Boba Fett helmet build, ongoing project.

That black wash goes a long way in really pushing the illusion of realism! Fantastic work.

How much black wash will the rest of the helmet receive?

That black wash goes a long way in really pushing the illusion of realism! Fantastic work.

How much black wash will the rest of the helmet receive?

That was only a test piece. Compared to that the actual helmet will probably only receive half of that weathering.
I don't want it to be too weathered, which i felt that initial piece was, for what i am trying to achieve anyway.

I still need to seal the paint which on it now, but struggling to find a flat/matte clear coat to buy.

looking awesome! I like the paint scheme for sure, I loved the airbrushing and I think a lighter wash would finish it off

Hi again,

No, I'm still not finished yet.
Here it is as it stands.
If you look back you'll see how warped it had become, the brow/frown had risen a frighten amount.
I left it sitting so it wasn't hanging on a stand and let it settle back into shape, looks much better, or i think it does...

There is a slight difference in angle between those two pictures, there are not the same.

As you can see, the range finder has been neglected a little bit, that'll have to wait for now.

And again, a front on picture from before and after, you can see what i mean about the warping

BEFORE

​AFTER (NOW)

I think where is current is sitting was reason behind the warping, as well as having it hanging on that stand.
It is currently in the back room of the house, which is bathed in sunlight and heat all afternoon/evening with little ventilation, the room can get very hot.

Whats Next?
I have ordered my Matt clear coat finally, that'll go on next, and then i can look at black washing and applying my rust.

Still need to finish the range finder, but its not essential right now.
Till next time, happy building.

started weathering

some rusting to begin with.
(probably a few too many pictures this post)

Frothing/bubbling away.

Left to dry out over night, left nice and rusty crusty.

Recently started giving it a light black wash, will be added further rust on top of that though, might be roughing up some areas with sandpaper, but undecided on that.

till next time... that is if there is anyone still watching/following this ...:unsure

Hi again,

Thanks for letting me know there are some people still keeping an eye on my build, I know I keep saying it, im getting a little fed up of hearing myself, but i am actually almost done with this build.

Anyway, I don't really have much of an update, I've done some black washing and and further rusting.

I still need to do some clean up on this though, tidy it up a bit, might sound a bit strange, trying to tidy up what looks like a rusty dirty mess but I'll give it a go.

Till next time.

Both the build and paint job are phenomenal! Excellent work! The paint job is inspiring. I looks like actual rust! How you achieved this is beyond me!

Both the build and paint job are phenomenal! Excellent work! The paint job is inspiring. I looks like actual rust! How you achieved this is beyond me!

There is a two part paint that the model railroad collectors use. You basically paint on the first coat and as you paint over with the second coat it ( almost magically) changes the basecoat into rust.. Sorry i can't recall the name of it just now but if i come across it i will repost here.

There is a two part paint that the model railroad collectors use. You basically paint on the first coat and as you paint over with the second coat it ( almost magically) changes the basecoat into rust.. Sorry i can't recall the name of it just now but if i come across it i will repost here.

Awesome. That would be very helpful for some of my projects. Definitely let me know if you remember!

Thanks!

helmet is looking awesome dude! still aint got round to doing mine haha, got it built, bondo'd? and smoothed off but gave up once i hit building the ears lol. did you use sintra to build yours in the end?

The rust effect, is less effect, more actual rust, i can in no way take credit for it though, got the method from Volpin, Link to page where he explains it;
https://www.facebook.com/VolpinProps/photos/a.113042158715817.12891.112981562055210/692018017484892/

helmet is looking awesome dude! still aint got round to doing mine haha, got it built, bondo'd? and smoothed off but gave up once i hit building the ears lol. did you use sintra to build yours in the end?
I used styrene to build my ear caps,and then moulded them to have a more sturdy piece.

What matte clear coat did you end up using on this? Any chance you could share what you used to get the rust effect?
I used Plasti-Kote matt clear coat, twist and spray can, 400ml to be precise, worked a treat.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back