Conqueror_Worm

I've been seeing some really nice 3D printed droids in the C-3PO builders Facebook group, and I've decided that I need to get in on this. The models by Jesse_M seem to be the most popular, so thats what I'll be using. My printer is a CR-10, and I used CC3D PLA Silk Gold filament. Model was sliced into 0.2mm layers using Cura.
27r9FY8O_o.jpg

The assembly:
C2VP2k98_o.jpg
zpiyWkM0_o.jpg
ftMBYctW_o.jpg

Some pictures of the printing chaos:
uX3YmdaC_o.jpg
9ntSDh5s_o.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my head. I think if I scaled it up about 5% and reprinted it, I could wear it. I think I could get away with making it a little bigger, it looks pretty small next to the other buckets:
uB7YOJ5s_o.jpg

Torso V2 model by Jesse (scaled to 105%), Hatchbox PLA, 0.3mm layer height, 35 hours print time.
BuIjeBba_o.jpg

Left Arm model by Jesse (scaled to 105%), Hand model by Gordon Tarpley, Hatchbox PETG, 0.2mm Layer height
2dajsPZt_o.jpg

cnDBQ8hl_o.jpg

First eye prototype, LEDs are too yellow, and maybe a little too bright.
eUppSQLX_o.jpg

Heres a question, how coarse is the plastic?
Most of the prints have a 0.3 mm layer height

Looking good! That filament is much shinier than the gold Hatchbox I used.
I built my animatronic 3PO using Jesse's files, plus some from Tim O'Sullivan.
Animatronic C-3PO
I saw that, that is really cool!

I am getting very excited, I never thought I would have a 3PO, let alone BE a 3PO! I think the last time i attempted to build one, I was in 4th grade, and I used cardboard boxes, cans, and paper mache. I wonder if there are any pictures of that abomination...

A quick test fit (this is going to be a very warm costume)-
gZsOEuNH_o.jpg

I've been experimenting with the eyes, but I haven't found a configuration I like yet. In the above image, both eyes have yellow LEDs, but one eye has a white backing, and the other has a black backing I bought some warm white LEDs, and they really help tone down the orange color, but now the eyes seem to have a green tint.
Warm white LEDs with gold backing:
gPQYnjzc_o.jpg

This is pretty much the current state:
faZuYGfW_o.jpg

My girlfriend commented that the apartment is starting to look like a sandcrawler. That's a compliment, right?

My 3D printed antenna is extremely fragile, so I decided to try making one out of brass tubing and washers. It worked much better than I was expecting! The process was pretty simple, mostly just soldering and sanding/polishing.
The hardest part was drilling the ID of the washers to the correct size. I ended up soldering a stack of washers together (super glue wasn't strong enough), placing the stack inside the drill press chuck, and very slowly bringing the chuck down over a stationary drill bit. Once the ID was correct, I melted the solder and separated them.
Many washers died to bring us this information.
LJ9v4sHa_o.jpg

cwdM4wJ9_o.jpg

GvSJ5Zjx_o.jpg

I have an idea for the eyes-
xbPrRNMJ_o.jpg

Brass tubing is really hard to find, but copper tubing is everywhere.
I used to work at a science museum, and we did a demonstration called Gold Pennies. The basic idea is that you plate zinc onto a copper penny, then heat it so that the zinc combines with the copper to form brass plating.
Alchemy1.jpg

So, can I scale this up, and use it to brass plate larger pieces of copper?
I don't have the chemicals that are usually used (ZnCL2, NaOH), so I tried to use electrolysis with a NaCl solution to plate the zinc on the copper-
PMJYsn5J_o.jpg

but I didn't get a shiny silver part-
TTPIjsnG_o.jpg

I heated it anyway, but no brass. I tried a few more experiments with electrolysis, but no luck (see copper fitting in first image). Next time I will try using oven cleaner as a source of NaOH, and try the more typical experiment.

In other news, I switched my 3D printer from a 0.4 mm to 0.8 mm nozzle, so I can print stronger parts faster. That took a couple weeks of trouble shooting, but I'm getting decent prints now.

I did complete one very important piece of hardware-
pvXZHN9n_o.jpg

Looking terrific! I plan on starting this soon myself as a static display, I was curious what your settings are with the .8mm nozzle?

How have I missed this?!?!

This is nuts! I’ve wanted a red 3po arm since TFA came out. I just recently learned about Jessie’s files, but how on earth did you get gordon’s band files?! I didn’t think he shared anything?

Have you been keeping track of print times? I’m just curious, I know your average proton pack print takes around 200 hours, I can’t imagine the large print times

That printer is really large too!! What a setup!

You more then half way done! Can you tell I’m excited over this?! Lol

Reall outstanding work!

Thanks guys!
Hammer3246
eSun PETG, Black
  • 0.8 mm Nozzle
  • 0.5 mm Layer Height
  • 2 Walls
  • 2 Bottom layers, 3 top layers
  • 30% Infill
  • 30% Infill Overlap + connect infill lines
  • 227° C Extruder
  • 85° C Bed
  • 115% Flow
  • 4 mm Retraction
  • 30 mm/sec Print Speed
  • 100% Cooling
  • 1.5 mm Support X/Y distance
  • 0.5 mm Support Z Distance
Moisture in the filament was the biggest problem I had. Filament that worked fine with the 0.4 mm nozzle, would crackle and hiss as it came out of the 0.8 mm nozzle, creating a blistered texture and weak prints. I ended up building a filament dryer. I dry the spools for around 4 hours (even new spools that are fresh out of the box), During printing, I leave the dryer running and feed the filament from the dryer to the printer. The prints are much nicer now.

Halliwax
Gordon shared his hand files here.
I don't have a total print time, but my first print was almost 1.5 months ago. When I was using the 0.4 nozzle, a typical print would take around 30 hours (the back half of the head was 40 hours). The 0.8 nozzle cut the time in half, and the prints are much stronger.
I love my CR-10, 12" x 12" x 15" build space!

C_W, would you mind giving your body build or thoughts on it? Just wondering what the proper sizing might be for myself if I decide to dive into this. Personally, I am 5'11" and 185 lbs if you could give some advice on scaling of the models.

Last edited:
I'm 5' 10", 165 lbs
Head - 23 1/4". At 100% scale, I couldn't get the head to close. At 105% it feels a little loose, and I can wear it with glasses.
Chest - 39". At 105%, the chest is very tight, I may reprint at 106% if I feel ambitious.
Waist - 32". At 105%, I couldn't get the shorts past my hips. I removed most of the waist return edge, now I can just barely get them past my hips, but once they are on, the fit is a little loose.
Arms - At 100%, the upper arm is pretty tight, the forearm is big. 105% the upper arm fits pretty well, the forearm is huge. 106% is too big.
Legs - At 105%, they are too long. Reprinting with X and Y at 105%, and Z at 95%
Hands - Still testing
Feet - Still testing

Last edited:
Can you estimate what the complete 3-PO will cost or even single parts like the head?

That’s at least a whole lotta printing time, huh? :(

These are the estimates I've been using-
Head - 2 spools, 3 days
Torso - 4 spools, 5 days
Arms (both) - 2 spools, 2 days
Shorts - 2 spools, 2 days
Legs (both) - 7 spools, 10 days
Feet (both) - 1 spool, 2 days
Hands (both) - 1/2 spool, 1 day

18 spools total, at $25 USD/spool = $450
25 days of printing

That washer antenna is great! Could you give a full part list for it so I can get ordering brassware on amazon?! I’ve often wondered if there is a good combination of compression fittings that would make arm pistons.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back