Limited Run Blade Runner 2049 - K's blaster....in Metal

Hi Brandon,

Any more updates or pics to share?

One thing I was wondering about:

AFAIK pewter/tin is a rather soft metal.
So won't the pewter parts bend or deform in some way if you put pressure on them? E.g. if you squeeze the trigger or the barrel?

At least that is what I remember when handling tin soldiers as a kid.

Thanks.

I’m currently working on the part 2 of moldmaking video.

I’m about to mold the barrel, the rail and the shroud above the trigger.

As for your question,
There is a 3D printed interior structure that is inserted into the barrel during assembly, the solenoid is held in place using this piece so there will be no deformation.

I’ve actually tried to bend reject castings to see how strong they are. i’m satisfied with the level of strength they have.

The lines look so clean. It's not east to get clean casting like this. Nice work!

Thank you! I’m 1/3 of the way through molding the barrel, and my brain has been hurting trying to think ahead as well as inside out to alleviate any potential casting imperfection areas where bubbles could form.

I had Skylu3Design model me a plug to aid in the molding process, which i had Rocketeer print on his Raise.

UMkQPb.jpg

I glued the plug in place with thin CA

9WKgmh.jpg
PMy8xp.jpg

Taped off the barrel to avoid any unnecessary cleaning, and built a box to pour the clay into.

upDFqF.jpg

After pouring, i added an air bubble escape fin for when i’m casting the pewter.

bSoGc9.jpg

I built a box and poured the clay.

vwopEH.jpg

Removed box for better access to clean the piece.

cQKCpv.jpg

The barrel just prior to Mineral Spirits wash.

IaOjcV.jpg

Cleap-up, sprue, and air vent complete.

After this, it was boxed and the first section of silicone was poured. It’s currently post- curing in my workshop with the heat cranked.

I can’t put it in the oven yet, because my wax sprue would melt.

The electrical engineer just sent me this, its the concept for the circuit.

As you can see, first switch powers the unit on, the LEDs power on with a “warm up” sequence. The trigger switch activates the solenoid. After a period of time of no trigger pulls (currently set for 5 seconds for trial purposes) the unit powers down (LEDs go through “cool down” mode.)

Pulling the trigger during powered down status will not activate solenoid.

***Note*** the flickering of the LED is from the camera and will not be seen in person.

This looks all very good.

But why would the unit power down by itself after 5 trigger pulls?
Surely in a firefight one would not want the gun turn off by itself?

Probably to conserve battery... because it's just a prop. Lots of props are like that, from Farnsworths to various blasters out there, they run on a timer starting from the first or last motion or button press.

In any case, he didn't say five trigger pulls, he said five seconds after the last trigger pull and it's just for trial purposes so far.

Probably to conserve battery... because it's just a prop. Lots of props are like that, from Farnsworths to various blasters out there, they run on a timer starting from the first or last motion or button press.

In any case, he didn't say five trigger pulls, he said five seconds after the last trigger pull and it's just for trial purposes so far.

CapgLy.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back