Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Plugged away at this beast a bit more this week...

Added about 100 more lights and have pretty much exhausted my reference images for the light pattern.

Still need to figure out how to do small rectangle lights for the trench.

Sorry I couldn't make it buddy! PLEASE text me the next time you're headed back home and I'll come by for beer and maybe some Death Star work!

More pics for you slobs...

IMG_9668.JPG
IMG_9665.JPG
IMG_9666.JPG
IMG_9667.JPG
IMG_9669.JPG
IMG_9663.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9664.JPG
    IMG_9664.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 199
Go ahead, keep rubbing it in... :)

Dan

Getting darn close to running aground on this...

Have exhausted all my light pattern reference, with the area to the right of the dish incomplete.

Still have trench lights to do, and the center disc on the dish STILL bugs me (flat, versus concave - and against the larger dish, creates the illusion of actually being convex).

I may take a quick and simple casting of the center disc, using brush-on latex for the mold. I'd then try warming the resin cast to test to see if I can press it into a concave form.

If that is successful, then next would be considering tearing out the current disc (second, actually), and adding the cast.

You know that Center disk issue you have... Its kind of begging for a 3D print... kind of a simple shape - take a few measurements and draw it up. I bet that if you're 3D modeling ignorant like myself there are a few around here that would do it for you gratis :).. well bragging rights that they "finished" your dish :D.

Jedi Dade

You know that Center disk issue you have... Its kind of begging for a 3D print... kind of a simple shape - take a few measurements and draw it up. I bet that if you're 3D modeling ignorant like myself there are a few around here that would do it for you gratis :).. well bragging rights that they "finished" your dish :D.

Jedi Dade

Yeah, you know, I uploaded the dish portion of my digital Death Star model for someone who is building a physical model from a standard 12-inch globe:

Death Star dish by 3DImpact on Shapeways

I do a lot of this kind of modeling in modo and would be happy to help...

Dan

Jedi Dade

Not a bad idea, JD...

Yeah, you know, I uploaded the dish portion of my digital Death Star model for someone who is building a physical model from a standard 12-inch globe:

Death Star dish by 3DImpact on Shapeways

I do a lot of this kind of modeling in modo and would be happy to help...

Dan

Why scaled to 11"??? Seems like the standard 6" Hemispheres would be the goto for that kind of model... Let me put it this way - if it were scaled for a 12" dome I'd have bought one when I visited your shapeways page :).

Jedi Dade

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back