Battle Damaged Captain America Shield

JakeGallows2099

I recently finished my initial paint job on a steel Captain America shield. it's nothing super fancy, but I just wanted a metal one since I am sick of buying cheap plastic ones that get broken when the inevitable drunk guy on 4th of July or Halloween decides to punch it. I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to do some battle damage looks to it. I was thinking of having a few scrapes and bullet impacts, and a couple blast impact scars. My only ideas are to shoot it with one of my airsoft guns to get the bullet damage, and shooting it with a Roman candle firework for the blasts. If anyone has any ideas on how to do it better or easier, I would appreciate it.

This is just a personal thing, but the only damage Cap's shield could possibly take is to the paint job, seeing as it's Adamantium. Scorched dirt and weathered paint would be fine, but dings and scrapes are not the way to go. I COULD be wrong about the ding resistance of Adamantium, but indestructible usually means scratch proof too.

*vibranium

My bad, Cap isn't very high on my list of favorite heroes. I was close though, since I think he had later shields that were adamantium. Either way though, both metals are super resistant.

Edit: Did some research on the wiki, and we were both right. Cap's shield is made from PROTO-Adamantium, which was made using Vibranium, Steel, and an unknown catalyst. But either way, my assertion of " No metal damage at all" still holds true.

Last edited:
Propane torch works great for blast damage. Just be careful not to over do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently finished my initial paint job on a steel Captain America shield. it's nothing super fancy, but I just wanted a metal one since I am sick of buying cheap plastic ones that get broken when the inevitable drunk guy on 4th of July or Halloween decides to punch it. I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to do some battle damage looks to it. I was thinking of having a few scrapes and bullet impacts, and a couple blast impact scars. My only ideas are to shoot it with one of my airsoft guns to get the bullet damage, and shooting it with a Roman candle firework for the blasts. If anyone has any ideas on how to do it better or easier, I would appreciate it.

A lot of us do battle damage by wiping or brushing off paint with acetone. For my shield, I used a small brush dipped in acetone to wipe on bullet marks. Then I used a paper towel to dab on flat black around the bullet marks to make burns. For larger damage, I use a large cloth dipped in acetone to wipe away paint, and then follow up with the flat black burn marks. I highly recommend practicing this process on a scrap piece of metal before you go messing with a carefully painted shield.

*vibranium

In the comics, Cap's shield is made of a vibranium-adamantium alloy. In the films, it's made of pure vibranium.

Back