Batarangs from S-7 tool steel.

Wronghands

I had this idea that I should start making real working Batman gear since so much of his stuff is actually feasible and I'm a tool maker and gear geek. This is the first Bat project I've finished. They're laser cut from S-7 ground plate and heat treated to a tough hard spring temper around 54-55 Rc. I used a pic from an image search that I thought looked cool and throwable, cut an aluminum blank and modified the shape a bit until I got the center of gravity close to the center of the body. Then had a computer literate friend scan the blank and make me a vector file. The "S" in S-7 stands for shock resistant and I've used it for making shear blades and blanking dies and it stands up to some ridiculous abuse so it seemed like a good choice even at $130 for a surface ground piece only big enough to get 5 of them cut from.

Here's a few pics...

IMG_2113.JPGIMG_2115.JPGIMG_2116.JPGIMG_2112.JPG

This was my first experiment with Cerakote as well and I'm thrilled how nice the finish came out and how tough it is. I just want to Cerakote everything now.

Anyway, thanks for looking and here's the link to the album with a little more detail on some of the process.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/phorklipht/library/?sort=3&page=1

Very very cool ! Have you thought about doing the recent movie design ? I'd pay good money for a couple of steel Batfleck batarangs !

It's a tricky design but I'm working on it. It's really one of my favorite designs and I've spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at Batarangs.

Batfleck Batarang.jpg
Lots of grinding on inside corners and that's not easy so hardmilling would be the way to go which means a big batch of them and a big initial investment for machine time. I still have 8 of the Arkham game folders to finish up.

These look great. I wish someone with this kind of skill would take a crack at some accurate gold version Begins batarangs (no offense to markpoon)

I've always thought the Beyond Batarang design was silly looking but your take on it is actually very slick looking. I'm thinking black and red G10 composite or carbon fiber with titanium blade edge and screws. I came across your folding DOJ design in my image searches and considered it for some steel builds but I figured the Arkham style would be more popular. Great design work, I'd like to see more of your take on Batarangs. I'm starting to think that making Batman gear from more exotic materials may be a good niche for me.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back