Bandai Polycap help

Jimmer

I just picked up a Bandai kit at a used book store that a couple of parts had been removed from the runner.
Looks like someone had second thoughts and sold the kit.

Anyway, I was so diligent in making sure every part was present that I overlooked doing a polycap count...and of course 2 are gone.

If I can permanently attach the limbs I don't mind giving up articulation, so...anyone have any tips on "making" a replacement? I'm thinking try to build out of the unused polycap parts, thought someone may have suggestions.

Thanks

If your spare polycaps are somewhat similar in size and function you can totally swap em out. They're very flexible so if you can shave down or thicken up the relevant pegs it should work!

Alternatively you can see if any hits from the same line include your missing polycaps as redundant parts. Depending on the scale and line, you can find a ton of spare polycaps in some kits.

I just picked up a Bandai kit at a used book store that a couple of parts had been removed from the runner.
Looks like someone had second thoughts and sold the kit.

Anyway, I was so diligent in making sure every part was present that I overlooked doing a polycap count...and of course 2 are gone.

If I can permanently attach the limbs I don't mind giving up articulation, so...anyone have any tips on "making" a replacement? I'm thinking try to build out of the unused polycap parts, thought someone may have suggestions.

Thanks
Do you know which ones you're missing?

If your spare polycaps are somewhat similar in size and function you can totally swap em out. They're very flexible so if you can shave down or thicken up the relevant pegs it should work!

Alternatively you can see if any hits from the same line include your missing polycaps as redundant parts. Depending on the scale and line, you can find a ton of spare polycaps in some kits.
That's sort of what I'm anticipating...and certainly hoping as far as the softness. I'm hoping to get as close to a correct fit with leftover polycaps I have and use filler, then just glue the affected limb in place.
Thank u

Do you know which ones you're missing?
I'll check tonight, but I know one is A-17...and it's the one that has me most concerned.
It's a "hollowed square piece" that I've not seen in Trooper, Grievous or Fett builds.

Sorry for slow reply, had an illness in family and was tied up a couple of days.

I'll check tonight, but I know one is A-17...and it's the one that has me most concerned.
It's a "hollowed square piece" that I've not seen in Trooper, Grievous or Fett builds.

Sorry for slow reply, had an illness in family and was tied up a couple of days.
It's okay, I understand completely. If you could give me the kit name, I'll look in my spares box and see if I have anything that might help.

It's okay, I understand completely. If you could give me the kit name, I'll look in my spares box and see if I have anything that might help.
It's the Bandai 1/12 C3P-0.
The 2 pieces missing are:
Runner PCF-6AC -- part #6
Runner A -- part #17

1722464587390.png

1722464495516.png

If you have either I'd certainly pay you and pay shipping.
If not, I'm hoping to "fit" my spare polycap part that most resembles part #6, add some type of filler around part (putty, epoxy, something similar) and glue the limb.

Part 17 is gonna be the tricky one, but not impossible.

Anyway, thanks so much.

Attachments

• 1722464475435.png
    1722464475435.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 35
It's the Bandai 1/12 C3P-0.
The 2 pieces missing are:
Runner PCF-6AC -- part #6
Runner A -- part #17

View attachment 1845921

View attachment 1845920

If you have either I'd certainly pay you and pay shipping.
If not, I'm hoping to "fit" my spare polycap part that most resembles part #6, add some type of filler around part (putty, epoxy, something similar) and glue the limb.

Part 17 is gonna be the tricky one, but not impossible.

Anyway, thanks so much.
Let me see what I have...

To double check: are these the parts?
sw08_m0004.jpg

If I don't have them, I could make them up for you, if you have the ones to the remaining leg and would be willing to put them next to a ruler for scale.

Last edited:
Let me see what I have...

To double check: are these the parts?
View attachment 1845952

If I don't have them, I could make them up for you, if you have the ones to the remaining leg and would be willing to put them next to a ruler for scale.
Those are the ones.
If you happen to have them I'd certainly appreciate it.
If not, and you can make them let me know and I'll get shots next to a ruler, and would pay you either way.
Thanks again.

Those are the ones.
If you happen to have them I'd certainly appreciate it.
If not, and you can make them let me know and I'll get shots next to a ruler, and would pay you either way.
Thanks again.
Okay, I checked and I do not have those parts. I'll need pics of the ones you have next to a ruler.

Okay, I checked and I do not have those parts. I'll need pics of the ones you have next to a ruler.
Thanks pengbuzz.
I'm currently out of town, visiting an uncle who has cancer.
I don't mean to get too personal, just hope you'll forgive my slow response.

When I'm home first of the week I'll send photos and see what you can do.
First (to save you the trouble) I'm going to attempt to scratch build the parts.

As I stated, I don't mind gluing the joint in a permanent position (especially being a protocol droid) so I believe I can work something up.
The 2 parts are so small and simple I've even considered using a soft wood and carve them out, glue them into position on each part and then glue the foot to the lower leg. It will be sturdy and lightweight.

However, if scratchbuilding fails I'll send you pics.

Regardless, thanks so much for the help.
I'll let you know either way, hopefully posting a Pic of completed leg.

Thanks again.
Jim

Thanks pengbuzz.
I'm currently out of town, visiting an uncle who has cancer.
I don't mean to get too personal, just hope you'll forgive my slow response.

When I'm home first of the week I'll send photos and see what you can do.
First (to save you the trouble) I'm going to attempt to scratch build the parts.

As I stated, I don't mind gluing the joint in a permanent position (especially being a protocol droid) so I believe I can work something up.
The 2 parts are so small and simple I've even considered using a soft wood and carve them out, glue them into position on each part and then glue the foot to the lower leg. It will be sturdy and lightweight.

However, if scratchbuilding fails I'll send you pics.

Regardless, thanks so much for the help.
I'll let you know either way, hopefully posting a Pic of completed leg.

Thanks again.
Jim
It's all good Jim; let me know if and when you need them. Take as much time as you need, and for now visit with your uncle. :) The project will be there when you get back.

It's pretty sad. I hate when this happens. If you’re cool with sacrificing articulation, you can definitely improvise. Do you have any old polycap kits? One thing you might try is cutting up some of the leftover polycaps or spare parts from other kits. You can shave them down or stack them to create something that fits snugly in the joint. Another idea is using some putty or epoxy to fill in the gap and hold the parts together—just make sure it’s fully dry before moving anything. Super glue could work too if you're confident you won't need to adjust later. Anyone else here tried something similar?

It's pretty sad. I hate when this happens. If you’re cool with sacrificing articulation, you can definitely improvise. Do you have any old polycap kits? One thing you might try is cutting up some of the leftover polycaps or spare parts from other kits. You can shave them down or stack them to create something that fits snugly in the joint. Another idea is using some putty or epoxy to fill in the gap and hold the parts together—just make sure it’s fully dry before moving anything. Super glue could work too if you're confident you won't need to adjust later. Anyone else here tried something similar?
I took a break and started another kit, but I was thinking something similar with trying to scratch build the part with other polycap.

I've even been thinking of sticking a few polycap shavings in a glass jar with extra thin cement. I'm sure it'll just be a hot mess, but it'd be amazing to find out you can make polycap putty in the same way you make sprue glue.

If (when) that fails I think you're right with "build up" the polycap and epoxy it in place. It's one leg, on 3P0, and I always display him in a static standing pose anyway.

Thanks.

Back