ARK.jpg

01_21.jpg

What's left are adding the reliefs on the feet, and the lambs tongue detail to the edges and making the railings rounded and connected at the edges.

RELATED THREAD:

http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=24846

Attachments

• NEW_ARK.jpg
    NEW_ARK.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 2,757
  • 01_21.jpg
    01_21.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Re: Any 3D Solidworks Modelers out there to help finish an Ark?

I got my Solid Works files back... as I mentioned in my first message, what's left on this model are the lambs tongue details on the lid edges, and artichoke leaf texture on the feet.

NO ONE wants to get in on this project? If I can get the 3D models finished for the lid edges, legs and railings, I was going to have them rapid-prototyped and replicated for sale so people could use them for their own ark builds, since they are the most complicated pieces next to the cherubs, which it seems everyone can get...

JV

It's great to see you push forward with this J. You heard from Doc? He hasn't answered my mail for months:(

Regards
TAZ

I could probably do it in 3D studio, but I don't know if I have an export module that can create rapid-prototype parts.

RGP

don't know if i can be of any help, but i have become fairly good with Rhino3D, which can exports files as stl files.

It's great to see you push forward with this J. You heard from Doc? He hasn't answered my mail for months:(

Regards
TAZ

Of course not. He got what he needed from everyone and moved on. No biggie though, some of the parts from his inaccurate kit served as research for this so I'll have something comparable to the replicas on COW at some point...

That, detailing the feet with the "artichoke leaf" reliefs and also engineer the parts so that they can be assembled with the correct interlocks, a detail not supplied by the Doc Riviere kit he was peddling last year.

I'd love to be a customer of yours, so I hope this goes through. As TAZ can attest, I sent some crook (that he vouched for) $100 a few years back as a deposit for an Ark kit that never materialized. Never got the money back. Still pissed.

My wife actually wants this replica! We're going to use it to store extra sheets/comforter in. Perfect!

I'm intrigued by this project, so hope it goes forward. I'd love to see a fruiting of all the work that has already been put into it.

I've been taking a Solidworks course so that I might be able to complete the ark designs I commissioned, it also occurred to me that the Hasbro Ark could be used for measurements to scale upwards to 1:1 and integrate into my existing designs for some accuracy, I think the Hasbro ark has got the dimensions right in miniature scale, everything looks right except for the cherub details. But the size of them on top still allow one with a 1:1 replica cherub to calculate a scale-up...

arc1dc6.jpg

arc2vt5.jpg

img9229lf3.jpg

img9243vp2.jpg

1:1 Ark Cherub Replica Length (from wing tip to outer edge of lower pedestal): 16"

Hasbro Cherub Length (from wing tip to outer edge of lower pedestal): 2.5"

16 ÷ 2.5 = 6.4

Multiply all measurements of the Hasbro Ark by 6.4 and you have the measurements for the fairly accurate proper 1:1 scale replica.

I'm going to plug the scaled up Hasbro measurements into the Solidworks model I have to adjust everything and see how close my estimates were on the existing model... need to get calipers though to get all the right measurements on the Hasbro Ark first.

JV

The original guy I paid flaked out, since that time I've been looking for people to help but no one knew Solidworks so I started a class 4 weeks ago. A few new people have chimed in that know different programs this would have to be exported to, I still need to make sure measurements are right.

Back